Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Detroit, Bankrupt. Any sympathy ?

Options
  • 19-07-2013 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Detroit has declared itself bankrupt.

I have a great deal of sympathy for the citizens and the American people, but not a lot for the Country itself as they had a huge part in starting the global recession in the first place.

What do you think ? Will you shed a tear for the mighty and powerful warmongering Nation ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

It's one city in a vast nation. Are you from Detroit or have relatives that live there? Will it impact you as an individual?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Tigers are doing well so not all bad in Detroit.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

I thought Detroit was a city, not a nation. And I wasn't aware Detroit was doing any warmongering. :-)

I wouldn't be shedding a tear for the city fathers though - decades of poor decisions have brought them to where they are.

C635

I look forward to New Detroit patrolled by ED109.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I have a great deal of sympathy for the citizens and the American people, but not a lot for the Country itself as they had a huge part in starting the global recession in the first place.

What do you think ? Will you shed a tear for the mighty and powerful warmongering Nation ?

Trying to figure how you seperate the people from the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Obama so proudly refused to let Detroit go bankrupt in 2012 and 89 billion was spent saving it. The knock on effect of Detroit not able to pay its 15 billion in debt will hurt.

Republicans are going to have a field day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

kneemos wrote: »
    Trying to figure how you seperate the people from the country.

Trying to figure how you don't..?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Detroit has my sympathy indeed. It's slow death is a symptom if western industrial decline.

It was a dumb idea to make China the worlds manufacturer, besides the fact that it gives a rather unplesant nation huge power (when was the last time anybody heard about the once popular cause of Tibet?), it's a fallacy to imagine that everybody can work in the ICT sector and those that don't can make money selling capuchino's to those that do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Henry Ford would be travelling around a prodiction line in his grave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

What will that actually mean for the people living there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

People should simply move to outside the city limits. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

realies wrote: »
    What will that actually mean for the people living there ?
    Massive cutbacks as the city restructures its costs and debts to something more sustainable.

It's an irreversible spiral for Detroit I feel. The city was so heavily dependent on one single industry, that once that industry pulled out, there was little incentive for other industries to come in because Detroit doesn't have the skills available. As unemployment gets worse, crime increases and government keeps cutting back, those who have any money and relevant skills are quickly leaving for better places, compounding the problem.

Unemployment is high, which means social assistance is high and tax take is low. Unless they can find a way to reverse the trend, it won't be long before detroit is a mostly unemployed ghetto, relying on federal funding to keep going and requiring military and state trooper assistance to police itself.

That said, the days of heavy manufacturing being a country's bread-and-butter, and a person being confined to one industry are long gone. With the right incentives and federal assistance, they should be able to convince low-skill clean industry jobs like call centres to locate themselves in Detroit and provide employment to the existing population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Les Gold is gonna make a fortune now.

This show is much better than pawn stars!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

conorhal wrote: »
    Detroit has my sympathy indeed. It's slow death is a symptom if western industrial decline.

It was a dumb idea to make China the worlds manufacturer, besides the fact that it gives a rather unplesant nation huge power (when was the last time anybody heard about the once popular cause of Tibet?), it's a fallacy to imagine that everybody can work in the ICT sector and those that don't can make money selling capuchino's to those that do.

Western production has actually been increasing steadily for years. It just hires less people and doesn't tend to deal in consumer goods that general public notice.

It wasn't an idea to move productions it was simple competition. Detroit car manufacturers were terrible and brought about their own fall. Cars they produced were.

Cities do fail and Detroit has been dying for a long time. It suffers from the doughnut effect. The centre has effectively been evacuated as people moved to the suburbs. The same thing happened in Dublin when the wealth moved to Southside suburbs to avoid rates.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I was reading about their private security business now, and private bus services and the efforts people were making to take over these things to run life as normal, it was very much a case of "good for them". Especially since they could still stop charging people who were really badly off
    Hope they all get by though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

conorhal wrote: »
    It was a dumb idea to make China the worlds manufacturer,

China with a population of 1.3 billion and cheap labour made itself a huge exporter and manufacturer. No one sat in a room and decided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Man, hang out on some German msg boards they probably have the same views on us as the op does on Americans/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Eminem to buy 8 mile and turn it into slim shady land.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Obama so proudly refused to let Detroit go bankrupt in 2012 and 89 billion was spent saving it. The knock on effect of Detroit not able to pay its 15 billion in debt will hurt.

Republicans are going to have a field day.

Nooooo. Obama refused to let GM and Ford and the like go bankrupt. Bit of a difference I would have thought.

And considering the tens of thousands of jobs saved, and the fact that the bailout has been repaid in full with interest, I can't see how Obama could be criticsed for it. Companies profitable again, jobs saved, profit made by federal government- only a very peculiar individual could possibly construe this as a failure. But the the GOP is full of peculiar individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Not the first time a US city faces bankruptcy. New York was on the brink in 1975, even to the extent that city lawyers served bankruptcy papers to the courts, and it recovered stronger and better.
    Who knows - it might be the kick in the arse that the city needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

CJC999 wrote: »
    People should simply move to outside the city limits. Problem solved.

Yes, because life is that easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Like Ireland can smugly pontificate about finaNcial basket case nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Who is John Galt?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Chucken wrote: »
    Yes, because life is that easy.

A lot easier to do it in the US because they have strategic foreclosure. There's not much keeping people from leaving Detroit to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement