Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Brown at the Grammys

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Honey-ec wrote: »
    It's the attitude of the Grammy producers that really galls me. Executive Producer Ken Ehrlich actually said “We’re glad to have him back. I think people deserve a second chance, you know. If you’ll note, he has not been on the Grammys for the past few years and it may have taken us a while to kind of get over the fact that we were the victim of what happened.”

So, the Grammies were victimised by the fact that Chris Brown assaulted his girlfriend and couldn't perform as a result? What the fcuk?

His behaviour on Twitter in the last few days wouldn't exactly point to him being a better man as a result of the experience either.

This piece pretty much sums up my exact feelings on the whole situation - http://hellogiggles.com/im-not-okay-with-chris-brown-performing-at-the-grammys-and-im-not-sure-why-you-are

I want to send in a complaint to Grammy's re: Ken Ehrlich. He's overstepped the mark there. They were a victim of Chris Brown assaulting his girlfriend? How awful. I wonder where you could complain to. Who's with me?

Ok it is this you need to complain on if you wish:

http://www.cbs.com/info/user_services/fb_global_form.php

I'm going to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Honey-ec wrote: »
    It's the attitude of the Grammy producers that really galls me. Executive Producer Ken Ehrlich actually said “We’re glad to have him back. I think people deserve a second chance, you know. If you’ll note, he has not been on the Grammys for the past few years and it may have taken us a while to kind of get over the fact that we were the victim of what happened.”

Wow!

MrStuffins wrote: »

Wow!

Idiotic. Mindblowingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Davyhal wrote: »
    Question for you people who are supporting him... If a partner of your 20 year old friend beat her, even just the once, would you be so forgiving 3 years later?

This. Think if it was your own daughter, sister, friend that this happened to - would you all be so forgiving of the guy and willing to give him a second chance if he battered her the way Chris battered Rihanna?

Now don't get me wrong I have 2 Chris Brown albums (which I had bought before the whole incident) but what he did is dispicable and I haven't bought any of his material since. I'd listen away to it on the radio and sing along but he won't be getting any royalties off me I'm afraid.

It seems crazy that after sujecting Rihanna to such a beating that not one celebrity came out and condemned it (not that I know of anyway) - in fact, now, they are practically lining up to work with him - Pitbull, David Guetta, Chipmunk etc. Beggars belief really.

Having said that he is a very talented artist :pac:

* Just looked at that link Honey-ec - it appears that Usher did say something and then stupidly backed down when there was a backlash against him! WTF? He was dead right what he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

leahyl wrote: »
    This. Think if it was your own daughter, sister, friend that this happened to - would you all be so forgiving of the guy and willing to give him a second chance if he battered her the way Chris battered Rihanna?

Forgiving? Who said anything about forgiving?

The question should be, if this guy did this to my sister, do I think he should be able to return to work as normal 3 years later. And the answer is, yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Forgiving? Who said anything about forgiving?

The question should be, if this guy did this to my sister, do I think he should be able to return to work as normal 3 years later. And the answer is, yes!

Ah yes obviously he should be allowed to return to work but he shouldnt be allowed to be forgiven also which is certainly what it seems like to me - all is forgotten and he gets on with his glittering career. It is a lot about forgiveness as well and how much exposure and publicity he's getting after all this. I don't know - it just doesn't seem right to me.

We'll agree to disagree - that's always the best option I think;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why is he not still in jail for such a horrific assault? There's no way I, as an employer, would take back someone who had done that, let alone forgive him if he'd done it to someone close to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Who was that tough rap guy that freaked out or maybe he freaked out over what Kanye did to Taylor Swift, can't remember what I'm even talking about to be honest.

I found her duet with eminem "love the way you lie" lyrics kind of creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cocokay

is it true she started to follow him on twitter again & they were seen together recently in a nightclub? if so then if rihanna is seen to have forgiven and forgotten then the public/music industry going to do the same, especially if it means making some money! people will think, why
    not have him perform, why not buy his new album, its all grand, him and
    rihanna are pals again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Below are the lyrics for love the way you lie -- great message to be sending people anyway. It gives me the chills though I do admit to liking both songs.

On the first page of our story
    The future seemed so bright
    Then this thing turned out so evil
    I don't know why I'm still surprised
    Even angels have their wicked schemes
    And you take that to new extremes
    But you'll always be my hero
    Even though you've lost your mind

Just gonna stand there and watch me burn
    But that's alright because I like the way it hurts
    Just gonna stand there and hear me cry
    But that's alright because I love the way you lie
    I love the way you lie
    Ohhh, I love the way you lie

[Rihanna's Part 2]
    Now there's gravel in our voices
    Glass is shattered from the fight
    And this tug of war, you'll always win
    Even when I'm right
    'Cause you feed me fables from your head
    With violent words and empty threats
    And it's sick that all these battles
    Are what keeps me satisfied

Just gonna stand there and watch me burn
    But that's alright because I like the way it hurts
    Just gonna stand there and hear me cry
    But that's alright because I love the way you lie
    I love the way you lie
    Ohhh, I love the way you lie

[Rihanna's Part 3]
    So maybe I'm a masochist
    I try to run but I don't wanna ever leave
    Til the walls are goin' up
    In smoke with all our memories

[Eminem's Part]
    It's morning, you wake, a sunray hits your face
    Smeared makeup as we lay in the wake of destruction
    Hush baby, speak softly, tell me you're awfully sorry
    That you pushed me into the coffee table last night
    So I can push you off me
    Try and touch me so I can scream at you not to touch me
    Run out the room and I'll follow you like a lost puppy
    Baby, without you, I'm nothing, I'm so lost, hug me
    Then tell me how ugly I am, but that you'll always love me
    Then after that, shove me, in the aftermath of the
    Destructive path that we're on, two psychopaths but we
    Know that no matter how many knives we put in each other's backs
    That we'll have each other's backs, 'cause we're that lucky
    Together, we move mountains, let's not make mountains out of molehills,
    You hit me twice, yeah, but who's countin'?
    I may have hit you three times, I'm startin' to lose count
    But together, we'll live forever, we found the youth fountain
    Our love is crazy, we're nuts, but I refused counsellin'
    This house is too huge, if you move out I'll burn all two thousand
    Square feet of it to the ground, ain't shi-t you can do about it
    With you I'm in my f-ckin' mind, without you, I'm out it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Kooli wrote: »
    holy focksocks. Never knew it was that bad in fairness. I thought it was one maybe two slaps. Dunno how he didn't get time for that. Well I do, he's famous and has money so got no time.
    Saying that though, he seems to have done all the courts told him to do so in that sense he should be allowed work on his chosen profession.

If it was my sister or anyone related to me it happened to, missing the gammys would be the least of his problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

People need to realise that it was much more that a few hits, he had her in a stranglehold which cut off her blood supply to her head and she was losing consciousness.

Maybe I wouln't mind if he genuinely showed some remorse, but he just acted like he was the victim and complained that Oprah didn't help him (lol)

People need to realise that it was much more that a few hits, he had her in a stranglehold which cut off her blood supply to her head and she was losing consciousness.

Maybe I wouln't mind if he genuinely showed some remorse, but he just acted like he was the victim and complained that Oprah didn't help him (lol)

And then he smashed a window in his dressing room after being questioned about Rihanna at his first comeback interview on Good morning America. Watch the video - the rage in his eyes is scary.

If you look at Rihanna's music and videos before and after the assault, she completely changed afterwards. Her music and videos got darker and darker, it definitely affected her badly, the poor divil!

When I heard she forgave him, and was talking to him, I was like nooooo! But I wasn't surprised.

It's so common. Imagine loving some-one and then them beating the sh*t out of you. Your brain can't process it so you blame yourself.

Everyone deserves a second chance, BUT not to the extent he has where he has been welcomed back with open arms, and the Grammy's saying that they were the victim of the situation. It is sending out a bad message to alot of impressionable young people. I'm disappointed in the Grammy's.

Chris Brown interview where he smashed a window after. She didn't even say anything that provocative to him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlCmrRdMsKk

And an interesting body language analysis of the same interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kr_x-94at8

If you look at the uploader's account he's actually very good and has analysed alot of celebrity interviews. I find his analysis really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newport2

seanybiker wrote: »
    Dunno how he didn't get time for that. Well I do, he's famous and has money so got no time.

Exactly. I remember before hearing a phrase something along the lines of "The doors of justice are open to all, like those of the Four Season's Hotel."

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

Chris Brown interview where he smashed a window after. She didn't even say anything that provocative to him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlCmrRdMsKk

And an interesting body language analysis of the same interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kr_x-94at8

If you look at the uploader's account he's actually very good and has analysed alot of celebrity interviews. I find his analysis really interesting.

Everytime she asks him something about the Rihanna incident he deflects it straight away back to his album. Obviously he doesn't want to talk about it but he must realise that it was a serious issue and people will want to talk about it. Especially because it was one of the first interviews he did after laying low.

As for the comment by Ehrlich, it's a ridiculous statement and I don't understand how he hasn't been made to apologize. Does not compute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

As for the comment by Ehrlich, it's a ridiculous statement and I don't understand how he hasn't been made to apologize. Does not compute.

I think its more than ridiculous, I think its actually a bit sinister.

He welcomes Brown to perform on stage, characterizes the event has having been victimized by Browns violent criminal behaviour, and he does this while the ACTUAL victim of this savage beating and threats on her life is sitting in the audience watching and listening.

