Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Basic smartphone for <€100

• 09-10-2013 6:36pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking to get my 11 year old son a phone, mainly to keep in contact with us.
    He loves android so id say he will put some tunes on it,and a few apps he uses on the nexus 7.
    Hes buying it himself so is thinking of max of €100 on pay as you go.
    Looking on vodafone and o2 he has choice of the vodafone smart range and the likes of samsung galaxy young,sont experia E,samsung galaxy ace.
    Suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

If you can spring for €105 you can get the Huawei y300 from Meteor and get it unlocked via paypal online. It's got better specs than most other phones around the same price mark: I've been raving about it since I got it to replace my Xperia p. There's nothing stopping him moving his number over to meteor for €20 off the price of it (they've an offer on it at the moment) and then swapping back straight away. :)

I can bore you with technicals if you want, but my brother has just got one to replace his S2 (his motherboard was fried) and is happy out with it too, for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

If it has to be under €100.....the Samsung Galaxy Mini? Should be around €60 by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

the Samsung Galaxy Mini?
    Ugh: it's a phone with 2 year old specs. The only thing it will do for the user is make him hate Android phones. It is about the only thing most cheap Droids do consistently, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DUB77

Hi there,

I need to get a new phone. My Nokia phone is falling apart on me now. Do you think its worth getting a smart phone if you're like me "only use the phone to do the basics i.e. calls, texts". The Mrs. had one a few years back and always seemed to be re-charging the bloody thing.:(

I assume if I get a smart phone, it would be hard to revert back to an older style phone

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

If OP has no issue with buying from China check out MeriMobiles :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

I think the vodafone smart mini is decent, its 60 euro off the bat but if you fiddle with it (port over number,use fatcheese, there is a thread on bargain alerts) you can bring the cost down to 25 euro. I got one for the gf and it's a solid piece of kit for the price, i'll be picking myself up one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Huawei y300 for €100 from meteor and you can get it unlock from Huawei themselves for free. My sister has it and its some phone for €100

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

the Huawei y300 is your best bet. For the money you wont get better. I think its €79 on Meteor now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks guys, he was thinking of a well known brand but he can clearly see himself the Huawei y300 is too good an offer to resist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I bought my gf her vodafone smart mini.

Pared back (android 2.2, few generations old).

Great intro to smart phones. And costs €40ish which helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

+1 for the VF Smart Mini, great phone for the price

Alternatively the Smart 3 is also a decent phone and within your budget. That said I was looking at Huawei phones myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DUB77

This post has been deleted.

thanks, I might venture into the 21st century and get a smart phone (if I can get one for a decent price). I'm sure I will get use to re-charging bit after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Bought the Huawei Y300 for my sister yesterday - set it up and it seems like a great phone for the price. I'm a Nexus4 user but this is not a bad phone for the price. Hope that it continues to work well for her though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Greyhamster

Smart phones under 300 are not that smart actually.

Advertisement