Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EcoBase Shed Base Foundation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cudsy1

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

There a place called geocoastal.ie they are Dublin based. Might do a half pallet. I have saw someone selling on adverts. If there is nobody driving on them or no real heavy weight the grass ones will do. The robust ones are made out of HDPE or LDPE and black or green The lighter ones are made from polypropylene are generally white

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

I got something similar (that needs gravel) in Goodwins.

Search for gravel mat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Why not driving on them? I see the ones @Bold Abdu reference in Goodwins specifically says can be used for driveways, though I suppose the OP's ones don't mention needing to be filled. Quite interested in this myself as I need to replace my garden shed which is on blocks and has many times been a home to mice underneath over the years and I reckon this would be just the job to prevent that.

Anyone used these gravel mats for sheds before, any considerations?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Those gravel mats are not a panacea. They need to be placed on a level base or else they won't sit right, and that requires much more effort then the good old fashioned approach of putting a shed on concrete blocks placed directly on the ground. Also, you need to think about edge restraint unless you're going to sink them level with the soil.

The advantage is that you won't have a void underneath which can attract nesting vermin, but OTOH I never had an issue with the void under my old shed on blocks because the cat would keep it clear of critters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

I am no expert on plastics but I think sunlight causes the plastics to degrade. Some have a UV stabiliser added. Some ( white ones ) require to be filled with gravel before driving on them that’s what gives them strength. The black ones I tested with a 10 tonne lorry and drove over them with out gravel and not one broke. I read some issues with the white ones with the plastic breaking. The ones I have made from LDPE. I have them in two area drive way with 6 mm gravel and matts placed on compacted hardcore and retained on the sides and a kids play area where I used 6x 2 as retainers and just scraped off the sod and levelled the area roughly with a spade and put down a weed barrier. The area with traffic needs hardcore base. I say be good job for a shed if you wanted to avoid putting down a slab of concrete

Advertisement