Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toughest Climb in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I always do this on my training rides when I go through Birdhill. Short but damn tough.

Have a quick gander at the elevation.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/birdhill/156125061069318262

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Jumpy wrote: »
    I always do this on my training rides when I go through Birdhill. Short but damn tough.

Have a quick gander at the elevation.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/birdhill/156125061069318262

Man that's a kinda weird lump...don't really know what to call it! It seems like it is only steep for about 200m, although even 100m of 20% gradient is tough going! What's it like, can you just sprint the whole way up it. Looking at the gradients it kind of reminds me of Patricks hill in Cork, how does it compare to it? I must give it a go the next time I'm out that direction! Cheers ;)

Man that's a kinda weird lump...don't really know what to call it! It seems like it is only steep for about 200m, although even 100m of 20% gradient is tough going! What's it like, can you just sprint the whole way up it. Looking at the gradients it kind of reminds me of Patricks hill in Cork, how does it compare to it? I must give it a go the next time I'm out that direction! Cheers ;)

If you are fit enough you could try to sprint :) Its bloody steep though, unless you shift out your weight you will topple over backwards with a hard pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

there's some serious gradient around some of the smaller roads over the slieve blooms, not sure what percentage exactly, but they seemed wicked when i did it there last month!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

If you are fit enough you could try to sprint :) Its bloody steep though, unless you shift out your weight you will topple over backwards with a hard pedal.

i went to school in Birdhill, we used cycle up that on BMX's and other fixed gear kiddies bikes...going down it with no brakes used be a load of fun too..:)

how come it was so much easier back then?

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    i went to school in Birdhill, we used cycle up that on BMX's and other fixed gear kiddies bikes...going down it with no brakes used be a load of fun too..:)

how come it was so much easier back then?

Because you weighed a quarter of what you do now :)

No brakes now would be a little hairy though, it goes straight onto the Dublin road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Because you weighed a quarter of what you do now :)

No brakes now would be a little hairy though, it goes straight onto the Dublin road.

ah the old foot against the back wheel used to help a lot, and the driveway of the house across from the church (bottom of the hill on the left) was the emergency bail out point....although i do remember whizzing across the road one day totallly out of control but there was no traffic at the time..

what can i say, you do crazy things when you are young..hell when it snowed the odd time we used come flying down the hilly roads around there sitting on fertilizer bags...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭turbine?

Was looking at the elevation profile of the Step. Looks nice, in a hurting kind of way.

The Step is longer, but this is definetly steeper! (As mentioned previously, Garmin has it at 24 - 25% max)

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/glengarriff/836125080551197674

tick the see elevation box to get the profile.

The climb up to Barley Lake is steeper but the road isnt on mapmyride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The toughest climb has to be climbing out of bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 damnedunited

