Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCI option

• 06-09-2014 8:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Any past/present nci student who can help a confused sixth year by answering questions down below please...
    1.Is the university well recognised abroad/in ireland?
    2.what is the atmosphere like?
    3.does the course nc020 (marketing practice) have alot of maths/accounting/tax in it...is it basic or hard?
    4.what is the timetable for the course nc020?
    5.does nc020 have more assigments and less end of semseter exams or is it the opposite?
    6.any other facts/information about nci?

im sorry if these are loads of questions but i am very confused and need just extra details about the university and course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I can only answer about the computing course but I can answer the other questions.
    It is well recognised in Ireland for its level 8 courses and level 6 as well. They are right in the heart of the IFSC so they have plenty of good contacts in the industry hence it's high employment rate. I'm not sure about its international recognition but they do have contacts with multinationals in Ireland like Microsoft, HP, Apple, Google to name just a few.

For it's college size it has a very good atmosphere and is very easy to make new friends. The Student Union work hard to provide a good social life to its students and I would recommend any night outs.

http://www.ncirl.ie/News-Events/Blog/ArtMID/750/ArticleID/134/How-Many-Of-These-Facts-Did-You-Already-Know-

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jd1594

hafsa_28 wrote: »
    Any past/present nci student who can help a confused sixth year by answering questions down below please...
    3.does the course nc020 (marketing practice) have alot of maths/accounting/tax in it...is it basic or hard?
    4.what is the timetable for the course nc020?
    5.does nc020 have more assigments and less end of semseter exams or is it the opposite?

im sorry if these are loads of questions but i am very confused and need just extra details about the university and course.

1. It's seemingly well recognized with Irish multi-national companies but internationally you'd struggle for recognition when coming from any IT really, even some universities struggle for this. My housemate's boyfriend last year was a recent graduate from the Accounting course in NCI and said that in that particular industry, recruiters usually throw any CV with NCI (plus no related experience/masters) on it in the bin. Not sure why, but he was doing work experience whilst completing a masters at DCU for this reason. The Computing side of things in the college seems to be a lot more reputable with employers however, with employment levels well above 80%, so really it depends on the industry you're going in to. Do some research.

2. It's what you make of it really. I hear a very mixed bag of people acclaiming and complaining about the atmosphere of NCI. There's a SU night out every month or so where you can make friends and good times. I know my housemate stopped going to SU nights out as she had some unpleasant experiences with some people there and generally didn't like the atmosphere. On the the other hand some other friends of mine never run out of good things to say about the events such as the mystery tour. I enjoy the majority of events and find them pretty well organised, but really the city is your campus.

6. I don't know if anyone else feels this way. But personally I've had some bad experiences dealing with the SU on a number of things. I was at an event towards the end of last year where a particular high ranking SU member quite literally stood and watched as some rather unpleasant people (I assume his mates) picked on some Brazilian students whom I later found were actually pretty cool people. I was involved in a society last year where we struggled in part because of the SU being difficult to deal with in terms of supporting us with funding and promotion, yet I heard of an upcoming society being promised an obscene amount of money (well into the four figures).

That said, I was impressed with how they dealt with the SV Fitness issue last year, so it's not all bad. Third Level SUs are really popularity contests with personal agendas, so really it's a nationwide problem rather than just solely NCI. I know I sound very negative, but I don't want people to bury their heads in the sand and avoid the issues that NCI has, apart from that I really really like NCI. The general day to day atmosphere is very good and I've made a lot of friends with really good people. The teaching quality is very good in my course and from an education viewpoint it's almost flawless. They'll go out of their way to help you if you're struggling. I don't regret going to NCI at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

jd1594 wrote: »

6. I don't know if anyone else feels this way. But personally I've had some bad experiences dealing with the SU on a number of things. I was at an event towards the end of last year where a particular high ranking SU member quite literally stood and watched as some rather unpleasant people (I assume his mates) picked on some Brazilian students whom I later found were actually pretty cool people. I was involved in a society last year where we struggled in part because of the SU being difficult to deal with in terms of supporting us with funding and promotion, yet I heard of an upcoming society being promised an obscene amount of money (well into the four figures).

I agree that the SU is a popularity contest and the budget for the clubs & societys is unbalanced and for a small college they should do better than that. They pour money into a society who down the line throughout the semester go inactive and this means money wasted on other opportunities. If the college has reduced the budget for clubs and socs this year I wouldn't be surprised as this prevents some socs receiving ridiculous amounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 cookiecutter99

jd1594 wrote: »
    1. It's seemingly well recognized with Irish multi-national companies but internationally you'd struggle for recognition when coming from any IT really, even some universities struggle for this. My housemate's boyfriend last year was a recent graduate from the Accounting course in NCI and said that in that particular industry, recruiters usually throw any CV with NCI (plus no related experience/masters) on it in the bin. Not sure why, but he was doing work experience whilst completing a masters at DCU for this reason. The Computing side of things in the college seems to be a lot more reputable with employers however, with employment levels well above 80%, so really it depends on the industry you're going in to. Do some research.

2. It's what you make of it really. I hear a very mixed bag of people acclaiming and complaining about the atmosphere of NCI. There's a SU night out every month or so where you can make friends and good times. I know my housemate stopped going to SU nights out as she had some unpleasant experiences with some people there and generally didn't like the atmosphere. On the the other hand some other friends of mine never run out of good things to say about the events such as the mystery tour. I enjoy the majority of events and find them pretty well organised, but really the city is your campus.

That said, I was impressed with how they dealt with the SV Fitness issue last year, so it's not all bad. Third Level SUs are really popularity contests with personal agendas, so really it's a nationwide problem rather than just solely NCI. I know I sound very negative, but I don't want people to bury their heads in the sand and avoid the issues that NCI has, apart from that I really really like NCI. The general day to day atmosphere is very good and I've made a lot of friends with really good people. The teaching quality is very good in my course and from an education viewpoint it's almost flawless. They'll go out of their way to help you if you're struggling. I don't regret going to NCI at all.

What course are you doing...any of the business courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I did the BAHBMD (Business Management) course and we had a good bit of Accounting and some Maths related modules. I am absolutely CRAP at Maths but I still managed to get a first in my degree. The BA Marketing Practice is probably even less maths focused because it's more specific to Marketing; whereas Business Management is broader.

To be honest, the best person to talk to is Michael Bane, he's the programme director for the BA in Marketing Practice and is pretty much the soundest person on the planet. He'd definitely answer any questions you have if you just bang off an email to him at michael.bane@ncirl.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement