Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill nightclubs of old

• 23-05-2008 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭granturismo

Can anyone help. Trying to settle an arguement - I'm trying to remember some places in Salthill from the the late 80s /early 90s.

Close to the prom, had Celtic 'art' and possibly owned by Monroes. Had regular gigs for touring bands.

Second was on the same side, and had 'Ruby Tuesdays' on Tuesday:), possibly downstairs.

Third was on the same side again, directly across from O'Connors.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The one across from O'Connors was CJ's. Too young to remember the rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

A.Vagabonds?
    Was B the International or something? Remember it had Juice on a Saturday as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭microgirl

A: definitely sounds like Vagabonds. Naked on a Friday was best club I've been to bar none, before or since, (ok, so that might be influenced by the fact that it was my haunt during the influential age of 18-19 - until they bloody closed it! - but still ;))

B: wouldn't have been The Castle, would it? I only ever went on a Thursday or Friday though, so can't remember if it had Ruby Tuesdays or not.

Edited to add: Actually, re-reading I don't think A is Vagabonds after all, not if you're describing other clubs as being on the same side as it. Vagabonds was on the seafront, and there were no other clubs near it. A sounds like it was probably The Castle in fact. That was the last club on the left heading towards the seafront, iirc.

Means I've no idea what B is though. Trying to remember all the Salthill clubs when I was in college. CJs has already been mentioned. The Warwick was (is?) on the other side of the road (same side as the church). Um, something tickling my mind about another club on the left that also began with a C, but I'm probably getting mixed up between The Castle and CPs.

Bah, I shall have to go ask my slightly older college friends now. This is going to bug me.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

No, Castle was where Krcma is now basically, not same side as Vagabonds.

God I still miss that place. Sex Kitchen has yet to be paralled in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Would Trends not be the club across from O'Connors? CJ's was behide/beside O'Connors also Trends is downstairs.

As for the one between trends and Vaggabonds, would that have been Setannta? It later became a strip club, then a club and god knows whats in there now. The guy who ran Setanta then went on to Calaco Jacks down the west.

Other old club names from the past in salthill.

The Prominade:
    Think Jazz Juice used be there when it first started. I knew it more as the warm up pub before we went to Oasis on a Friday night. Ah the fun we used have in 5th year, was reminded of it last weekend when I pulled out the old vinyl collection and spotted Mrs Woods - "Joanna"...

Rumors:
    Not sure what the building is any more. It was near seapoint and pink if I remember rightly. Think it was either a Mod or Punk place... honestly I was too young to care :P.

Trying to remember the name of the club where the office bar is now. Some reason the names shapes or images comes to mind but they also come to mind for some places out in gort or loughrea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Sounds like Vagabonds alright (said with a tear in my eye) ...best club Galway ever had :cool:

No, Castle was where Krcma is now basically, not same side as Vagabonds.

God I still miss that place. Sex Kitchen has yet to be paralled in my book.

Ya the castle getting closed and the sister in law of the guy that got it closed getting its license after was the start of the death of salthill.

I still remember getting ID'd going into the place to DJ :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

'Ruby Tuesdays' used to be held in Setantas, I think the ladies were allowed in free before midnight.
    Used to like Setantas, nice and dark, they used to have a night called 'Infected' somethin' similiar to 'Naked' in Vagabonds.

Vagabonds was excellent, where else could ya get a man dressed as the Alcohol Asassin, he had a water gun filled with vodka & some mixer. You could buy shots of Tequila in those yokies that doctors ask ya to wee into.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

kayos wrote: »
    Rumors:
    Not sure what the building is any more. It was near seapoint and pink if I remember rightly. Think it was either a Mod or Punk place... honestly I was too young to care :P.

Trying to remember the name of the club where the office bar is now. Some reason the names shapes or images comes to mind but they also come to mind for some places out in gort or loughrea.

Rumours became the Jameson Hotel (beside AIB), and is now about to become a pub and the new AIB.

The Office used to be Shapes IIRC.

What about Francie's 21s Club LOL
    Promenade ... wasn't that Ocean's Eleven at one stage?

Had this conversation with someone recently ... we counted up around 15 individual nightclubs in Salthill during the 80s/90s. Was too drunk at the time to remember half of them.

Stick around ... I'm sure this thread will get a lot busier!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭granturismo

Close to the prom, had Celtic 'art' and possibly owned by Monroes. Had regular gigs for touring bands.

Setanta sounds right. I'm fairly sure it was Setantas.
    Second was on the same side, and had 'Ruby Tuesdays' on Tuesday:), possibly downstairs.

Possibly The Prominade if there was a basement/downstairs. It sounds familiar, still trying to drag the memories back. Ruby Tuesdays was an indie club and always finished with Rolling Stones - Ruby Tuesday. This place was about half way between Oasis and the prom.

Ruby Tuesdays may have migrated between venues after 1990-1992, yes that long ago.

Ojasis - oasis. yes. thats it. How could I forget that name.

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Can anyone help. Trying to settle an arguement - I'm trying to remember some places in Salthill from the the late 80s /early 90s.

I am fairly sure that was Setanta's.
    Second was on the same side, and had 'Ruby Tuesdays' on Tuesday:), possibly downstairs..
    Yeah as someone has said that was the club below Trends bar, not sure if the club itself had it's own name, I think it did but can't remember it.

Dunno, the arcade is directly across from O'Connors, don't think there was ever a club there.

Sconsey wrote: »
    Yeah as someone has said that was the club below Trends bar, not sure if the club itself had it's own name, I think it did but can't remember it.

Trend's niteclub 'twas called[me thinks]. Psychedelia was there for a little while, Psychedelia's main residence was downstairs in the Castle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 OneOfMars

Ojasis - oasis. yes. thats it. How could I forget that name.

Thanks all.

The oasis is beside the Warick hotel not, opposite O'Connors pub?? (unless you've been drinking heavily of course)

soundbyte wrote: »
    Rumours became the Jameson Hotel (beside AIB), and is now about to become a pub and the new AIB.

Was that where it was? Good god. What was the dodgy looking place near seapoint so..... hmmm. Again I was a little lad, hard to remember back that far.
    The Office used to be Shapes IIRC.

Yay my memory is not failing totally.
    Promenade ... wasn't that Ocean's Eleven at one stage?

The Promenade was the Promenade Hotel. Actaully thinking back not sure was it Jazz Juice or Feet First that used be in the place.
    Had this conversation with someone recently ... we counted up around 15 individual nightclubs in Salthill during the 80s/90s. Was too drunk at the time to remember half of them.

Too drunk back then or on the night you where counting them or both :P.

Bring back the castle, we want the sex kitchen back! Failing that bring back the old Post Van DJ box in GPO and the comedy club on a sunday followed by jazz juice. Oh and the old crowd as well :P.

OneOfMars wrote: »
    The oasis is beside the Warick hotel not, opposite O'Connors pub?? (unless you've been drinking heavily of course)

Possibly :).

O'Connors used to own a place almost behind the Hibernian building. It was a hotel and nightclub (possibly CJs).

As you walked (as I walked/stumbled) from the old cinema down to the prom, my recollection is The Oasis (with palm tree murals outside and ever so friendly bouncers:rolleyes:) was on the right, as was the Warwick, this venue owned by one of the O'Connors was on the left. The Castle was durther down on the left and Setantas on the right down towards the prom.

This was 1988/1992, and I seem to remember that the Oasis looking derelict a few years ago so there is probably something different on the site now.

the Hibernian building

Would that not have been better know as the Celtic International building? Or the Friends First Building? Hibernian where there for a short time in comparison before they moved up to Knocknacarra.

O'Connors used to own a place almost behind the Hibernian building. It was a hotel and nightclub (possibly CJs).

As you walked (as I walked/stumbled) from the old cinema down to the prom, my recollection is The Oasis (with palm tree murals outside and ever so friendly bouncers:rolleyes:) was on the right, as was the Warwick, this venue owned by one of the O'Connors was on the left. The Castle was durther down on the left and Setantas on the right down towards the prom.

This was 1988/1992, and I seem to remember that the Oasis looking derelict a few years ago so there is probably something different on the site now.

My bad, confusing the past with the present! :) How come Google hav'nt introduced Google Temporal (kinda like google maps but a second slider for back in time!) Oasis is the same building, just not used for anything. Think it was a strip club, then some lads tried to rekindle it as a club but people were not really ready for a salthill revival.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

Take it from me,, If ye ever visited the Bournmount, the experience would be forever burned into your memory! There was a strange loophole, that a club had to serve food, to qualify for a late bar license, hence... The beef stew!!!!