Hi all,
    If you are looking for some of the toughest climbs in Ireland Bantry in West Cork is a great place to centre yourself for a week
    The sheep’s head is a lovely scenic cycle starting in Bantry and looping back via kilcrohane and Durrus. The road is constantly rising and dipping and the surface is poor. There are two very steep but short ramps near the summit and a lovely descent into kilcrohane. It is about 35-40 miles but you can include Vaughan’s pass from the south side (straight forward climb) on the way back if you want. This would be classed as an easy/scenic cycle ideal for a rest day. Easy/medium
    Vaughan’s pass directly behind the town is about one mile to the summit from Main Street. It averages in the low teens and max gradient is 20+. It is not a particularly hard climb due to its short length but it’s a nice one to get started and the view from the car park at the top is the nicest I have seen anywhere. Medium climb
    The tunnel rock is about 11 miles from Bantry. It’s over 5.5 miles long peaking at 1096ft. Max gradient is 6% and averages 3.7%. It’s about 3.5 miles from the Kenmare side with a max of 8% and average of 4.3%. It’s a similar climb to moll’s gap only harder. Medium climb
    The Healy pass is also within range from Bantry. It’s about 3.5 miles from the Adrigole side and slightly less from the Kerry side. Maxing 7% and 9% and averaging 4.4% and 4.8% respectively. Brilliant scenery, harder from Kerry side, a medium climb.
    Gougane Barra is about 15 miles from Bantry. If you take the cycle route for cork from there (crazy gradient at first would estimate close to 30%) and go left at mainish road (VERY EASY TO GET LOST, VERY BAD ROADS) you can come to coolea and pass the highest pub in Ireland and descend to kilgarvin. This is about 20 miles and is all up or down, there are two short climbs with one 4 mile climb in the middle peaking at 1175ft. Medium climbs
    The borlin valley then runs from kilgarvin back towards Bantry. It 8 miles from kilgarvin to the peak (1250ft) all uphill of various degrees. Depending on where you class the climb to begin. If you take it to be five miles from the summit the max gradient is 9% and average 3.8%. This average however hides a relatively flat mile in the middle. The last two miles have an average of 6.6% and max of 11% From the Bantry side it is also about 8 miles if you take the knockanecosduff hill approach. If you take the approach from the road further north the climb is 5 miles averaging 4% and maxing at 6%. The climb is harder from the kilgarvin side and be careful on the way down as the sheep here are frightened and will run away/in front of you and the boreen is winding. This is one of my favourite climbs as it is long, has nice scenery and is just hard enough to get a sense of accomplishment at the top. Medium/hard climb.
    Barley Lake as pointed out by turbine is a tough climb. I clocked it as 1.5 miles from turn off but the first half mile is a mixture of up and down. It really kicks off at the white house where the warning sign is and i would love to know the gradient of the first piece as it is very steep. It’s a bit over a mile from there and I would estimate an average gradient in the high teens. The descent is one of does ones where you have the breaks pulled full and you’re still doing 5-10 miles an hour. Again as turbine pointed out the ascent from the bottom up to the tunnel rock is another good challenge. I calculated the average to be near 15% for 1.1% miles. Turbine has the max at 25% and I would well believe it as its levels off a bit at the top. Hard climbs
    Two other good shortest climbs in that region are the bit of the Beara way that goes over the hill to Bonane half way down the tunnel rock descent to Glengariff and the road that bypasses Glengariff from the echliss hotel (spelling?). I do not have stats for these but know the latter has again patches at 20+. There is also a climb in Farnanes north of Drimoleague, it is a mile long and averages around 12% with a few 20% patches. There is also a small climb to the foot of this and another short steep climb in the area. These are less than 10 miles from Bantry in nice country side but are hard to find. Further east, on the road between Dunmanway (Up past Sam Maguire Park) and Drinagh there is a 1.25 mile climb averaging 6.7% with steep sections. This is about 15 miles from Bantry. Lough ine hill near Skibbereen has 20+ gradients but is so short it’s not worth the effort. Mount Gabriel’s is also within range and you can climb to the beacons at the top from the north side. I think a poster on this site posted details at one stage. Ballybane is a cat 3 climb on the tour of Ireland Sunday, it’s between Bantry and ballydehob but it fairly easy. These climbs range from easy to medium and could be taken in if in the area but I wouldn’t go out of my way to do them.
    Which brings me to the priests leap (8 miles from Bantry). From the Bantry side it varies from 3.25 to 3.75 miles depending on where you call the start. (there is a small climb ¾ mile averaging in the teens at the base if you want to get the legs going before you start, when you take the turn for priests leap from coomhola bridge keep going straight instead of going right for priests leap, it starts straightaway) the average from high 7s to low 8s. God only knows what the max in patches is. The Kenmare side is shorter, around 3 miles depending on where you start, but most of the assent is done in 1.5 miles of constant up averaging at around 13%. The road then dips before one last steep patch. The Bantry side can be broken down into four sections the first one is about a mile and in my opinion the hardest and is a serious of huge rises followed by short easier patches and then more up and so on. There is then a small patch of low gradient and near flat followed by a 2nd shorter series of rises. If you make this far still on your bike I would imagine you would make it as there is now a patch of near flat and slight downhill to recover followed by the the third section which is again a little over a mile. It has the steep ramps but also more patches of easier gradient and slight downhill. When you reach the top of this you are as good as home one more downhill and the last savagely steep but short ramp. This climb is by far the toughest I have ever experienced, some of the others I have mentioned are solid intermediate climbs, some very steep but short. The priest leap combined the two, length by steepness and also poor grip due to the road condition. The first time I went up there was the only time I have had to get off my bike and stop and the only time I have felt like getting sick while cycling. It was after about a mile and when I got back on I finished it okay and then climbed it from the other side in one go suggesting to me it’s easier from the Kenmare side. If anyone is going to attempt this climb be very careful as the road is dangerous covered in sheep sh*t and the sheep themselves, running water and grass in the middle and both sides giving you little room to play with. For instance the last time I was up there I was going up a steep bit and between a combination of the above my wheel spun, couldn’t move, no time to clip out and fell off. Also the first time you do this I would suggest just concentrating on getting to the top not how fast you are going unless of course you are a serious rider. Hors category.
    At this stage I have done most climbs in Munster and have to admit the priest leap is the hardest by a bit. I have the Connor pass pencilled in b4 the end of the summer and I am doing the step next week which are the two big ones I am missing. To be honest I’m not two bothered about the step I know it will be tough but statistically at least it not as daunting as some of the ones I done as 1) its short and 2) while steep I have done steeper climbs. There is actually 1.5 miles in the priests leap from the Kenmare side that is statistically harder and you still have to go for another 1.5 miles all be it not as steep.
    Anyway I hope this helps your debate and I will leave ye know how I find the step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Some time ago I proposed the idea of puttings signs at the foot of what are regarded as the most challenging climbs in the country, following on from all the discussion that has gone on here. There was a reasonably poisitive reaction and I would now like to see if this can be advanced some more. I have made a brief proposal to Cycling Ireland and received an enthusiastic response. The involvement of people here however is what is really required.

