Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland's Most Interesting Bridges

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

ardmacha wrote: »
    I don't think this one is already here, Kilcommer Co Cork.

Post #4 - Blackwater Viaduct nr.Fermoy - seems to go under a variety of different names. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Have we had Carickabrick?:D Or as I like to call it "the Bruno Stachel Bridge.":D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Post #4 - Blackwater Viaduct nr.Fermoy - seems to go under a variety of different names.

Drat. This thread should require coordinates for all locations.

Anyhow lets try again.
    Castletown viaduct on Dundalk Greenore line (now dismanted) with my Granda's train. The bridge at the northern end of the Dundalk relief road (now N52) is pretty much at this location.

castletownviaduct.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

from Limerick city..

Longest pedestrian bridge in Ireland, university of limerick living bridge

2365471473_83b45f0878.jpg

5065784109_57ebb8cce5_z.jpg

2421966454_2197653771_z.jpg?zz=1

2421966232_93bdddd681.jpg

3950210284_c71fe66c75.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

cdr-terminus-victoria-road.jpg

Back to Derry/Londonderry again and another view of Craigavon Bridge - this time a rather nice shot taken from the east bank and showing the narrow gauge CDR Terminus at Victoria Road. Today, directly across the river from this scene lies the remains of the Foyle Valley Railway Museum - a monument to intransigence. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

Two bridges over the River Barrow, near New Ross

"Red Barrow Bridge" (disused railway bridge)

800px-Red-Barrow_bridge_taken_from_Cherrys_Road.JPG

old-railway-brdge-above-new-ross-01_resize-1919.jpg?w=500&h=375

Mountgarrett "ferry" bridge (with inbuilt Scherzer system unused for many years)

2753931757_636645d3ec.jpg

ferrymountgarrett-bridge-04_resize.jpg?w=500&h=750

Street View

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The bridge across to the Mt Elliot tunnel, above, is an amazing contraption. It was opened by hand - a crank handle operating the whole span via an enormous gearbox. I've got pics of the workings somewhere.

Re the 2nd pics, whats a Scherzer System?

Andy

alinton wrote: »
    The bridge across to the Mt Elliot tunnel, above, is an amazing contraption. It was opened by hand - a crank handle operating the whole span via an enormous gearbox. I've got pics of the workings somewhere.

Re the 2nd pics, whats a Scherzer System?

Andy

Basically amounts to being a bridge with a "rolling lift" (named after its American engineer / developer William Scherzer). My knowledge and / or understanding of the mechanism itself however would be limited. :D

Dublin (north quays) has a couple of this type as well.

locks_lge.jpg

Street View offers the chance to check on a few other disused railway bridges that aren't photographed all that much

Killorglin

Cahirciveen

Waterford "Old Iron Bridge"

• teekayd25 wrote: »
    Basically amounts to being a bridge with a "rolling lift" (named after its American engineer / developer William Scherzer). My knowledge and / or understanding of the mechanism itself however would be limited. :D

Dublin (north quays) has a couple of this type as well.

locks_lge.jpg

A quick google produces this http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0u5G8E3uPUAC&pg=PA714&lpg=PA714&dq=bridge+Scherzer+System%3F&source=bl&ots=ooc8-j9d4X&sig=YRQ1SM4WFDWgpI5y1ZSAgjHbM-M&hl=en&ei=DmphTcTTB9G04gad8dCHCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=bridge%20Scherzer%20System%3F&f=false quite interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

teekayd25 wrote: »
    Two bridges over the River Barrow, near New Ross

"Red Barrow Bridge" (disused railway bridge)

800px-Red-Barrow_bridge_taken_from_Cherrys_Road.JPG

old-railway-brdge-above-new-ross-01_resize-1919.jpg?w=500&h=375

It the course of New Ross head of the river from St. Mullins to New Ross, i'm pretty sure i rowed under this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

Tremelo wrote: »
    I'm going to include this tiny bridge simply because of its age. It dates from around 1200, and is located in a field about 3km from Golden off the N74.

This is the view of the priory. It is a vast complex, and the bridge is visible in the center left of the photo:

DSCF3341.jpg

DSCF3343.jpg

DSCF3345.jpg

The stream that ran beneath the bridge is now dry. Here is a view from the river bed looking up at one of the arches of the bridge (the stone work is original):

Just beyond the bridge this is the view into the priory:

It is filled with effigies, spiral stair cases, arches, alters, and magnificent medieval architecture. All in a field, all free to visit and wander around. Also, a great place to go to at dusk for a deliciously creepy experience.

A magical place I agree. Thanks for the photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Anyone got any pics of the new Peace Bridge in Derry? I walked over it the other day but didnt get any decent pics worth posting. Really adds to the city though I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭Ban Ki Moon

To be replaced, or just removed?
    To be removed because nobody uses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Tremelo, any chance you could link me to where the priory is on google maps? A quick search+perusal of street view hasn't helped me find it heading south east out of Golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Interesting that night-Wexford bridge during skyfest with a 300m pryotechnic "waterfall"

152876.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Not terribly interesting, but an often used seldom seen bridge - Athlone Bypass Bridge.

03E85890DEC24729A339957E4246FB59-0000315944-0002269142-00800L-958D1F9F465044459846AC2262E1AF3A.jpg

1721524EB1D04C73970E99FBE9A4A9F9-0000315944-0002269141-00800L-3B968EDC568348C295259FAFC03F0A83.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

Sarsfield Bridge, Limerick City

Wellesley Pier, on Sarsfield Bridge home to two of Limericks boar clubs, Shannon and Limerick.

392505676_8d2cffaa51_o_d.jpg

The opposite side of the pier.

2037882_7fe358c9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Always liked this one in Grand Canal Dock, Dublin
    4280719746_0cf4209b32_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Dublin's, O'Connell Bridge.

in St. Stephans Green :)
    29465774_10d72ead36.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Roryhy wrote: »
    Always liked this one in Grand Canal Dock, Dublin
    snip image

the fan effect on that is class looking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

the fan effect on that is class looking

What they call a skewed arch. Quite a number of the bridges built over the canals (Grand and Royal) during late 18th century were of skew arch design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

But why is it so low?

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

But why is it so low?

A.

The railway bridge beside Grand Canal dock? Well the trainline is elevated at Westland Row (Pearse Station), the gradient starts at Lansdowne and is quite gradual. If the Bridge was higher then the entire line into Pearse street would have to be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Harps wrote: »
    Anyone got any pics of the new Peace Bridge in Derry? I walked over it the other day but didnt get any decent pics worth posting. Really adds to the city though I think

I don't think its open yet. Was up home at the weekend and it looks like its nearly there.

Anybody know what its to be called? The bridge is very impressive, kinda like that one in Limerick university. Can only walk across it, no traffic, pedestrian. Nice pic would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But why is it so low?

A.
    It is one of the oldest railway bridges in the country (and not far off oldest in the world), so questions like "How do I get my supercube truck past the railway?" hadn't yet arisen. There are higher bridges nearby. Note that much of the surrounding land isn't much higher than high tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

That bridge ( Grand Canal Dock) underpass currently has flashing signs at each end at Pearse St and Grand Canal St saying "No Through Road from 26 APRIL" which means the rest of the cycle lane is going in i.e. it is going pedestrian/cycle.

• Advertisement

• Victor wrote: »
    It is one of the oldest railway bridges in the country (and not far off oldest in the world), so questions like "How do I get my supercube truck past the railway?" hadn't yet arisen. There are higher bridges nearby. Note that much of the surrounding land isn't much higher than high tide.

Like this! :D

Advertisement