Take it from me,, If ye ever visited the Bournmount, the experience would be forever burned into your memory! There was a strange loophole, that a club had to serve food, to qualify for a late bar license, hence... The beef stew!!!!

Ah yes I remember one weekend, not sure was it a groove weekend or a budthud where all the clubs where forced to stop the music, turn on the lights and serve "food"..... it was more a law than a loophole

kayos wrote: »
    Would that not have been better know as the Celtic International building? Or the Friends First Building? Hibernian where there for a short time in comparison before they moved up to Knocknacarra.

Yes, your right. I thought Hibernian took over the first company there and just put in the first name that came to mind.
    OneOfMars wrote: »
    My bad, confusing the past with the present! :) ...Think it was a strip club, then some lads tried to rekindle it as a club but people were not really ready for a salthill revival.

I remember talk of a strip club. Reminds me of the time in the Oasis when a very kind person offered me the services of his girlfriend for 20 minutes outside. I declined,thinking that getting robbed and the crap beaten out of me wasnt how I wanted to finish the night.

Salthill revival is probably best left alone (at least for old fogies like me) a bit like Bosco, was great at the time but wouldnt want to sit through it now.

• Advertisement

Yes, your right. I thought Hibernian took over the first company there and just put in the first name that came to mind.

Well your kinda right, friends first bought celtic internationals book and hib then bought the book off friends first. Well thats the timeline I recall. Spent plenty of time in the server room, ok room with servers in it, down through the years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Beach Hotel . Some financial services thing in there across from the College ( was celtic international)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

microgirl wrote: »
    Naked on a Friday was best club I've been to bar none, before or since,
    DJ Des is still doing the rounds, I last caught up with him in Bar 903 one of the nights. Legend. I don't know if hes doing any clubs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I used to love Setanta, and I came across an old Oasis membership card recently that belonged to my brother, but which I used to use.

I worked a couple of nights in the revived Oasis, but unfortunately it didn't work out (I didn't think it was anything like the original). It had been Angels for a while (La Paradise on Dominic Street now), but is now once again on the road to ruin.

The Castle had so many different clubs running in it, and wasn't it CJs where the bouncers wore t-shirts saying "Please Don't Fight"???

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Fey! wrote: »
    wasn't it CJs where the bouncers wore t-shirts saying "Please Don't Fight"???

Yep ... also you may remember Cats (one of the many incarnations of the Oslo/Asylum/Setanta/Legends/Bogarts/Fast Eddy's) bouncers had T-shirts with 'Pussy Patrol' on them!

Now, what the hell was the interim name of the Oasis, before it became Angels and then the Oasis again. It was when it went ****e, around the same time of the Baywatch/CJs identity change. (Oasis was only good when Eileen and that mad oul lad Brian (also of the Lisheen) were there).

Promenade was defo Ocean's Eleven (the back entrance) at one stage.

Ahh the memories are flowing back ....

Now, what the hell was the interim name of the Oasis, before it became Angels and then the Oasis again. It was when it went ****e, around the same time of the Baywatch/CJs identity change. (Oasis was only good when Eileen and that mad oul lad Brian (also of the Lisheen) were there).

Was it called Liquid in between that period or was that later?

Ah I remember the chippy, think it was called the Wimpy[where Supermacs is now] the queues for that place. I remember walking everywhere too, taxi me ar$e, need that money form me naggin' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

yeah it was called Liquid at that period of time.. its also where Gugai started off with live bands then followed by gugai dj'ing, its laso where 'Naked' moved to after the closure of Vagabonds (after doing a stint in the GPO) then after Liquid moved to top level in cuba..

there has never been a club better than Vagabonds (shed's a tear at every mention of the name)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Yep ... also you may remember Cats (one of the many incarnations of the Oslo/Asylum/Setanta/Legends/Bogarts/Fast Eddy's) bouncers had T-shirts with 'Pussy Patrol' on them!
    Bogarts was fun.

Just Remember "Nostalgia's not what it used to be."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Fey! wrote: »
    and wasn't it CJs where the bouncers wore t-shirts saying "Please Don't Fight"???

Nope that was Vagabonds.The Cjs bouncers used to be decked out in dickie bows if i remember correctly.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement