Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaggia Classic servicing

• 12-08-2014 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

I have a Gaggia classic home coffee machine that is about 2.5 years old and is used lightly, maybe 150-200 espresso per year. From looking online it seems I should have serviced it by now. Anyone recommend where I would service it or what to expect to pay? I am in Dublin. I rang the service place on the Gaggia Ireland website earlier earlier and was told that they only service machines that you buy directly from them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

There is a place in Harolds Cross that will do it but if memory serves it fairly expensive. Servicing your machine is really quite straight forward. The only part you should need is a new gasket that you should be able to pick up online for a couple of quid. Loads on youtube on servicing it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mraie

if you have done descaling and back flushing I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd take out the gasket and clean around that area, it still needs cleaning even if you backflush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭HiCloy

Thanks all, I'll give it a go myself

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'm kinda in the same position, I have a 2yr old Gaggia that I picked up used so I can't be sure of the previous owners regime. In any case I ordered a new shower screen and rubber ring and I'm also going to give it a good flush and implement a regular cleaning cycle from here on in.
    So just wondering should I also change the gasket whilst I'm there ? What improvements can I expect by doing so? Is there any other parts I should be looking to replace or other tasks I should be doing to service it? Do you need to do anything with the pump?

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I'm kinda in the same position, I have a 2yr old Gaggia that I picked up used so I can't be sure of the previous owners regime. In any case I ordered a new shower screen and rubber ring and I'm also going to give it a good flush and implement a regular cleaning cycle from here on in.
    So just wondering should I also change the gasket whilst I'm there ? What improvements can I expect by doing so? Is there any other parts I should be looking to replace or other tasks I should be doing to service it? Do you need to do anything with the pump?

Eh, aren't the rubber ring and the gasket the same thing?

http://www.watermark.ie/proddetail.php?prod=GGS&Gaggia-Group-Seal-/-Gasket-For-Gaggia-Classic-&-New-Baby&cat=7

Sorry yeah what I meant to say was shower screen and the group seal that you linked. Apart from these are there any other parts I should look to replace, given the unit is approx 2 yrs old.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Sorry yeah what I meant to say was shower screen and the group seal that you linked. Apart from these are there any other parts I should look to replace, given the unit is approx 2 yrs old.

The gasket is very high quality, I'd seriously doubt it needs replacing after only two years but that might depend on how often you've used the machine and cleaned the gasket. Take it out, examine it & clean it in a mild detergent solution.

The shower screen is all metal, what makes you think you need a replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭James_R

coylemj wrote: »
    The gasket is very high quality, I'd seriously doubt it needs replacing after only two years but that might depend on how often you've used the machine and cleaned the gasket. Take it out, examine it & clean it in a mild detergent solution.

The shower screen is all metal, what makes you think you need a replacement?

The machine was pre used, not by me so I can't be sure of the previous owners cleaning regime. I don't think it was too frequent so I decided for the sake of £3 to replace the shower screen so I know it's completely free of any coffee oil build up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Ever so slightly off thread but, I think relevant. I live in Dublin, we don't have problems with hard water. I've heard mention of descaling the Gaggia Classic periodically. Am I right to presume this is only relevant if you are in a hard water area and have problems with limescale etc.

I have the Cafiza stuff for backflushing on order from Amazon and will probably do that this weekend. Do I need to do both living in a soft water area?

garbanzo wrote: »
    Ever so slightly off thread but, I think relevant. I live in Dublin, we don't have problems with hard water. I've heard mention of descaling the Gaggia Classic periodically. Am I right to presume this is only relevant if you are in a hard water area and have problems with limescale etc.

I have the Cafiza stuff for backflushing on order from Amazon and will probably do that this weekend. Do I need to do both living in a soft water area?

'Dublin' covers four local authorities, check your local authority website to see if the water is officially soft. It certainly is in virtually all of Dun Laoghaire.

I can tell from the electric kettle that my water is soft and based on the numbers on the DLR co. co. website, I don't need salt in the dishwasher so I don't bother descaling the Gaggia. I use the Cafiza (about half a teaspoon) to backflush. The visual 'instructions' on the side of the container could be in Egyptian hieroglyphs for all the sense I can make of them.

Advertisement