Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

32 counties in 32 days...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

I didn't think he was offering to film the whole thing, was he?

edit: I just re-read the comment...he literally said he'd film the whole thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Do it!
    Epid road trip and get some old man stories in the pubs. It could be great.

Keep us posted on what pubs you go to OP. I'd go to a pub in Donegal, Leitrim or Sligo to support ya. I may make you a sammich or three for your travels too :)

Keep us posted on what pubs you go to OP. I'd go to a pub in Donegal, Leitrim or Sligo to support ya. I may make you a sammich or three for your travels too :)

I will hold you to that! I'll pm you when I have things buttoned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

I'll go see you if you end up coming to Bray :D

• Advertisement

I set up a website for the project if anybody is interested! www.32counties.in

UPDATE:
    I've got a lot of feedback all over the place, set up a website and put up more details there. (link above)

I'm considering a kickstarter to sort out petrol costs and then possibly to produce a calendar, printed cds of my EP, or something else (suggestions?) to give to backers. Does it sound like it could work?

I'm still looking for people in plenty of places, and especially gigs...so let me know if you know someone, or a good venue!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Did two guys try and do all 32 country in one day a couple of years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭overshoot

K-9 wrote: »
    Donegal Town is just a wannabee Westport, LK is fine.

Derry City would be unmissable given the city of culture thing.
    ah now... donegal town as a wannabee anything is progress!

overshoot wrote: »
    ah now... donegal town as a wannabee anything is progress!
    I might even try bundoran. It'd save me on the petrol and I can go surfing before the gig!
    Jester252 wrote: »
    I've heard of a lot of people doing it, You can technically say youve been to each county, but you really see none of them except roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

There's a map of a 32 county drive here.... http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm86/eamonnk/ireland.gif

It could be done even quicker than that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Kirby92

Jester252 wrote: »

That was Andrew Stanley and Damien Clark from the RTÉ show 'I Dare Ya'. I think they only managed 31 counties cause they stopped somewhere to get a bag of chips and to rent Die Hard 3 from Xtravision so they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DrArse

32 counties 1 cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Any reason you picked Adare and not the city itself ?

Could have been a Boards Beers night, or an excuse for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Quazzie wrote: »
    Keep this thread updated and you might get more offers of beds.

oo-er missus.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Any reason you picked Adare and not the city itself ?

Could have been a Boards Beers night, or an excuse for one.

Nope, just had a notion. BUT...That is a wonderful idea. Would you be interested in organising it? I could do my gig there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

For Wexford The Sky & The Ground is the best place tuesday to thursday theskyandtheground gmail com or thursday The Red Chair https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Red-Chair/293341294266

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

How are you getting around, OP? Car, Motorbike, etc?
    Also, please write up a report in the travel review forum! Like this Japan one with day to day photos and stuff http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056696321

McLoughlin wrote: »
    For Wexford The Sky & The Ground is the best place tuesday to thursday theskyandtheground gmail com or thursday The Red Chair https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Red-Chair/293341294266
    That's great! Thanks, I've sent an email.
    How are you getting around, OP? Car, Motorbike, etc?
    Also, please write up a report in the travel review forum! Like this Japan one with day to day photos and stuff http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056696321

I'll most likely be driving my car, although I'm working hard to make sure I'll have enough cash for petrol. I'm hoping to maybe get a few paid gigs along the way to help on that one. My main focus besides surviving the trip and playing all the gigs is to document it through video and photos and post on the site I've set up. I'll be sure to put a thread there too!
    I've also thought about setting up a kickstarter but I'm not sure what I could offer backers. Would you be interested in supporting something like this? and what would you expect in return?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

aido179 wrote: »

I'll most likely be driving my car, although I'm working hard to make sure I'll have enough cash for petrol. I'm hoping to maybe get a few paid gigs along the way to help on that one. My main focus besides surviving the trip and playing all the gigs is to document it through video and photos and post on the site I've set up. I'll be sure to put a thread there too!
    I've also thought about setting up a kickstarter but I'm not sure what I could offer backers. Would you be interested in supporting something like this? and what would you expect in return?

Thats no prob, it was just a suggestion with the report thing. To be honest I probably wouldn't support a kickstarter, mainly because I just don't support anything on kickstarter ever :pac:

I'm not sure what your main intention of this trip is, but if you want some interesting things to see in the south east while driving, I suggest heading from Wexford to Hook Head lighthouse, its a lovely little lighthouse and probably a fairly big tourist attraction, then head to Duncannon where you can take the car ferry across the river suir (for 8 euro or something), Up on into Waterford City.
    Then down along the south Waterford coast from tramore, nice cliffs and scenery, some nice beaches too.

Crappy route map outlining the above: http://i.imgur.com/eGILpuu.png

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_WGh0AinOOY4/TDOnbquhz2I/AAAAAAAAAIM/gCH1QICizk4/s1600/Tom+Tracey+CCC.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/2810gricer/photos/Day%20Trip%20To%20Waterford/422.JPG

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Copper_Coast_Geopark.JPG

Just a small suggestion, you don't have to change all your plans because it may throw everything out of the loop and add time to your trip but I just think its some nice stuff in that area. I'm sure you know, but if you're looking for stuff to see/do make threads in each of the county/city forums

• Advertisement

Just a small suggestion, you don't have to change all your plans because it may throw everything out of the loop and add time to your trip but I just think its some nice stuff in that area. I'm sure you know, but if you're looking for stuff to see/do make threads in each of the county/city forums
    That's amazing. I could definitely juggle a few of those dates around. Sounds like a great idea.

So the site I put up is working nicely, except for a bit of spam, I'll add a captcha soon...

I made a post recently on the site about some of the counties I have nothing set up in. Ideally, a gig in each county would be ideal and save me standing in the rain busking, so if anybody can help on that front, please let me know, either here or on the site.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I remember David O'Doherty the comedian tried to set foot in all 32 within a 24 hour period using his mum's Fiat Punto for transport. :pac:

It was filmed for some tv show, I don't think he managed to do it.

EDIT: Actually I don't think it was O'Doherty, it was some other two bit Irish comedian who I can't recall, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

I second the Sky and the Ground suggestion for Wexford. There's a lot of good pubs in Wexford for gigs. Definitely dont go to New Ross!

Hey! I'm setting off in a few hours to Westport. Did Galway last night. Slept on a couch and all! Blog updated and all that.

Been a long road! But I'm past the halfway mark now! I got a slot in the Irish Times The Ticket this morning: http://32counties.in/32days/?p=211

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Yeah I had heard of people doing it before. It's not about being original, it's just about doing it, enjoying it, getting my name out there. Thanks for the link though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

aido179 wrote: »
    Yeah I had heard of people doing it before. It's not about being original, it's just about doing it, enjoying it, getting my name out there. Thanks for the link though!

Good stuff. I would say I'll see you in Portlaoise tomorrow but Im gigging myself. Enjoy though and watch out for the scummers.

• Advertisement

**Vai** wrote: »
    Good stuff. I would say I'll see you in Portlaoise tomorrow but Im gigging myself. Enjoy though and watch out for the scummers.
    Ah cool, enjoy yours. Where's it on?

Advertisement