Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bios processor temperature differ from Core Temp

• 11-05-2011 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Recently I installed a frio cpu cooler on my i5 2500k. The cpu temperatures according to the bios seem to have increased idoling at 48c, its always around that...could I have knicked the sensor? The motherboard is the p8p67 if that helps. Core temp however is showing it as idoling around 30 degrees celcius and going to mid sixties under load. It is the latest version of Core temp.

The Frio is running with only one 3 pin fan on a pwm socket. Does that make a difference? Would re-seating it help? If so, any advice on applying the thermal paste?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They're measuring two different things, The bios measures from a sensor on the board, coretemp is from a sensor on the chip itself. Disregard the bios and trust coretemp as I've seen motherboard sensors to be miles off. Idling in the 30's and maxing in the 60's is about right with an average cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

AFAIK they read form the same sensor on the CPU die.

However, the CPU is not 'idle' in the BIOS, hence the discrepancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Thanks lads. It does make sense that the bios temps are higher assuming the bios put the processor under load. Hrmmm. Gotta get that pull fan going soon then.

I got the frio because it had good reports with regards cooling...either I messed up the install or I have to get that pull fan running and a 3 pin pwm converter. (The mother board does not support processor fan voltage support)

Thanks lads. It does make sense that the bios temps are higher assuming the bios put the processor under load. Hrmmm. Gotta get that pull fan going soon then.

I got the frio because it had good reports with regards cooling...either I messed up the install or I have to get that pull fan running and a 3 pin pwm converter. (The mother board does not support processor fan voltage support)

48c is about 8-10c too hot for BIOS IMO (is it overclocked?)

Try reseating the cooler. Ensure to thoroughly clean the cooler and the heatspreader on the CPU with isopropyl alcohol if possible.

When using the thermal paste, use only a very small amount, about the size of a long grain piece of rice - NOT pea sized which is WAY too much ;)

The pressure between the heatsink and the CPU will spread it. Remember, the thermal compound is only there to fill microscopic gaps between the cooler base and the CPU heatspreader - it's not to have a film of thermal paste covering the whole thing.

I'd rather use too little than too much, as it can actually start to act as an insulator if too much is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

48c is about 8-10c too hot for BIOS IMO (is it overclocked?)

Try reseating the cooler. Ensure to thoroughly clean the cooler and the heatspreader on the CPU with isopropyl alcohol if possible.

When using the thermal paste, use only a very small amount, about the size of a long grain piece of rice - NOT pea sized which is WAY too much ;)

The pressure between the heatsink and the CPU will spread it. Remember, the thermal compound is only there to fill microscopic gaps between the cooler base and the CPU heatspreader - it's not to have a film of thermal paste covering the whole thing.

I'd rather use too little than too much, as it can actually start to act as an insulator if too much is used.

It is not overclocked at all and this temperature seems to be a pretty constant reading in the BIOs.

I will reseat the processor when I get some proper thermal compound. Any suggestions on make? So a rice grain sized amount on the middle of the processor is the correct way to apply?

Any particular cloth you would recommend for cleaning the cpu?

• Advertisement

It is not overclocked at all and this temperature seems to be a pretty constant reading in the BIOs.

I will reseat the processor when I get some proper thermal compound. Any suggestions on make? So a rice grain sized amount on the middle of the processor is the correct way to apply?

Any particular cloth you would recommend for cleaning the cpu?

Anything that's lint free. But ensure you use some isopropyl alcohol, and nothing greasy.

Advertisement