Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

replacement barrel lock for upvc door

• 27-08-2015 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi folks
    I'm not too hot on the diy but was told it's easy to replace lock on front door so i'll give it a go. What is best lock to replace barrel with? One with key for both sides or one with catch/knob yoke on the inside? I looked up you tube to see how to replace and came across lock snapping which is worrying - what is best way to combat this? Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Anti bump/snap lock will cost you about 40 euro.takes about 1 minute to remove old barrell lock and fit new one.Flathead screwdriver is all thats needed.Make sure insurance company will cover you with the thumb lock versions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭dodzy

Anti bump/snap lock will cost you about 40 euro.takes about 1 minute to remove old barrell lock and fit new one.Flathead screwdriver is all thats needed.Make sure insurance company will cover you with the thumb lock versions though.

Philips / slot-head. Not flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

dodzy wrote: »
    Philips / slot-head. Not flat.

You are right sir.philips screwdriver it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 teamcyclist

thanks lads for help
    is it possible insurance company may not be happy with thumb lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

thanks lads for help
    is it possible insurance company may not be happy with thumb lock?
    Is there glass in the door you are fitting the lock to??. I was on a job fitting a new anti-snap barrel and the customer was telling me they broke his glass and reached in and turned the tumblock. 2k worth of stuff robbed. And insurance would not cover because of the tumb lock

• Advertisement

Good point - there is glass yes. I just like those thumb locks instead of having to use a key to double lock - tis getting out in an emergency I'd be thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Good point - there is glass yes. I just like those thumb locks instead of having to use a key to double lock - tis getting out in an emergency I'd be thinking of.
    Ye i know your point I have them in my own front door. But I fitted laminated glass to it so it can't be broken from outside

In the long term that's what I should do I guess but for now I better stick with the key on both sides. thanks though

Advertisement