Here is how I see the project panning outfrom here:

1. Decide on name/branding - say something like Ireland Classic Climbs
    2. Establish a small (online) working group from here.
    3. Decide on criteria for selecting the particular climb
    4. Use the extended group and local clubs to nominate climbs for inclusion.
    5. When selected have sign designed and ask each local authority to pay for part of the cost, Fáilte Ireland and Cycling Ireland to perhaps meet the remainder.
    6. Create a website showing the location of the "Classic Climbs"

Anyone here interested in getting involved? I'm not saying this idea will come to anything - but I think it would be nice to give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 moylaghshergar

Hey guys, I reckon Mount Leinster (Carlow/Wexford) is the toughest climb in Ireland. From the Carlow side (Borris) its 11km and has an average gradient of 6.9% with the last two kilometres reaching almost 16%. Its 13km from the wexford side (Bunclody) and an average of 5.9% gradient.

I was down in Cork last weekend for the Tour of Ireland and Patrick's hill looked tough - 23% gradient.

Yesterday I was out on the bike in North County Meath in the Oldcastle area. I climbed up Slieve na Calligh and man was it tough, although the climb is less than a kilometre I reckon its as steep as patricks hill maybe even 25% gradient in places.

Check out www.climbbybike.com - it has gradient profiles and reports from all the best climbs world wide including about 25 from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Mount Leinster is by no means the toughest, honestly. I was very disappointed going over it last Friday ahead of the Tour of Ireland. The route the ToI followed descended rather than ascended the Borris side but no way the toughest climb in the country. In fact the route the ToI followed I would class as "very easy," where they got "Cat 1" for that I don't know. Patrick's Hill is bloody steep but it is very short, I have got up it (albeit with difficulty and on the second attempt) on my fixie. Welcome to Boards by the way :)

My vote is currently sticking with Slieve Maan from the Glenmalure side for the longest steady steepish climb but I have not been up the Mamore Gap :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

blorg wrote: »
    My vote is currently sticking with Slieve Maan from the Glenmalure side for the longest steady steepish climb but I have not been up the Mamore Gap :)

Slieve Maan is tough no question about that, but Priests Leap is simply unreal.

michaelm wrote: »
    Here is how I see the project panning outfrom here:

1. Decide on name/branding - say something like Ireland Classic Climbs
    2. Establish a small (online) working group from here.
    3. Decide on criteria for selecting the particular climb
    4. Use the extended group and local clubs to nominate climbs for inclusion.
    5. When selected have sign designed and ask each local authority to pay for part of the cost, Fáilte Ireland and Cycling Ireland to perhaps meet the remainder.
    6. Create a website showing the location of the "Classic Climbs"

Anyone here interested in getting involved? I'm not saying this idea will come to anything - but I think it would be nice to give it a go.

