Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's going on over there??? - See mod warning post 194 BEFORE posting!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I forgot to mention the meth abuse too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

elastico wrote: »
    You opened a thread making a claim that there are almost weekly incidents of irish causing havoc in Australia.

So far we are able to find about 2 or at a stretch 3 incidents a year, which makes them quite rare

Are you in a position to back up you claim of 50 or so incidents a year or not?

Here's another one to add to the list 07/01/2015: Irish man denied bail in Sydney for setting fire to Christmas tree http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/irish-man-denied-bail-in-sydney-for-setting-fire-to-christmas-tree-1.2057548

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

catbear wrote: »
    I forgot to mention the meth abuse too.

Been a while since you were in The Zombie Towns Dublin, Cork, Waterford ect, ect hey :rolleyes:

I actually have more time for people who don't like a place and decide it's not for them than somebody who stays somewhere they don't like putting a price tag on their morals, happiness and time, just being bitter and making a fool of themselves... Life's to short for that craic, each to their own hey.

An email to all members of St Finbarr’s GFC club claims that Perth police are “extremely unhappy and appalled by the antisocial behaviour which is taking place all too often on the streets and in the pubs across Perthâ€.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/australian-police-ask-gaa-clubs-to-assist-over-drunken-irish-in-perth-26851821.html

Slideways wrote: »
    I dunno how in the feck they got in. Encountered 2 of them after they crashed over a bollard in west Perth.
    The gang dealing in in stolen generators a decade ago were all on whv which don't require police clearence. However there are children involved here so it will interesting to see which visa was used.

• Advertisement

The Aussie wrote: »
    Been a while since you were in The Zombie Towns Dublin, Cork, Waterford ect, ect hey :rolleyes:

I actually have more time for people who don't like a place and decide it's not for them than somebody who stays somewhere they don't like putting a price tag on their morals, happiness and time, just being bitter and making a fool of themselves... Life's to short for that craic, each to their own hey.

Totally agree. I know plenty of Aussies bitching and moaning about Perth but they wouldn't swap it for east coast wages (although that's rapidly changing).

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

An email to all members of St Finbarr’s GFC club claims that Perth police are “extremely unhappy and appalled by the antisocial behaviour which is taking place all too often on the streets and in the pubs across Perthâ€.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/australian-police-ask-gaa-clubs-to-assist-over-drunken-irish-in-perth-26851821.html
    You're really clutching at straws now...just give it up please. You don't live in Australia and you are talking about stuff you know very little about and which should not really concern you because you live on the other side of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

Here we go with the justification again. Why is 10 the magic number, what type of selective criteria suggests that if the number of incidents is less than ten (which it isn't) somehow that's ok?

That poster, like other posters in this thread, isn't actually attempting to justify anything. What he's actually doing is calling you out on your sensationalist views of the Irish in Australia.

Yes there are some troublemakers here and they get deadly with by the law. Does anyone here condone their behaviour? No. Does anyone here feel embarrassed or negatively affected by the behaviour of these people? Absolutely f*cling not. We have no reason to get worked up by what people we don't even know get up to. Do we Irish have a bad name in Australia because of this? Possibly to a few Aussies, but would you really want the approval of someone who writes off a nation of millions based on the actions of a handful??

This thread can probably be locked given the OP is blatantly being willfully stubborn about trying to sensationalise a non story. (Maybe a job on A Current Affair awaits them??!!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mod : if I lock it another thread along the same lines will pop up. They have for the last 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

catbear wrote: »
    Totally agree. I know plenty of Aussies bitching and moaning about Perth but they wouldn't swap it for east coast wages (although that's rapidly changing).

I know a Car Salesman....

He wants to work at the Car Yard across the road...

I think he is a waste of space, he stays where he is unhappy, hates everyone, trolls the internet to make up for his insecurities and his wife ain't the best looking either, LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Here's another one to add to the list 07/01/2015: Irish man denied bail in Sydney for setting fire to Christmas tree http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/irish-man-denied-bail-in-sydney-for-setting-fire-to-christmas-tree-1.2057548

Good man, so now we have 3 verified incidents over the past twelve months.

So to answer the question in the opening thread title, whats going on over there???

Not a lot actually, its only about 3/52nds as bad as you thought it was, based on incidents we have found so far.

Good man, so now we have 3 verified incidents over the past twelve months.

So to answer the question in the opening thread title, whats going on over there???

Not a lot actually, its only about 3/52nds as bad as you thought it was, based on incidents we have found so far.

A police spokesperson said: “This action is in response to reports of a disproportionate number of Irish involved in offences within these entertainment precincts. Irish, however, are only one nationality in a number associated with the backpacker scene where further targeted activities are planned to increase awareness of local liquor licensing and criminal laws.”

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/australian-police-ask-gaa-clubs-to-assist-over-drunken-irish-in-perth-26851821.html

Clutching at straws???

Testament1 wrote: »
    That poster, like other posters in this thread, isn't actually attempting to justify anything. What he's actually doing is calling you out on your sensationalist views of the Irish in Australia.

Yes there are some troublemakers here and they get deadly with by the law. Does anyone here condone their behaviour? No. Does anyone here feel embarrassed or negatively affected by the behaviour of these people? Absolutely f*cling not. We have no reason to get worked up by what people we don't even know get up to. Do we Irish have a bad name in Australia because of this? Possibly to a few Aussies, but would you really want the approval of someone who writes off a nation of millions based on the actions of a handful??

This thread can probably be locked given the OP is blatantly being willfully stubborn about trying to sensationalise a non story. (Maybe a job on A Current Affair awaits them??!!).

How can you say it's a non story when the police in Perth have gone on record saying that there is a disproportionate number of Irish people involved in offences?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,927 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

How can you say it's a non story when the police in Perth have gone on record saying that there is a disproportionate number of Irish people involved in offences?

I really don't know what I'm missing about this thread.

We know Irish people drink more than most. We know Irish culture has a fairly high tolerance for drunken behaviour.

We know Australia has much lower tolerance for drunken behaviour than the Irish are used to. Irish people get involved in antisocial drunken behaviour in oz and end up getting arrested.

What are we missing OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

A police spokesperson said: “This action is in response to reports of a disproportionate number of Irish involved in offences within these entertainment precincts. Irish, however, are only one nationality in a number associated with the backpacker scene where further targeted activities are planned to increase awareness of local liquor licensing and criminal laws.”

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/australian-police-ask-gaa-clubs-to-assist-over-drunken-irish-in-perth-26851821.html

Clutching at straws???
    You've given the answer yourself.

Its in response to "reports" of disproportionate number of Irish

There is no factual evidence to support this, no court court proceedings, no procecutions etc.

You seem to swallow every line the gutter press feed you as gospel.

Its in response to "reports" of disproportionate number of Irish

There is no factual evidence to support this, no court court proceedings, no procecutions etc.

You seem to swallow every line the gutter press feed you as gospel.

So the police are making random statements discriminating against the Irish?

So you will provide a link to this police statement?

Or a link to the opinion of a WA GAA club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

A (less friendly than before) reminder to keep things civil, please.

• Advertisement

Can I have a link to this police statement please.

Can I have a link to this police statement please.

Did you not read the previous link I posted? http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/australian-police-ask-gaa-clubs-to-assist-over-drunken-irish-in-perth-26851821.html

Seriously, are you refusing to not only believe that these incidents are occurring but also the integrity of the newspaper article quoting the police spokesperson and also quoting the contents of the email from St Finbarrs GFC?

What do you want next a link to the police incident reports?

A link to the police statement you referenced in post #109 would be fine.

A link to the police statement you referenced in post #109 would be fine.

It's in the article that I've linked to, which posters refuse to read or believe.

Did you not read the previous link I posted? http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/australian-police-ask-gaa-clubs-to-assist-over-drunken-irish-in-perth-26851821.html

Seriously, are you refusing to not only believe that these incidents are occurring but also the integrity of the newspaper article quoting the police spokesperson and also quoting the contents of the email from St Finbarrs GFC?

Just because the GAA club States they spoke to police does not reflect the view of WA police. If one copper told one GAA official that he believed the irish were out of control and they wrote a letter. Well that letter becomes news.

I have news for you wa police recruited garda a while ago and sponsored them. Hardly in line with your opinion.

Plus state police and state magistrates don't have deportation as a punishment option, so the letter is essentially flawed and reeks of scare mongering.

So back up chicken licken the sky is well in place

It's in the article that I've linked to, which posters refuse to read or believe.

I've read the article and can't find a transcript of a police statement or link to same.

I've read the article and can't find a transcript of a police statement or link to same.

Since you can't find it in the article, I'll include at the bottom of the post.

Just for the record, do you refuse to accept that the article and sources quoted are accurate?

Why are posters bending over backwards to try and deny or discredit that any of these reported incidents are happening.

"How many incidents are there in a year", "Can you name more than ten incidents", "I can't find the quote in the article" "You don't know what you're talking about", "You need to get out more" "The Australian media is the problem" "The Australian people are too uptight" "It's only a bit of craic"

Think we need to stop feeding this troll. Nobody on here is going to change his views on a subject he knows very little about because all of his "knowledge" comes from hearsay and sensationalised media reports.He seems very reluctant to believe what life is like for Irish people living in Australia coming from Irish people who live in Australia.

aido79 wrote: »
    Think we need to stop feeding this troll. Nobody on here is going to change his views on a subject he knows very little about because all of his "knowledge" comes from hearsay and sensationalised media reports.He seems very reluctant to believe what life is like for Irish people living in Australia coming from Irish people who live in Australia.

Coming from Irish person who refuses to accept the findings of the Australian court and newspapers.

Also, is it not the case that some landlords are not willing to rent their properties to Irish people, the reason being is because of of anti-social behaviour?

• Advertisement

Coming from Irish person who refuses to accept the findings of the Australian court and newspapers.

Also, is it not the case that some landlords are not willing to rent their properties to Irish people, the reason being is because of of anti-social behaviour?
    Do you want me to say that all or most Irish people in Australia are causing trouble and a source of anti-social behaviour on a regular basis. I really can't see where you are going with this thread or what sort of answers you want..

Advertisement