Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone getting calls from 0099999999 & 0013122638267 ?

Options
  • 30-10-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

Firstly, I hope I've chosen the right forum. :)

We're with UPC for phone and broadband and we're ex-directory.

Lately, we've been getting calls from both of the above numbers. (I've had one from each already this morning.)

If you answer the number, they just hang up.

UPC say that they can't block numbers and have told me to contact the office of consumer affairs. Well, if UPC won't block numbers, and the OcCA will not be able to identify the numbers any more than I can, what's the point?

A quick Google shows that we're not alone with receiving calls from these numbers.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yep. Getting a few calls from them.

I answer, say nothing, then just hang up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I wouldn't answer them and don't call them back either.

Often they are scams on premium rate lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AdsKen

Yeah i've been getting the same calls from same numbers and also from 0440, very strange, i don't bother answering them.

Happened to me on my mobile aswell a few months back, never answered and eventually they stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

and i keep getting these texts if anyone can shed light on it.no one i know by the way.

The person at +353<SNIP> has no credit and would like you to ring them. Mesg left at 2012-10-28 20:12.

i didn't call it as I'm thinking it leads to a premium number?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

We've had about four or five of these 00999 calls in the past 24 hours; pretty annoying. (Never had them before, though plenty of Indian PC support calls.)

Most of them were hang-ups but on one of them, a female caller started asking me about insurance or insurance claims. Hung up pretty smartish when I asked why, if they were a legitimate firm, was their caller ID showing up as a dodgy number.

I suspect they're targetting a particular class of resident (of which I am not one) and don't waste time on conversation if it's obvious whoever answers the phone doesn't fit the profile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

crazygeryy wrote: »
    and i keep getting these texts if anyone can shed light on it.no one i know by the way.

The person at +353<SNIP> has no credit and would like you to ring them. Mesg left at 2012-10-28 20:12.

This is from someone who might know you that wants to talk to you but has no credit to ring, most of the networks have these "call me" services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I made the mistake of picking up a call from the number 0099999999 yesterday evening. It was some Indian chap on the other end. They've been calling back twice an hour ever since. I've ignored them since yesterday but It's incredibly annoying.

fake edit: They called again while I was writing this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That is an Irish mobile number.

+353 = Ireland
    85 = Meteor(?)
    <SNIP> = Individual number

You should remove that number from the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bubbagump

getting at least 10 calls of these a day for the past few days is there anything we can do ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Call UPC and say its not good enough. If they dont do something then state that due to their service your privacy is being jeapordised. They should move a bit quicker. Let them know youve been on to Comreg too.

Might not work, but worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

UPC are apparently investigating a way of blocking the originator of those calls from their service. Apparently there's an anonymous caller reject function built in to the handset I have so hopefully that will be the end of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

xpletiv wrote: »
    Call UPC and say its not good enough.

The issue doesn't only effect UPC customers. I am getting the calls and don't have UPC for my phone service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

You can add 0017187838997 to the list.

That's three different numbers in 24 hours.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭razzler

We're with eircom and we're getting the 099999999 calls as well, 3 this morning and 2 in the last hour. For the last two I played the Indian national anthem (I'm assuming they're Indian) Jaya Hey down the line for them. Had it ready on Youtube, lovely song actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Tenshot wrote: »
    We've had about four or five of these 00999 calls in the past 24 hours; pretty annoying. (Never had them before, though plenty of Indian PC support calls.)

Most of them were hang-ups but on one of them, a female caller started asking me about insurance or insurance claims. Hung up pretty smartish when I asked why, if they were a legitimate firm, was their caller ID showing up as a dodgy number.

I suspect they're targetting a particular class of resident (of which I am not one) and don't waste time on conversation if it's obvious whoever answers the phone doesn't fit the profile.

Could they be targeting elderly people in the hope they may be easier to take advantage of?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

razzler wrote: »
    We're with eircom and we're getting the 099999999 calls as well, 3 this morning and 2 in the last hour. For the last two I played the Indian national anthem (I'm assuming they're Indian) Jaya Hey down the line for them. Had it ready on Youtube, lovely song actually.

Post of the day right there!

No call from such a number so far, but did have a voice message from a withheld number last night. When I went to listen to it it just gave a continuous beeping tone. (We're with UPC)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

My Mum who is elderly is getting lots of those calls too from all of those numbers mentioned. Comreg needs to do something about them. I was in the house and answered one. They say its about "the loan" you had and that you overpaid on PPI insurance. then they pretend to get a supervisor to come on and say yes you are due a refund and they can pay it back onto your credit card.

So they are after credit cards. I actually had a mouth organ beside the phone and blasted them out of it with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭razzler

Had another call just 20 mins ago. The guy mentioned BOI, AIB and Bank of Ulster and asked if I had a loan with them within last 5 years which has been fully paid. I said "who hasn't?" but it was 'Bank of Leinster' (all I could think of on the spur of the moment). He said he had clients with that bank and they claimed back 3000 'pounds' recently. He put me through to his supervisor. I asked where he was based and he said they're a London firm called AAC and they can help me but he couldn't tell me what AAC meant. Told him he had a nice accent, was he Indian? He said he couldn't give out that info. I played Jaya Hay to him anyway.

But I'm wondering why they call repeatedly, don't they take note of who realises thy're scammers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

razzler wrote: »
    Told him he had a nice accent, was he Indian? He said he couldn't give out that info. I played Jaya Hay to him anyway.

I played Jaya Hay to him anyway.....brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Anyone know where a +3585... Number originates from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Got the exact same, just deleted the message...

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

these gits called my mother's house 4 times today. they'll only speak if she answers. if i answer they just hang up. they want credit card details but they ain't getting any! :D

foggy_lad wrote: »
    This is from someone who might know you that wants to talk to you but has no credit to ring, most of the networks have these "call me" services.

don't you think i know that? i don't know anyone with that number it's the third time in a few weeks I've gotten it. it's obviously fake

Victor wrote: »

That is an Irish mobile number.

+353 = Ireland
    85 = Meteor(?)
    <SNIP> = Individual number

You should remove that number from the internet.

Jesus talk about stating the bloody obvious. read my other text and think before you post in future. im not the only one who has gotten that text.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Anyone know where a +3585... Number originates from?
    One of these areas of Finland.

Imatra
    Kotka
    Kouvola
    Lappeenranta

They are all along the Russian border, so it may not genuinely be originating in Finland.

http://countrycode.org/finland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

16 calls in the last 2 days and it's really pissing me off. Apparently it's with regard to a loan taken out in which PPI was overpaid and to which you are due a refund. They refer to *pounds* and that they are cleared by the *Ministry of Justice* .

I rang Eircom's nuisance calls section yesterday and the lady told me that they have been inundated with callers reporting this calls. Sweet F.A. they can do about it. They are calling through the internet and therefore Comreg have no control as it is from outside Ireland.

What worries me is they have my name and address ....if you query them or ask any questions, they hang up immediately.....

Total pain in the hoo hah.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Jesus talk about stating the bloody obvious. read my other text and think before you post in future. im not the only one who has gotten that text.

@crazygeryy - please stay civil to other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Sounds like the bank/related party is the victim of a hack. They have clearly gotten the info from these people about their loans, including numbers and addresses.

Mod; please dont remove this post. I study IS security and this sounds exactly like the information regarding loans has been stolen from either the Bank, Credit Agency, or something similar. Didnt someone important lose a laptop with personal info on it recently? Most likely sold on to these people.

Once we identify which country/area these calls are coming from, best bet is to call the local police in the area to follow up, as well as the Gardai here.

People are sick. But, once we identify which bank this is that has let our personal information leak into the public and clearly into the hands of criminals, class action lawsuit is a big possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

...But, once we identify which bank this is that has let our personal information leak into the public and clearly into the hands of criminals, class action lawsuit is a big possibility.

Class-action lawsuits do not exist in Irish Law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Sounds like the bank/related party is the victim of a hack. They have clearly gotten the info from these people about their loans, including numbers and addresses.

Mod; please dont remove this post. I work in IS security and this sounds exactly like the information regarding loans has been stolen from either the Bank, Credit Agency, or something similar. Didnt someone important lose a laptop with personal info on it recently? Most likely sold on to these people.

Once we identify which country/area these calls are coming from, best bet is to call the local police in the area to follow up, as well as the Gardai here.

People are sick. But, once we identify which bank this is that has let our personal information leak into the public and clearly into the hands of criminals, class action lawsuit is a big possibility.

Plus I didn't take out a loan.

I reckon it's just chancers calling on the off-chance that at least one of the people will be naive/gullible/and or greedy enough to go along with the promise of easy money. If they call enough people they might hit on one or two that might be willing to pursue it.

Advertisement