Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-04-2014, 23:00   #8656
Diego Simeone

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpong View Post
You're over estimating the ability of Bohs and Shels to attract crowds.
My basic point is that it would be foolish to build a stadium that wouldn't be able to cater for crowds that they have attracted in the recent past. Obviously the derby crowd a couple of weeks back is an outlier when looking at the past few years, but not so much in the years before that when both clubs were successful.

I know and agree that neither club will regularly attract crowds of 6000 or even 4000. However, if they do exceed the 4000 figure even 5-10% of the time (which they have done regularly within the past decade), then having a 4000 seater stadium is a big mistake. The marginal cost for an extra 1000/2000 seats is very small, I don't see any logical reason to inhibit both clubs' ability to attract supporters for the more glamorous fixtures.
Advertisement
10-04-2014, 23:03   #8657
Gavin "shels"

Send a message via MSN to Gavin "shels"
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpong View Post
You're over estimating the ability of Bohs and Shels to attract crowds.
Because Cork, Rovers and Sligo have always been getting thousands at matches?
(2) thanks from:
11-04-2014, 11:06   #8658
djpbarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeky View Post
Honestly, I don't subscribe to the hugely optimistic 'if you build it, they will come' projections of Pat Dolan (I remember watching, mouth agape, as he called for a string of 25,000 seater stadiums), but it's worth noting that a decent, comfortable stadium with nearby parking and transport links can help to boost attendances too.
Yep, there are some pretty good examples here in the UK of big jumps in attendances following moves to new grounds (e.g. Chesterfield and Rotherham). The tricky part is retaining the bigger crowds.
11-04-2014, 18:25   #8659
marwelie

Tallaght will probably never be full for an LOI game but ,as it stands, despite it being the best football facility in the country (bar Landsdowne Road) it still isn't big enough to hold European football. We had to bring in extra seating to play our matches at home in the Europa League, irrespective of whether we filled them or not. Minimum of 8,500 seats required.

I wish they would build at both ends though because it is the coldest place on earth to watch football when the wind takes hold in there.
11-04-2014, 18:32   #8660
CSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwelie View Post
Tallaght will probably never be full for an LOI game but ,as it stands, despite it being the best football facility in the country (bar Landsdowne Road) it still isn't big enough to hold European football. We had to bring in extra seating to play our matches at home in the Europa League, irrespective of whether we filled them or not. Minimum of 8,500 seats required.

I wish they would build at both ends though because it is the coldest place on earth to watch football when the wind takes hold in there.
Turners Cross surely? The lack of anything at either end gives off a bit of a ****e vibe. Tallaght may be shiny and new but it rarely gives off the vibe that you're in a proper football ground. Better than Tolka granted, but Tolka definitely more built for atmosphere.
Advertisement
11-04-2014, 22:35   #8661
dfx-

Mod: Soccer
Quote:
Originally Posted by marwelie View Post
Tallaght was filled for the Derry home game in 2009 with only one stand open..

I'd say Bohs in 2009 and the opening game against Pats with the East Stand would be very very close to full. Game where Twigg won with a penalty, huge amounts of people there.
11-04-2014, 23:40   #8662
Diego Simeone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfx- View Post
Tallaght was filled for the Derry home game in 2009 with only one stand open..

I'd say Bohs in 2009 and the opening game against Pats with the East Stand would be very very close to full. Game where Twigg won with a penalty, huge amounts of people there.
Yeah I remember there being a big struggle for tickets for the first few Bohs games in Tallaght. One in particular I ended up being in the Rovers section. Tallaght has had 5000+ for a good few league games.
13-04-2014, 01:18   #8663
dreamers75

Pats fans (myself included) called Sean Hoare as the greatest thing ever last year. How long we hold onto him is irrelevant.

Maynooth college fans would have seen him up close, hes the reason Bucko let Kenna go. Chap has a future in football at a higher level, hes our next Jake Carroll.
13-04-2014, 01:26   #8664
steirishrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamers75 View Post
Pats fans (myself included) called Sean Hoare as the greatest thing ever last year. How long we hold onto him is irrelevant.

Maynooth college fans would have seen him up close, hes the reason Bucko let Kenna go. Chap has a future in football at a higher level, hes our next Jake Carroll.
He was fantastic last night, looked very assured & confident. A real leader of men & captain in the future. Hopefully he stays with us for a couple seasons to develop on these shores
Advertisement
13-04-2014, 10:13   #8665
aliveandkicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamers75 View Post

Yeah he was impressive on Friday night. That was the first time I've seen him play and he does look like he could be the real deal. What kind of contract have you got him on?

PS mods, what's the story with this thread? I thought the LOI 2014 thread was set up to replace this one since it's become so large. People seem to be using both so it's a bit confusing.
16-08-2014, 14:56   #8666
overshoot

Fanad United pulling out of the u19 league apparently. was wondering would the new format have an effect, their longest trip last year after Dundalk would have been Finn Harps!
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion