Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland have any lifting stones?

• 25-07-2014 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

In many countries there are lifting stones used to test strength by local people. In Iceland for example a fishermans wages can be based on which stone he can lift.

'In the country of Scotland, the term “Clach Cuid Fir,” which is Gaelic for "manhood stones," is used to describe the art of lifting stones to test strength. Scotland probably has more testing stones than any other country. Typically, a young man was welcomed into manhood when he was able to lift his clan's testing stone up to his waist. ' Culturally Ireland and Scotland seem quite similar but I have never heard of this strength test here.

I am not talking about some dolmen that had to have been lifted into place thousands of years ago. But a large rock that is used as a test of strength for the community on a regular basis.

Liam O’Flaherty wrote about the pass time in a story called "the stone" based on a stone on the Aran Islands near Port Bhéal an Dún, in Gort na gCapall, that the locals used to lift

That is the only Irish 'lifting stone' I can find they are probably known by their Gaeilge name more commonly though.

Does anyone know of any Irish lifting stones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sean_0

I'm currently reading a book called "The Glen : An Gleann - Recollections from a Lost World", which is a translation of a book published in Irish in the 60's (https://www.cic.ie/books/published-books/the-glen-an-gleann-recollections-from-a-lost-world). It's about an area in South Tipperary near Newcastle where the author lived between 1880ish and the 1960s. I read the irish version years ago but I had forgotten about some of the stuff in there.

There are numerous references to both lifting and throwing stones throughout the book (I'm only about halfway through), including a reference to a big throwing stone which had a hoop attached. Unfortunately there are no concrete details there that one could actually use to figure out exactly where they are, but that area might be one to investigate if you get the chance. I get the impression that while it was a common pasttime, there weren't actually specific stones to be lifted around there, rather the locals would challenge each other on a random stone every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ScottishGael

I think the answer to the original question is yes there are many stones that in Gaelic culture were known as lifting stones in Ireland. There is reference to a lifting stone at Dreen south of Derry and north east of Monagahan there is a hamlet known as Clochnart which in either Irish or Scottish Gaelic translates as stone of strength from a lifting stone located in a nearby ancient fort.

Shortbread tin history - for the highland games, has corrupted the Gaelic language of strength with an emphasis on Clach cuid fir being lifting stones and Clach-neart putting stones ala the hand held stones thrown at the Games/ The truth is, Scottish Gaelic dialects ensured that lifting stones are known under different names eg in the Hebrides a lifting stone is known as "Ultach" - an armfull. In Perthshire the lifting stones were known as "Pullaid" and there are at least 8 known lifting stones known as Clach-neart pretty much dispelling the Highland Games myth.

Clach cuid fir is totally unknown to present Scottish Gaelic speakers and its source - James Logan was one of those Victorian writers who wished to romantacise Gaelic culture to suit - the phrase unfortunately does not hold water as does many of the myths about Gaelic stone lifting.

The level of a required lift of a heavy stone in both Gaelic cultures is best demonstrated by O'Flaherty in "The Stone" with the lift of putting the wind underneath the stone best known in present Scottish Gaelic culture.- North Uist for example.

I know that stone lifting on the Arran islands, particularly Innis Mein was popular up to the 1980's with 2 stones located near the old schoolhouse and a far heavier test of strength is also known of on the island.

Gaelic culture both Irish and Scottish is very much underpinned by Oral tradition so knowledge of the lifting stones are very hard to find in any book but they do exist.

There are also a number of traditional lifting stones in North Wales which are known as Garreg Orchest or Feat Stone and up until a few years ago none of them were known about.

Gaelic culture respected strength (hence the Fionn, Cochullin etc) so along with it goes lifting stones.

I hope this helps.

Peter

Advertisement