Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Annoying traits of radio presenters.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He's pretty terrible isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Ian Dempsey constantly feeling the need to sing along to, or add his own sound effects to every fcuking song!! Christ man, give it a rest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

mike65 wrote: »
    He's pretty terrible isn't he?

No, absolutely terrible.

That focking drawling Doob accent busts my buns big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stop Lad!

Ann Doyle, not sure if she's on the radio anymore though.....

'sexseual intercourse', 'sexseual relations' etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Kdylass

Ian Dempsey's rrrrrrrolling rrrrrrrrrrr's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shotfan

I'm sorry, I don't know her name, but a weather forecaster on Newstalk in the afternoons who insists on saying there'll be showers on "westren, northren and eastren coasts" - dunno why, but it always grates on me like nails on a blackboard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

The compulsion most current affair show presenters (O'Rourke, Cooper, Wilson et al) feel to include a completely unnecessary adjective.
    "I mean, this is a DAMNING indictment isn't it?"
    "No Seán, it's the best indictment we've ever had."

"This was a VICIOUS assault wasn't it?"
    "No Matt, it was carried out with love and tenderness."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Gerry Ryan chewing on a muffin, rice crispy cake, apple tart or slurping on tae/coffee while reading the newspaper headlines. Sounds like he has the munchies or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Daidy2011

How come presenters (and not just on the radio) cannot pronounce words starting with the letters "th" properly? This has been a constant bugbear of mine.

Three pronounced "tree"
    Thousand pronounced "tousand"

etc............

Obviously elecution is not on curriculum for a journalistic degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Michael McMullan starting every single sports bulletin off with something about an English Premier League team, usually Manchester United.

Sometimes I think if the EPL didn't exist, he would not have a reason to continue living.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I´ve been listening to some of the Moncrieff podcasts, and his umming and awwing is beginning to grate slightly. Still one of the most erudite and interesting hosts on Irish radio, so I tend not to get my piss heated up about it. Same with the lovely Aine Lawlor and she getting the time wrong on Morning Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

NIMAN wrote: »
    Michael McMullan starting every single sports bulletin off with something about an English Premier League team, usually Manchester United.

Sometimes I think if the EPL didn't exist, he would not have a reason to continue living.

RTE sport start all stories off with either GAA or Horse Racing....always!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

I always switch him off - he keeps interrupting whoever is speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Newsreaders trying their best french accent when they say the french presidents name. you never hear them putting on German accents when they say merkel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Any attempt of banter from Yates and the awful Donoghue is so fake it's hilarious. Partridge-esque.

Couldn't agree more. It's painful waiting for that fake banter to end. Not one bit funny.

Ray Darcy saying waaaheeeeeeeeey every 20 minutes.

Ray Darcy exhaling in a moaning manner every 10 minutes.

Ray Darcy being obsessed with Irishness and thinking everything is a special Irish quirke when it's the same all over the world. What a sap.

Ray Darcy being against gambling because he heard a few sob stories. It's the responsiblity of an adult to look after themselves. A lot of people enjoy gambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

DuckStab wrote: »
    The compulsion most current affair show presenters (O'Rourke, Cooper, Wilson et al) feel to include a completely unnecessary adjective.
    "I mean, this is a DAMNING indictment isn't it?"
    "No Seán, it's the best indictment we've ever had."

"This was a VICIOUS assault wasn't it?"
    "No Matt, it was carried out with love and tenderness."

On a slightly similar note, I hate the following (when I hear it on the news):

" And the State Pathologist is going to carry out an autopsy ON THE BODY of the victim ....". Like, where else were they thinking of doing it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

youtheman wrote: »
    On a slightly similar note, I hate the following (when I hear it on the news):

" And the State Pathologist is going to carry out an autopsy ON THE BODY of the victim ....". Like, where else were they thinking of doing it !!!

I posted before about a news report saying "the State Pathologist has been informed".

Well thats nice to hear, I would hate it if she only found out about the latest murder via the Today FM news report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Couldn't agree more. It's painful waiting for that fake banter to end. Not one bit funny.

Ray Darcy saying waaaheeeeeeeeey every 20 minutes.

Ray Darcy exhaling in a moaning manner every 10 minutes.

Ray Darcy being obsessed with Irishness and thinking everything is a special Irish quirke when it's the same all over the world. What a sap.

Ray Darcy being against gambling because he heard a few sob stories. It's the responsiblity of an adult to look after themselves. A lot of people enjoy gambling.

Hector on 2fm is ridiculous for this "hairdressing salons with funny names, it's such an irish thing, you'd only get it in ireland!" utter tripe1

apparently many things that are done on a daily basis in the UK, US and half the known world are "uniquely irish" (like having a cup of tea...) according to that plank.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Damien Kiberd - after every text he reads out - "and loads more besides" :mad:

Joe Duffy - "OK, OK, OK, OK..." - and pretty much everything else he says. Ever. :mad:

Michael McMullen - everything about him. :mad:

Tom Dunne - his false laugh. And general boringness. :mad:

Tubridy - everything about him. :mad:

George Hook - already well covered, but another thing is the way he interupts and just shouts out "OK!!" when a guest is mid sentence, like hes just not interested anymore and he thinks we need to hear more of his own bull :mad:

Theres a female newsreader on Newstalk who takes a serious intake of breath before every story. Way ott, its like shes just been dunked under water for a couple of minutes :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spokeydokey

bamboozle wrote: »
    Yates wasnt even on the show and Donoghue still started the show after the 8 o clock news that 'Mr Yates got a better offer in Kerry' seriously, do you honestly think what 'Mr Yates' is doing, just tell us the news and do stop asking us to text in.

Ps- if you want to sound like a kid then keep referring to your co-host as 'Mr Yates'

if Donoghue corrected his dreadful pronouncation of de ledder T and stopped treating his co-host with near messiah status then he'd be a decent presenter.

I'm sure I heard him call Yeats ''Princess'' this morning:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

I'm sure I heard him call Yeats ''Princess'' this morning:confused:

I thought I heard that alright!

The fact that not one radio presenter can go 10 minutes without mentioning Twitter in some capacity is irritating enough, but that 95% of said mentions refer to it as either Twidder or Twisher drives me up the wall :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Philip King - won an award recently - 9.00pm Sunday Radio 1 - I listen for the music but he whispers most of the time which means I have to turn volume up when he talks and down when music starts. Good presenter but "Speak up man".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

mmmmm mmmmm mmmoncrief mmmmmm mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Has to be the golden rule in Newstalk that forces every presenter to use the line

John, who texted us on Newstalk at 53106 for 30c.............Mary has also texted Newstalk on 53106 for 30c.......

Don't forget you can also get involved in the discussion by texting Newstalk on 53106 for 30c!!!

How about every programme and every station actually do some prep and present a show that has no text, twitter, etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Ivan said yesterday he never reads them... waste of 30c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭yoda2001

Derek Mooney's ~(uncontrolled) excitement when he makes reference to 'queen' Elizabeth, the soft furnishing called a 'pouffe' or any other such word with a vague similarity to his own fav topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Ivan Yates' general smugness. But particularly about football. He knows nothing (he once said Fergie was a liability at United, who promptly won the league) and he's a glory hunting City "fan". He is the reason I pray to God every night that the Sheikh gets bored at City and wanders off, leaving them a financial ****-hole.

Hook being a grumpy little troll lately.

Dempsey's patronisation and being condescending.

D'Arcy's smugness. At least Foley makes it somewhat funny in small doses.

Joe Duffy encouraging the nanny state.

The tendency Derek Davis has to italicise certain words in a particular sentence, thus turning an opinion into a statement of fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Gareth o callaghan and how every song is his favourite and when he plays that feckin crowd cheering tape. Who are u trying to kid.....

Advertisement