Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vote No Campaign on O'Connell Street

• 11-06-2008 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭

As i was walking through the city this afternoon i was absolutely horrified to see that the No side were camped outside the GPO, with a massive(and loud) tv screen depicting their lies and proaganda. Believe me when i say that you could not walk down the street without noticing it.
    Myself and another young woman approached the people responsible to express our discontentment at their lies and twisting of facts-they were saying that Ireland is the only country that referemdum because other countries would reject the treaty- i set them straight by telling them it was because ours is the only constituation that would be altered, and therefore we need a referendum.

Now, i know every side has the right to a fair shout-i weighed up my own beliefs with each side before making my decision on how to vote. But this ramming of ideas down people's throats really got to me-they were lying to people outright. How did they get funding for this atrocity in the middle of our beautiful capital city??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

beautiful capital city

eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i mean the noise was so loud and the campaigners so disruptive, you literally couldn't walk down the street!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

eh?

Well it is looking better these days. The more I travel, the more I appreciate the big smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Spreading mistruths during referendum campaigns should be made illegal imo.

ah i quite like Dublin city!and even if it was a manky city i'd still be pissed off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

The same questions can be asked of the yes campaigners surely?

I for one am fed up with this now tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Stark wrote: »
    Spreading mistruths during referendum campaigns should be made illegal imo.
    Listening to referendum campaigns during referenda ought to be made illegal imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

i mean the noise was so loud and the campaigners so disruptive, you literally couldn't walk down the street!!

No Worse than the scangers hanging around the luas stop or the scummers walking around in celtic jerseys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

The Yes campaigners were out in force on Grafton street earlier. They seem to be taking on the same tactics as "chuggers". Honestly I felt like punching a few of them. :eek:

Listening to referendum campaigns during referenda ought to be made illegal imo.

Referenda on complex international treaties should be made illegal imo.

• Advertisement

The yes campaigners were handing out leaflets on Henry St, they weren't bugging anyone, just giving them to those who want them!

craichoe wrote: »
    No Worse than the scangers hanging around the luas stop or the scummers walking around in celtic jerseys

They don't have a giant skanger TV outside the GPO. Or megaphones.

craichoe wrote: »

Haha, one of the No crowd was actually wearing a Celtic Jersey!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

wtf is a skanger tv? Does every sound that comes out of it have a specific type of accent or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

See look at the positives :D if they weren't there scangers might have set up a screen with scanger tv on it and scanger accents ripping through mega phones! Anyway it's nothing people haven't heard , read, or can ignore if they choose already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Joe Robot wrote: »
    The Yes campaigners were out in force on Grafton street earlier. They seem to be taking on the same tactics as "chuggers". Honestly I felt like punching a few of them. :eek:
    Indeed, they littered themselves through Dundrum Town Centre not so long ago too certainly adapting chugger tactics i.e standing at the main entrances and exits handing out their leaflets, even at the part of the escalators you get on and off! They were also giving "Vote Yes" balloons to children and a group of smarmy looking bastards in suits were standing around the food court shaking hands with eachother, whilst they had the Gardaí protecting them (lol). I wouldn't use their leaflets as toilet paper, let alone something to base my decision on, so despite their unbelievable presence in the centre I managed to not engage a single one of them.

The yes campaigners were handing out leaflets on Henry St, they weren't bugging anyone, just giving them to those who want them!

...and misinformation is acceptable provided it is received in a silent and/or voluntary basis?

Don't make me laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

No, but a megafone or Giant TV, won't smash up o'connell street and fire bricks at the gardai.

Anyways, its the City center, do you expect it to be peace and quiet ?

Likewise, am looking forward to getting this over with. It's getting very tiresome at this stage (as is the attitude of certain members of the Yes side on Boards) and hopefully we can put this to bed soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

To be honest I am dismayed that people are basing there votes on what a few campaigners do/don't do. Just because people are being obtrusive does not mean they have no argument to make. You should base your decisions on the facts not bull**** surrounding the facts.

• Advertisement

it's a fact that the Yes campaign has had less(but not no) misleading info than the No-ers.

But yeah, i much prefer their tactics to then No-ers!when i was telling one of them how wrong it all was she merey stood there shrugging. she didn't even have the decency to fight her case!

sink wrote: »
    To be honest I am dismayed that people are basing there votes on what a few campaigners do/don't do. Just because people are being obtrusive does not mean they have no argument to make. You should base your decisions on the facts not bull**** surrounding the facts.

Like i said, i have longsince made my decision to vote yes. the No-ers are just pissing me off now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

As i was walking through the city this afternoon i was absolutely horrified to see that the No side were camped outside the GPO, with a massive(and loud) tv screen depicting their lies and proaganda. Believe me when i say that you could not walk down the street without noticing it.
    Myself and another young woman approached the people responsible to express our discontentment at their lies and twisting of facts-they were saying that Ireland is the only country that referemdum because other countries would reject the treaty- i set them straight by telling them it was because ours is the only constituation that would be altered, and therefore we need a referendum.

Now, i know every side has the right to a fair shout-i weighed up my own beliefs with each side before making my decision on how to vote. But this ramming of ideas down people's throats really got to me-they were lying to people outright. How did they get funding for this atrocity in the middle of our beautiful capital city??

Britain didn't need to hold a referendum, but Tony Blair did promise before the last British general election that if Labour were re-elected, that they would hold a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty, but after their re-election and prior to his stepping down, the Labour government had decided to renege on this election promise. Why do you think they did this then ? Nobody knows how people in the other EU states would vote if they had the chance, so the No campaigners could be right or wrong.

As for the NO campaign being noisy or vociferous in seeking to present their arguments, they could claim that they need to act this way as much of the media, especially RTE have been very pro-Lisbon and therefore the YES campaign have had a disproportionate share of media time to present their case. If you aren't given an equal opportunity to present your case on the public airwaves, then you have to take your case to the streets in a very spirited way instead.

Like i said, i have longsince made my decision to vote yes. the No-ers are just pissing me off now!

Same in reverse here

heyjude wrote: »
    Same in reverse here

ditto. Hey, at least we have the option (albeit for possibly the last time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

As for the NO campaign being noisy or vociferous in seeking to present their arguments, they could claim that they need to act this way as much of the media, especially RTE have been very pro-Lisbon and therefore the YES campaign have had a disproportionate share of media time to present their case. If you aren't given an equal opportunity to present your case on the public airwaves, then you have to take your case to the streets in a very spirited way instead.

I'd say that on balance it's about even in media-time granted to the camps. In fact, if anything, it's probable that the No camp has had more media-time than the Yes side, as they were campaigning about a month before the Yes side bothered to get off their collective a**es. If they had both started campaigning at the same time, then it's probable the Yes camp would have gotten more media time, but that's the advantage of power, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

RTE have been very pro-Lisbon and therefore the YES campaign have had a disproportionate share of media time to present their case.

I think what some no campaigner perceive as RTE showing bias, is actually RTE telling the straight factual truths about the treaty. Because the facts actually favour a yes vote, does not mean RTE is being biased when reporting them. If RTE stated Lisbon is good for Europe or Ireland, that would be clear bias, but so far they haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'd say that on balance it's about even in media-time granted to the camps. In fact, if anything, it's probable that the No camp has had more media-time than the Yes side, as they were campaigning about a month before the Yes side bothered to get off their collective a**es. If they had both started campaigning at the same time, then it's probable the Yes camp would have gotten more media time, but that's the advantage of power, I guess.

And would you say adds informing us on tv that were seemingly impartial but werent (As I've mentioned too many times now, stating "We keep some of our vetos" and leaving out the logical impartial statement "and loose others") didn't tip it towards the yes side?

Actually it doesn't matter, both sides are just as guilty of it. It just seems only one side's scare tactics get attacked here though because the other's are somehow "for the greater good".

So an RTE discussion on the Lisbon Treaty that has a FF representative, a FG representative, a Labour representative and another guest who is undecided, is about even in terms of balance ???? Interesting, so 3 members of the YES campaign and one undecided is balanced!!!

Can you recall during the campaign, a single instance in which RTE held a televised discussion on the Treaty in which there wasn't a single guest/speaker who wanted a YES vote ? A balanced debate would have featured an equal number from each side. Even RTE would struggle to say their coverage was balanced, the best they could do is to claim that it was representative of political opinion within the main political parties, but how representative their opinions are of true public opinion will be seen tomorrow.

If our public representatives truly represent their public then logic suggests that with 160TDs supporting the Treaty and just 6 TDs against(according to newspaper reports), the YES vote should enjoy an overwhelming victory.

• Advertisement

So an RTE discussion on the Lisbon Treaty that has a FF representative, a FG representative, a Labour representative and another guest who is undecided, is about even in terms of balance ???? Interesting, so 3 members of the YES campaign and one undecided is balanced!!!

Can you recall during the campaign, a single instance in which RTE held a televised discussion on the Treaty in which there wasn't a single guest/speaker who wanted a YES vote ? A balanced debate would have featured an equal number from each side. Even RTE would struggle to say their coverage was balanced, the best they could do is to claim that it was representative of political opinion within the main political parties, but how representative their opinions are of true public opinion will be seen tomorrow.

If our public representatives truly represent their public then logic suggests that with 160TDs supporting the Treaty and just 6 TDs against(according to newspaper reports), the YES vote should enjoy an overwhelming victory.
    Indeed. It's pretty sickening that the Yes side have such control of the mass media, particularly considering that the Irish citizens are the ones paying for it.

The ability to have Yes campaigners turn up on some of the most viewed programmes of the week is admittedly a great tactic. But hey, just another reason to vote No for me :)

Advertisement