Check out www.climbbybike.com - it has gradient profiles and reports from all the best climbs world wide including about 25 from Ireland.

In order to keep the above ideas going, I have submitted Priests Leap to www.climbbybike.com

It will take them about 2 weeks to verify my data and publish the climb.
    But maybe anyone submitting a climb in this tread could also think about submitting it on climbbybike, so we will have all of the irish climbs in one handy reference.

firstly blorg, thanks for the welcome man. I'll certainly take your word for it as I have not climb Mount Leinster and I was only going from the profile and comments on climbbybike.com.

Man going up patricks hill on a fixie, good going man.

Mamore Gap doesn't look to bad (but again i'm going by the profile on climbbybike), I really got to get out and do some of these climbs.

How long is the Slieve Maan climb your talking about. I know Glenmalure from climbing Lug (not by bike obviously). What are the gradients like and also how long is it?

Hey ROK ON, whats up man. I look forward to viewing Priests leap on climbbybike (a site I only discovered yesterday)

@moylaghshergar- it can be difficult to tell with these things if you have not gone up them. Mamore Gap however has been used for the National Hill Climb Championships and has a reported reputation from guys who would know other climbs.

Also difficult to agree on what is the "toughest" - as there are two main variables, length and steepness (although exposure also plays a role, such as on Mont Ventoux.) So you can have a climb that is really steep (25% peak) but not that long- or one that goes on for near 10% for kilometers. There are certainly hills in Ireland far far steeper than any part of Alpe d'Huez, but then they don't go on for 14km...

@blorg - I think Mamore Gap is being used today in the Irish Hill Climbing championships.

Also, with Mont Ventoux and Alpe Duez you have to contend with altitude - less oxygen and dryer air, plus sweltering heat if the sun is beaming down.

Have you climb Mont Ventoux or any of the Alpine Climbs? Do you cycle competitively?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

michaelm wrote: »
    Some time ago I proposed the idea of puttings signs at the foot of what are regarded as the most challenging climbs in the country...

Sounds like a great idea - if it was possible to do.

There seems to be a similar thing done in Mallorca. (I don't know about the rest of Spain, and I can't remember about France.) I think it was done as part of the official road signage - there's a sign at the bottom with the name of the climb, distance and gradient, and a second sign marking the summit and with the height above sea level. I thought it was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

@blorg - I think Mamore Gap is being used today in the Irish Hill Climbing championships.

I did that yesterday. Rode it in the morning to get an idea of what to expect. It has some nasty ramps and goes on for quite a bit, but I was taking it easy so didn't put in much effort. Having said that, I was pleased when it was over. Then I came back and rode it in the competition a few hours later. Jesus, what an absolute killer. I thought I was going to die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Delighted to see there is interest in taking this further. I have spoken with one of the guys in Cycling Ireland about this and he is very interested. For the idea to be realised it will need to be managed by somebody like Cycling Ireland but I think we can do the groundwork. The cost will not be a major issue as it can be split three ways: the relevant local authority (they will all want a climb in their area included if the idea takes off), Fáilte Ireland, as it has obvious tourist potential and finally Cycling Ireland themselves.

I believe we are now ready to move this on a step and set up a small working group to decide where to go from here. Could someone with better project management and IT skills than me suggest how something like this could work as an online collaborative project?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

blorg wrote: »
    That was this one although this Saturday we did this one which is short but pretty steep, definate 25% section.

I regularly do that first climb, and was pleasantly surprised today to discover that it has just been resurfaced during the week with lovely smooth virgin asphalt. The new surface extends from just after the sharp little bend (at the word "Piperstown" on Blorgs map) to the top where it joins Stocking lane.

Terrific surface now for climbing/descending for those based in west Dublin looking for a new route into the mountains.

Anyway.........Hats off to SDCC, obviously still something left in their Roads Budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ditch hurler

howya

my two cents based on what i have climbed. Gravity and hills are not my friends.

Keeper hill silvermines TOI 2008 is the toughest. It was more of a cycle / hiking challenge. Jamie 'whats his face' from the Gran fondo team had to take a break at the top. Descent was scary.

Local mountain is the Slieve Blooms. Glendine New road from Laois side is definitely the toughest. Remote and beautiful. Passes close to the summit Ard Erin. You can challenge the mountain but it always wins. The road that decends towards Kinnity is presently in a very dangerous condition .Wish Coillte / Offaly CoCo would take some action.

The corrabut gap on the climb of Mt leinster is a yappy mofo too. Thats from the Myshal side. Mile Bush on the Humpy route is also fairly sticky

howya

Local mountain is the Slieve Blooms. Glendine New road from Laois side is definitely the toughest. Remote and beautiful. Passes close to the summit Ard Erin. You can challenge the mountain but it always wins. The road that decends towards Kinnity is presently in a very dangerous condition .Wish Coillte / Offaly CoCo would take some action.

Hello. A group of us tackled the three climbs in the Slieve Blooms during the summer (the cut, Wolftrap and the Glendine). We tackled the Glendine from the Kinnity side and descended down the Mountrath (Laois) side.
    Glendine was the toughest climb of the three. Road on Ofally side is bad bad bad. The descent was fantastic - great road surface, steep fast and lots of corners and bends. Exciting and nervewracking in equal measures. It woulddefinitely be a tough climb. I recall Niceonetom saying that we should go back and climb from that side - however I would hate to descend from Glendine throught the forest down to Kinnity.

You live in a lovely area. I would have to say the road surfuace on the Laois side of the Glendine is probably the best descent in the country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The corrabut gap on the climb of Mt leinster is a yappy mofo too. Thats from the Myshal side. Mile Bush on the Humpy route is also fairly sticky

jerseyeire was thinking to himself the hard work was over after Mt. Leinster on the humpy hundred, hmmmmm, Mile Bush had me heart broke going up it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

jimm wrote: »
    I regularly do that first climb, and was pleasantly surprised today to discover that it has just been resurfaced during the week with lovely smooth virgin asphalt. The new surface extends from just after the sharp little bend (at the word "Piperstown" on Blorgs map) to the top where it joins Stocking lane.

I was up this on Sunday for the first time, gets my vote for one of the toughest climbs close to Dublin. By close I mean north of the Sally Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cyclingulster

No doubt about it....toughest climb in Ireland is the Mamore Gap in Donegal.

No doubt about it....toughest climb in Ireland is the Mamore Gap in Donegal.
    Have you done the Priest's Leap on the Kerry side?

I have never done the Mamore climb (nor I am I likely to).
    I would add two more to this.
    Priest Leap from Cork side looks like a softer option than Kerry side. Not sure having done it today. It is a series of flattish steps (up to 8%) with 10-22% climbing sections.
    Pure savagery on a rubbish road.

The violent change in gradient is quiet literally nauseating. This continues for exactly 6km.
    There are two descents where you actually lose 20 hard won meters.

With the leap from Kerryside you have a gentle enough climb up to a section of 15% for 2km. But at least it is constant.

Did Mullaganish two weeks ago. Climbs 550m to 640m top in 7km.
    First half at a consistent 7%. Then 3,5Km at about 11%. Loads of hairpins so average varies between 8 and 15%.

Road surface on the private road to the rte mast is good. Feels easier than the leap for some reason despite being higher and longer. But not by much however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

ROK ON wrote: »
    I have never done the Mamore climb (nor I am I likely to).
    I would add two more to this.
    Priest Leap from Cork side looks like a softer option than Kerry side. Not sure having done it today. It is a series of flattish steps (up to 8%) with 10-22% climbing sections.
    Pure savagery on a rubbish road.

The violent change in gradient is quiet literally nauseating. This continues for exactly 6km.
    There are two descents where you actually lose 20 hard won meters.

With the leap from Kerryside you have a gentle enough climb up to a section of 15% for 2km. But at least it is constant.

Did Mullaganish two weeks ago. Climbs 550m to 640m top in 7km.
    First half at a consistent 7%. Then 3,5Km at about 11%. Loads of hairpins so average varies between 8 and 15%.

Road surface on the private road to the rte mast is good. Feels easier than the leap for some reason despite being higher and longer. But not by much however.
    Hi ROK, would you be able to suggest a serious climbing route of about 120-130km, starting in kenmare/killarney that might open the eyes of a few struggling Etapers?

Advertisement