Was it done to humiliate her? How could any adult not know the effect it would have on her?

He should be hauled over the coals over this one. Email sent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Why is he not still in jail for such a horrific assault? There's no way I, as an employer, would take back someone who had done that, let alone forgive him if he'd done it to someone close to me.

Don't think he even did any jail time... Community service, five years probation and a year long domestic abuse program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

EdenHazard banned for a week - there has been plenty warnings in this thread about what this forum is and what is appropriate to post here.

For the last time - if you have no mature and constructive addition to make to the discussion, don't post.

Please read the forum charter before posting in this forum again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Amy Winehouse beating her husband wasn't mentioned after her death; and when Rebekah Brooks was so prominent in the News International scandal her assault on her ex-husband Ross Kemp wasn't mentioned either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

goose2005 wrote: »
    Amy Winehouse beating her husband wasn't mentioned after her death; and when Rebekah Brooks was so prominent in the News International scandal her assault on her ex-husband Ross Kemp wasn't mentioned either.

Bad stories usually aren't mentioned after someone death, and I read about Rebekah a good few times, despite the power that she would still yield in the media.

By the way I don't really understand the point you are making, that stories of women beating men aren't mentioned in the media (which they are) and so we shouldn't be discussing this:confused:. Is that it?

It does get very tiring on LL talking about one issue that mentions women and almost having to put in a blanket BUT IT HAPPENS TO MEN TOO, just in case god forbid we don't refer to it in the thread.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

goose2005 wrote: »
    Do you really need another warning? I'd have thought you ought to be familiar with the ethos of TLL by now. Nobody is denying that horrible things happen to men too, however TLL was established to discuss topics from a women's perspective. Please respect that.

Maple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Tigger99 wrote: »
    I read about Rebekah a good few times, despite the power that she would still yield in the media.

By the way I don't really understand the point you are making, that stories of women beating men aren't mentioned in the media (which they are) and so we shouldn't be discussing this:confused:. Is that it?

It does get very tiring on LL talking about one issue that mentions women and almost having to put in a blanket BUT IT HAPPENS TO MEN TOO, just in case god forbid we don't refer to it in the thread.
    Yeah this thread is about Chris Brown. :confused:

I remember there being plenty of mention of that Brooks/Kemp case at the time also.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭VagnerLove

so what's the story with Rihanna on her twitter?

retweeted Chris Brown wishing her a happy birthday and posted a link to a remix they're both on.
    @chrisbrown Turn up the music remix #RihannaNavy #Teambreezy enjoy!!!

to be fair, now she's making it clear that she's moved on from what happened, it should be expected that people accept him performing at award shows :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

VagnerLove wrote: »
    so what's the story with Rihanna on her twitter?

retweeted Chris Brown wishing her a happy birthday and posted a link to a remix they're both on.

to be fair, now she's making it clear that she's moved on from what happened, it should be expected that people accept him performing at award shows :)

Why? Michael Vick is an American football player who was convicted of bankrolling an illegal dog fighting operation. Dozens of animals were injured and killed. He went to jail, and is now back in the National Football League. Because he served his time, does that mean we should all run out and buy his jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Why? Michael Vick is an American football player who was convicted of bankrolling an illegal dog fighting operation. Dozens of animals were injured and killed. He went to jail, and is now back in the National Football League. Because he served his time, does that mean we should all run out and buy his jersey?

Does it mean that no-one should support the Eagles? This point is a bit silly if you ask me. The OP is talking about Chris Brown, not Michael Vick.

Regarding my earlier post, I'd like to retract what I said about him seeming to apologise.
    Having read more, watched videos etc, it doesn't seem to me he was genuine in his apology. However, I still stand by my belief that he should be allowed to work uninterrupted. He still has complied with all court orders and continues to comply.
    The Grammy quote was way out of line and needs to be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

VagnerLove wrote: »

Loads of women continually return to violent men. It does not mean that what the men have done is acceptable/forgiveable in any way and that everyone else should just move on and deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Giselle wrote: »
    I think its more than ridiculous, I think its actually a bit sinister.

He welcomes Brown to perform on stage, characterizes the event has having been victimized by Browns violent criminal behaviour, and he does this while the ACTUAL victim of this savage beating and threats on her life is sitting in the audience watching and listening.

Was it done to humiliate her? How could any adult not know the effect it would have on her?

He should be hauled over the coals over this one. Email sent!

To be honest, I've never really gotten the impression from Rihanna that she hadn't moved on from the event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Does it mean that no-one should support the Eagles? This point is a bit silly if you ask me. The OP is talking about Chris Brown, not Michael Vick.

I think the Michael Vick issue illustrates the broader point: at what point is the public expected to 'forgive' a celebrity for their transgressions? And are there some crimes which as so awful that they shouldn't be?

Advertisement