Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Burst Pipes everywhere

• 01-08-2012 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi, I am thinking of buying a 5yr old unfinished house in an estate, which is on a pile driven foundation (land was swampy). I was a bit hesitant but because neighbours got engineers to look at their houses I felt it should be ok. Now I have been told that every pipe in the house is burst and needs to be replaced, also the gas system was damaged, I was told that the burst pipes were caused by the bad frost of winter. My question is 'should I be concerned, could it be caused by house subsidence, and should I forget about this house, and look out for a house on a more solid foundation?
    Thanks in advance to all who reply!!...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Malena72 wrote: »
    Hi, I am thinking of buying a 5yr old unfinished house in an estate, which is on a pile driven foundation (land was swampy). I was a bit hesitant but because neighbours got engineers to look at their houses I felt it should be ok. Now I have been told that every pipe in the house is burst and needs to be replaced, also the gas system was damaged, I was told that the burst pipes were caused by the bad frost of winter. My question is 'should I be concerned, could it be caused by house subsidence, and should I forget about this house, and look out for a house on a more solid foundation?
    Thanks in advance to all who reply!!...

WALK AWAY SLOWLY..!!i wouldnt be worrying about the pile driving, i am thinking about the work to sort out ur plumbing!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Malena72

tred, I won't be paying for the plumbing, the seller is in the process of doing all this re-plumbing, we had already agreed on house price before he realised about the burst pipes when he turned on the water, and he is not asking for more money for this work. My real concern is whether it could have been the frost in winter before last winter as he says, or could the house have shifted? And if so, could this happen again?
    Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You really need your own engineer/surveyor on this one. Its very very important you do. Burst pipes should not matter but i imagine the water was running for a long time which might mean serious damage.

Wardrobes /kitchen/ plasterboard floor board electricics

I dont imagine the house is timber frame but you dont say.

There are far too many good houses available to worry with this one. Even getting it free could set you back an awful lot.

Thanks for your reply! The house is not timber frame, and has no timber work at all done yet, and no tiles on floors. I didn't see any dampness or cracks anywhere, except outside the paths around house have sunk. These paths have been dug up for the new plumbing work, and will all be re-done. A lovely stove has been installed. I am not paying for this new plumbing work, the builder is doing this. (He bought the house off another builder) I do intend getting an engineer. By the way, at what stage do I hire him, is it after work is complete as I have been told by the builder?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Thanks for your reply! The house is not timber frame, and has no timber work at all done yet, and no tiles on floors. I didn't see any dampness or cracks anywhere, except outside the paths around house have sunk. These paths have been dug up for the new plumbing work, and will all be re-done. A lovely stove has been installed. I am not paying for this new plumbing work, the builder is doing this. (He bought the house off another builder) I do intend getting an engineer. By the way, at what stage do I hire him, is it after work is complete as I have been told by the builder?

You hire him/her now while the work is open and can be seen,

It seems you have made up your mind.... Bes of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

If you have any sense at all walk away from this one.

The foundations may or may not be the cause of the pipe failure but that failure is indicative of a poor build and fix. The fact that the paths have sunk is even more of a clue that things are not right.

Even if you do get a guarantee for future protection they are usually worthless. You only have to look at new build protection to see how squirmy people come when there is a claim. (Pyrite!)

The money you save from not buying will probably get you several "lovely stove's" for a different property.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

The house in on piles and the paths are just slabs so the paths settle with the land and house remains. This is perfectly common for piled houses. Probably the cause of outside pipe damage

BUT...

I just bought a house that had no occupants for 4 years and there were NO leaks anywhere in that time. Even during the 2 bad winters, the water was on and no leaks. Fair enough this is exceptional but if you have more than a 'few' I would guess there was something wrong with the original plumbing.

My advice, get an insured engineer immediately and get him to sign off everything on paper.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

A lot of 'if's and but's' I am reading here, for what is going to be the biggest purchase of your life!

I think walking away is certainly an option, once it's yours, there isn't much you can do about it!

Thanks for all replies. Its a big decision! I have been looking for almost a year now and this house is the one that seems best for me regarding location, neighbourhood, room dimensions, how it is facing regarding sun, not overlooked and near shops which is important for me as I don't drive. And price is good for my budget. When I first saw it and heard it was pile driven I didn't quite understand and then people put my mind at ease and as someone here said about paths coming away from house, that its normal when house is piled and lawns, paths are not. So after 5 yrs the grounds should be settled and lawns or tarmac will look good when its done. I felt ok about this house. Then when builder turned on the water and found leaks I did wonder could this be caused by the house shifting rather than frost, but today I spoke to someone who put my mind at ease. So hopefully the fact that all plumbing pipes are being replaced that it will be a good job. Of course I will get an engineer, but can an engineer know how the plumbing has been done under the floors? and know if I will have trouble with it. I will meet with builder soon and have someone with me to ask all the relevant questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Of course I will get an engineer, but can an engineer know how the plumbing has been done under the floors? and know if I will have trouble with it.

I'm and engineer and no they won't know, but the main purpose of hiring an engineer is to have someone to sue should things go belly up. If he signs off saying foundations are fine, no settlement and in years to come your house collapses, its his insurance that pays for it all. That's why they must be insured and not a really old engineer either as they could possibly kick the bucket and leave you with nobody to sue. Thats also why I said get everything on paper as if something happens it will be needed.

To be honest I would absolutely do something alternative with your gas pipes coming in if paths settle. I worked in a small office that was constructed the same way and the paths settled over a foot in 3-4 years. Pipes stand no chance and its not something to chance it on. Whatever about water, gas kills.

• Advertisement

Good point about not hiring an elderly engineer, wouldn't have thought of that! Don't even know who I will be hiring yet, have to ask around. Thanks for your advice regarding engineer being insured!
    Also your advice about gas pipes. I've always felt fearful of gas and none of my friends/family have gas. I even thought that I'd always be imagining I'm smelling gas! I'd rather have oil and I did mention it to the builder, so should I go for the oil, get the tank and burner thing connected up before he puts in the new paths, and get the gas disconnected altogether? Also was wondering is the oil cheaper. Asked builder is there a standing charge for the gas like electricity that u pay even if you are not using the gas, or a maintenance/service charge, he didn't know. It sort of freaks me out to think there is a gas tank somewhere underneath in that estate!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Mutha

"not a really old engineer either as they could possibly kick the bucket and leave you with nobody to sue"

Ah hear, I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gorugeen

Walk away from this property while you still can. i have considerable experience with "pilers" and I wouldn't trustthem as far as I could throw'em. I been involved in numerous horror shows involving2 swampy land". Leggit, quickly.

Advertisement