Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired of paying 29.99€ for 12 protein bars ? TRY THIS!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

Has anyone made this with Unflavoured whey Protein? Just wondering on taste.

Perhaps I could add something to liven it up? Nesquik perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Does anyone know how well these would keep if they were left unrefrigerated?

I ask as I am going on a safari and think they'd make an excellent midday snack for those long games drives

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

double GG wrote: »

I'd use cocoa myself if you needed it.
    --Kaiser-- wrote: »

I ask as I am going on a safari and think they'd make an excellent midday snack for those long games drives

They go fairly sticky left out of the fridge and lose their shape quick enough so i'd say they would get messy! You could keep them in a cool bag/box maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Gotta have a bash off this again at the weekend, will post results/pics :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Paigne wrote: »
    How did that end up Hanley?? You got me thinking of bars with banana protein and nutella...... :pac:

Apologies - only saw this. They were amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

double GG wrote: »

Unflavoured + Cocao/Nesquik = Chocolate Whey

Thats basically all flavoured whey is. So using unflavoured is fine if that all you have. Although, obviously don't buy unflavoured if its only for this purpose. As its just hassle

I made these with choco mint whey. I forgot the oats, its very sticky, but still tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

gavtron wrote: »
    I'd use cocoa myself if you needed it.

They go fairly sticky left out of the fridge and lose their shape quick enough so i'd say they would get messy! You could keep them in a cool bag/box maybe?

Not an option I'm afraid, I'm packing light!

I just made these now,currently in the freezer as I type. I used a tiny bit of cocoa powder and it instantly turned it a lovely brown chocolately colour.

Another tip could be to use the little tubs rice come in from the chinese (Plastic ones) to freeze it instead of using the bag, might be easier but I'll let you all know what happens and how they tatse in an hour or so! But from the non-frozen taste they're gonna be yum.

Are you guys using these as meal replacers or as a snack or how?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

What happens if you bake these? I've done a Google search and found out that the whey "de-natures", and there's something about the amino acids not being available then.

Can someone explain this to me in English, as I want to bring these bars to work, but not if they're all sticky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

i tried baking something like these before... not a success...goes like cardboard.... your better off eating them as they are... even if they are sticky...next time use a little less wet ingredient

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

Get biltong over there! Traditional beef jerky. That and the still beating heart of a freshly slain wildebeast should tide you over.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Beffy

I made these the other day with vanilla whey protein. As has been mentioned they taste like the inside of a snickers. Mine however were very very sticky. Haven't figured out the ideal packaging yet. Tinfoil was a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Beffy wrote: »
    I made these the other day with vanilla whey protein. As has been mentioned they taste like the inside of a snickers. Mine however were very very sticky. Haven't figured out the ideal packaging yet. Tinfoil was a disaster.

Grease proof paper might help

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

Grease proof paper might help

indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Beffy wrote: »
    I used cling film before, did the job. If they are too sticky try using less water next different powders need more/less water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Any idea how long these would last in the fridge? I have a few that have been there about 10 days. They look ok, but, you know... death and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rusty Rothar

Tried these last week and brought one with me to work each day since, all went well provided I had them early in the day!! once it got past lunch time it reminded me of a 2 year old eating a chocolate cake, though it did stop me from raiding the vending machine at 5 o'clock

will definitely try it again and use less water

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Made these at the weekend. They're an unholy mess (wet and sticky) but they taste good and do the job. Next time I'm going to try less water and perhaps more oats. Might get the girlfriends input too cause she knows her baking. Not exactly the same but she'd know more than me about how these things work.

Thanks to OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Made these Sunday a week ago for himself, played around slightly with the ingredients - substituted honey for maple syrup, added dessicated coconut, an extra spoon of peanut butter, used flaked almonds instead of whole etc...

Im REALLY impressed!! I did as advised and put the mixture into a ziplock bag to freeze solid, had himself carve the frozen result into 7 bars, individually wrapped them in greaseproof paper held closed with a little sellotape and straight into the fridge in a tupperware container. He has been eating practically one a day since (theres one left now). They actually 'set' a bit better after a couple of days, the last couple Ive seen him eat have been far less messy looking. Theyre grand straight out of the greaseproof paper.

Ive just been requested to make them again, but to use crunchy peanut butter this time - so theyre a hit!

Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Made them with 'cookies and cream' flavoured protein last night. Havnt eaten one yet, but the mix tasted nice.

• Advertisement

Going to make these again tomorrow. Just another wee bump of this thread.

Ive been making them since I first posted on the thread last november. Ive changed the ingredients a little, crunchy peanut butter is a hit, as is the addition of dessicated coconut. Sometimes I forget bits, one making of them, frozen and all and I realised Id not put in the oats. However, himself eats them no matter what way I make them and he loves them. Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

made these last night....taste great..but they were in a lovely bar format when i left the house this morning. now there a pile of mush :(

FAIL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Transform1234, a boardsie has this good step by step video for making energy bars, you could add in additional protein if needed. Think it was in another thread but cannot seem to find it so I'll repost!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

My mate uses an ice cube tray for these and so has handy bite size portions!! Taste delish!!

frag420 wrote: »
    My mate uses an ice cube tray for these and so has handy bite size portions!! Taste delish!!

Thats a BRILLIANT idea!! Must get my hands on an ice cube tray or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Made these today and like some others added too much water! Very messy but came out grand in the end. Added a few dried banana's.

L
    frag420 wrote: »

Thats a BRILLIANT idea!! Must get my hands on an ice cube tray or two.

Stop now, your embarrassing me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Made these today and like some others added too much water! Very messy but came out grand in the end. Added a few dried banana's.

Same as, I keep mine in the freezer and take them out as i need them,they only take 10 minutes thawing then i cut one bar, they're much easier to eat then.

• Advertisement

Made these last night. added a few more different nuts such as crushed walnuts etc. They taste delish but one thing.........................they go to mush very quickly!! I had them in the freezer all night. Brought a bar to work today and kept it in the fridge in the office but my lunchtime it was mush. Is there anything I can add to it to toughen it up a little?? I used the bare minimum of water too when making these.

Suggestions welcome!!

frAg

Advertisement