Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WRC - ERC - National Rallying 2015 News and chat thread

• 24-11-2014 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭

WRC News

So there has been a bit of news about drivers and teams for 2015 over the last few days so I think it's time for the 2015 thread.

Kris Meeke & Paul Naglekeep their Citroen seat for 2015
    mjhickeyie wrote: »
    irally saying Meeke confirmed with Citroen for 2015.
    h3000 wrote: »

Tanak takes over Mikko's seat.
    Robbo wrote: »
    Tanak confirmed at M-Sport, sooo...

VW: Ogier, Latvala, Mikkelsen
    Hyundai: Neuville, Sordo (calendar TBC)
    Hyundai 2: ???
    Ford: Evans, Tanak
    Citroen: Meeke, ???

Paddon's apparently been talking around and Kubica could be a fairly key player if he decides to stick around.

Seb Loeb will be in a DS3 WRC in Monte carlo too.
    WRC 2015
    A quick look at how the driver line up is looking so far. I'll update as more news is confirmed. Question marks below are not officially confirmed.

Constructor Car Team Driver Co-Driver Rounds
    Citroën DS3 WRC Citroën Abu Dhabi Total World Rally Team Kris Meeke Paul Nagle Full Season
    Citroën DS3 WRC Citroën Abu Dhabi Total World Rally Team ??? ??? Full Season
    Citroën DS3 WRC Citroën Abu Dhabi Total World Rally Team Khalid Al Qassimi ?? ??
    Citroën DS3 WRC Citroën Abu Dhabi Total World Rally Team Sebastien Loeb Daniel Elena 1
    Ford Fiesta RS WRC M-Sport World Rally Team Elfyn Evans Daniel Barrit Full Season
    Ford Fiesta RS WRC M-Sport World Rally Team Ott Tanak Raigo Mõlder Full Season
    Hyundai I20 WRC Hyundai Motorsport Thierry Neuville Nicolas Gilsoul Full Season
    Hyundai I20 WRC Hyundai Motorsport Dani Sordo Marc Marti ??
    Volkswagen Polo R WRC Volkswagen Motorsport Sebastien Ogier Julien Ingrassia Full Season
    Volkswagen Polo R WRC Volkswagen Motorsport Jari-Matti Latvala Miikka Anttila Full Season
    Volkswagen Polo R WRC Volkswagen Motorsport Andreas Mikkelsen Ola Fløene Full Season

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Nordicgael

2015 World Rally Championship calendar:

22-25 January Rallye Monte-Carlo
    12-15 February Rally Sweden
    05-08 March Rally Mexico
    23-26 April Rally Argentina
    21-24 May Rally Portugal
    11-14 June Rally Italy
    02-05 July Rally Poland
    30 July-02 August Rally Finland
    20-23 August Rally Germany
    10-13 September Rally Australia
    01-04 October Rally France
    22-25 October Rally Spain
    12-15 November Rally Great Britain

Thought it would be good to have a reminder of the calendar of 2015 near the start of the new thread- only 55 days till it all revs up again in monte carlo! :-)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Ostberg for the full season in the second Citroen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Ostberg for the full season in the second Citroen.
    WRC 2015
    A quick look at how the driver line up is looking so far. I'll update as more news is confirmed. Question marks below are not officially confirmed.

Citroën DS3 WRC Citroën Abu Dhabi Total World Rally Team Kris Meeke Paul Nagle Full Season
    Citroën DS3 WRC Citroën Abu Dhabi Total World Rally Team Mads Ostberg Jonas Andersson Full Season
    Citroën DS3 WRC Citroën Abu Dhabi Total World Rally Team Khalid Al Qassimi ?? ??
    Citroën DS3 WRC Citroën Abu Dhabi Total World Rally Team Sebastien Loeb Daniel Elena 1
    Ford Fiesta RS WRC M-Sport World Rally Team Elfyn Evans Daniel Barrit Full Season
    Volkswagen Polo R WRC Volkswagen Motorsport Sebastien Ogier Julien Ingrassia Full Season
    Volkswagen Polo R WRC Volkswagen Motorsport Jari-Matti Latvala Miikka Anttila Full Season
    Volkswagen Polo R WRC Volkswagen Motorsport Andreas Mikkelsen Ola Fløene Full Season

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

WRC 2015

Citroën DS3 WRC Citroën Abu Dhabi Total World Rally Team Mads Ostberg Jonas Andersson Full Season
    Paddon and Kubica are two who are talking around to see what they can come up with.

I'd hate to see Kubica lost as I think he has the potential for top 3 pace. For his lack of experience (21 WRC events) and where he is pace wise, there's plenty more to come from him in the right environment. Some of the commentary about him: "he shouldn't be out there if his arm isn't 100%" or "which stage will it be he goes out on this weekend?" are things that could have easily been levelled at the sainted McRae at various stages over his career. Not to draw comparisons between the two, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

I think only the team manager will know how many of Kubicas crashes are 'fixable'. McRea, Meeke and Latvala are/were all known for making silly mistakes that cost them, but once these problems are ironed out they can put in great times. The difference with Kubica is his arm is not 100%. So if the mistakes he makes are like those of the others then they are fixable. If he is crashing because things go wrong and he doesnt have the strength in his arm to rectify the situation then thats a different problem that cant really be fixed. But Id hate to see Kubica not be there. He has the backing so I dont doubt he wont be there,t he such a big attraction that the WRC needs him there.

Keith Cronin is also to contest the WRC2 this year in the R5 Citroen. I dont know how many rounds he will be doing though

Actor Idris Elba is reportedly hoping to compete in the Circuit of Ireland rally as part of his new extreme racing show for the Discovery Channel.
    He plans to be in Monte too..

Hopefully this will lead to an increase in attention for the COI and rallying in general. Anything that get Jimmy McRae on the TV is good too.

This, I did not expect. Solberg's maybe looking for a drive.

This, I did not expect. Solberg's maybe looking for a drive.

I'd love to see him back. Colin Clark is saying for a long time that Petter could be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mjhickeyie

Stephane Lefebvre will drive a DS3 wrc on two rounds next year as per WRC.Com.

So it looks like Loeb, Lefebvre and possibly Al-Qassimi will all use a third Citroen next year. Maybe an opportunity for Petter to also do some events.

• Advertisement

mjhickeyie wrote: »
    Stephane Lefebvre will drive a DS3 wrc on two rounds next year as per WRC.Com.

So it looks like Loeb, Lefebvre and possibly Al-Qassimi will all use a third Citroen next year. Maybe an opportunity for Petter to also do some events.
    Today's rumour is a Kubica/Solberg Citroen team, run by PH Sport with backing from the two lads usual sponsors and Pirelli.

Paddon to stay with Hyundai. He will do at least 9 rounds.
    http://www.crash.net/wrc/news/212597/1/hyundai-resigns-paddon-increases-role.html
    Hyundai I20 WRC Hyundai Motorsport Hayden Paddon John Kennard "at least 9 rounds"

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

looks like Kubica is sticking with Ford, for Monte at least

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117203

guyfo wrote: »
    looks like Kubica is sticking with Ford, for Monte at least

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117203
    They'll have Bouffier in for Monte as well.

Full ERC and WRC2 campaign for Breen in the Peugeot. If the reliability can be found in the car, he has the pace and experience to win both. The new Fabia R5s won't be homologated till mid-2015 so the opportunity is there to build up a gap early doors.

Full ERC and WRC2 campaign for Breen in the Peugeot. If the reliability can be found in the car, he has the pace and experience to win both. The new Fabia R5s won't be homologated till mid-2015 so the opportunity is there to build up a gap early doors.

Awesome news, I'm delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Looking forward to seeing how Breen and Cronin compare now that both are doing WRC2. Last time we had the chance to compare was 09 in the BRC.

I think Breen has progressed a lot since then, has more experience of the car and surely more of the events, but Cronins in the more reliable car and he hasnt forgot how to drive it. Will be the only reason to follow WRC for me this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

wobbles wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing how Breen and Cronin compare now that both are doing WRC2. Last time we had the chance to compare was 09 in the BRC.

I think Breen has progressed a lot since then, has more experience of the car and surely more of the events, but Cronins in the more reliable car and he hasnt forgot how to drive it. Will be the only reason to follow WRC for me this year

Not a Kris Meeke fan so I take it

Breen off on SS1 of Internationale Jännerrallye unfortunately, lost it on ice on a downhill right and stuck in the snow. Hopefully things will turn around for him soon.

A bit about Breen's off
    FIA ERC wrote:
    http://www.fiaerc.com/news/detail/id/6583

Craig Breen is determined to hit back from his early exit from round one of the 2015 FIA European Rally Championship in Austria this morning.

The ace Irishman was two kilometres from the finish of SS1, Pierbach, when his Peugeot Rally Academy 208 T16 slid off the road on a slow downhill left-hand corner and became stranded.

With the car stuck, Breen and co-driver Scott Martin were forced to retire from the Internationale Jännerrallye powered by GaGa Energy although they will restart under Rally 2 rules on Tuesday’s second leg when they will be in contention for bonus points.

“It was a 10kph accident,” said Breen. “I got it slowed down and was halfway round the corner but as I got back on the power I lost grip and the front of the car spun round. There was no damage but it was stuck on the sumpguard and we couldn’t move.”

Breen, who placed third in last year’s ERC standings, continued: “The stage was going really well and we were doing the best job we could with the grip we had. I was really enjoying the conditions, they were consistent and I felt under control.

“I’m gutted to go out on the first stage of the year but I’ve got to put it to the back of my mind and get on with it. The world won’t stop, the car’s not damaged and we’ll come back tomorrow.”

Breen and Martin are undertaking a nine-round ERC campaign in 2015.

http://www.fiaerc.com/news/detail/id/6583

• Advertisement

So Monte is just two weeks away today.

There are a few regulation changes for this year, the paddle shift gear change been one of the bigger ones.
    • Competitors who fail to contest a special stage without being able to show cause will receive a seven-minute time penalty.
    • The running order will be in championship order for the first two legs of the rally. On the last leg, P1 and P2 crews will run in reverse classification order.
    • The transmission of performance data or information to or from a competing car, not in relation with safety, is forbidden during special stages to help promote greater competition.
    • A car which has not started from the start line within 20 seconds will be considered as retired and will be able to restart under Rally 2 on the subsequent day
    • In the cockpit, the most obvious change will be the reintroduction of steering wheel-mounted gearshift paddles, a system that replaces the 2014-spec sequential stickshift.
    • Under the skin, manufacturers can take advantage of a new supply of homologation ‘jokers’, enabling them to make a limited number of mechanical changes to their homologated designs. There are changes too to the minimum weights of some components, allowing greater freedom to play with weight distribution and balance.

Looking forward to it starting again. Has anyone heard anything about TV coverage for 2015?

Hyundai to run three cars from Sweden onwards
    crash.net wrote:
    Hyundai Motorsport has confirmed it will enter three cars for Thierry Neuville, Dani Sordo and Hayden Paddon in all remaining rounds of the 2015 World Rally Championship from the second event in Sweden onwards.

http://www.crash.net/wrc/news/212879/1/hyundai-to-enter-three-cars-from-sweden-onwards.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Looking forward to it starting again. Has anyone heard anything about TV coverage for 2015?
    BT Sport have it again this year anyway

dcr22B wrote: »
    BT Sport have it again this year anyway

Oh cool. I hope they do a better job of it this year.

The 2015 WRC cars

322c2de7fce78fcac65c574ff1ca7268.jpg
    ebaba7ba602ab6da787d21cc3f4ed381.jpg
    d50937ab1e7f02d9d51c69ef5a415ab4.jpg
    17151f5a0224cc8ba9d4618a9ba0cc80.jpg

Be interesting to see if Kubica being on Pirellis can produce any unusual results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

As regards TV coverage, Motors Tv will have daily highlights.
    ITV4 will have hour long show on the Tuesday following the rally.

And the new VW

B7Y7t7gCEAA9-yB.jpg:large
    B7Y-nyKCUAUlzSr.jpg:large

• Advertisement

Be interesting to see if Kubica being on Pirellis can produce any unusual results.

It will indeed. Didn't one of the privateers run the Pirellis towards the end of last year? I can't remember who..

Advertisement