Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Wexford? I'm organising the pacers for that (well I'm meant to be I'm being lazy at the moment). :)
    Yeah thats the one. :) Missed it last year. Its a week before the Oly so a training run but its on my doorstep so why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hope all ok Oryx, life stuff trumps training every time.

Managed a little bit of training today, amidst the chaos. 10k run. Took it handy, 5.3min Kms average. I am tired from all the running around this last few days so a hard session was never on the cards. Am hoping to race Saturday too so got to bear that in mind. Lets see what tomorrow brings. Calm, I hope!

Short easy swim. 1600. A warm up for most of the sbr sharks. But am wasted from the last few days. Tomorrow will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

What race do you have tomorrow?

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    What race do you have tomorrow?
    This awful thing.

Some of the guys in the promo look pretty cute and jacked - now if only they show up! ;) Good luck tomorrow.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Some of the guys in the promo look pretty cute and jacked - now if only they show up! ;) Good luck tomorrow.
    Oh it draws a pretty 'jacked' crowd. I'll tell them you said hi. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Hope the ballbuster went well for you, Oryx!

It sure did. Ironman training rocks. :) Will report when I get to a pc. I think an Irish lad won it.

• Advertisement

See this? This is a grin. In spite of the week from hell, and in spite of being so tired yesterday I felt ill, I got up at 5am and presented myself at the top of box hill for this race. The weather was stinking. Heavy mist, damp roads, cold.

The devil inside my head kept telling me, sure start and you can quit after the first run.... So of I went with the rest thinking this is going to be 'orrible. And then a funny thing happened. I ignored the garmin and ran by feel. And it felt pretty good. Even the climb up box hill at the end of the lap was doable. 1.02 split.

I ignored the devil and got on the bike, thinking, it is what it is, who cares? Lap one was so-so, but I got to the infamous hill and surprised the hell out of myself. It didn't hurt and I didn't need all my gears. Wtf? Seems force sessions actually work. It went so well it put me in good form for the next two laps, which I matched on split times in spite of rain now pouring down making the downhills a nightmare, and having not one but two dogs run out in front of me nearly taking me down. Another good time (for me) of 1.37

I knew leaving t1 that if I kept pace this would be a hell of a good race for me. So I just went for it, I thought sod the hill, I'll deal with that pain when I get there. good solid run, similar to the first. The hill went better than expected, I didnt walk any of it, a big change from last time in November. A close split of 1.03, just 35 seconds slower than the first run. And I wasn't suffering, just plodding it out.

Total finish time of 3hr47 brought me in 9 and a half minute faster than the same race in November. Am happy as a pig in muck about it, as I dont feel wrecked, and nothing hurts. I am kind of stunned at the effect 12 weeks of structured base training has had. I shoulda been doing this years ago!

An added plus was finishing 2nd in my age cat, (and yes, there were more than two women in it:) )

Now, time for beer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭griffin100

Congrats, that's a great result. Think I'll be mimicking your bike training regime :)

Holy crap.....a grin? Really??? ;)

All I've got to say is....you did some serious ball busting today. 1:02...1:37.....1:03.....do you know how frickin' awesome those times are? You are a BEAST!!!! Congrats on your everything! So happy for you....and I, too, will drink a beer in your honor tonight! :D Woo hoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Good times Oryx and it looks like all the training is paying off.

You seem to do a few races in England, are you UK based or just travel over there to race a lot?

I travel because I like to. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Training paying off i see. Great race.

A 2.2k swim today to ease out the legs brought this week to a close. Didn't hit my target hours, but with the race thrown in I don't really mind. 9hr 20 mins in total out of a planned 11. This has been a confidence boosting week, and I'm going to try and hold that thought for as long as I can over the next phase of training!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Oryx wrote: »
    A 2.2k swim today to ease out the legs brought this week to a close. Didn't hit my target hours, but with the race thrown in I don't really mind. 9hr 20 mins in total out of a planned 11. This has been a confidence boosting week, and I'm going to try and hold that thought for as long as I can over the next phase of training!

You didnt hit your target hours as you raced too fast and were finished too quickly. Great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Great result this weekend Oryx, well done! Very impressive fitness gains :)

Yesterday was a travel-and-put-the-bike-back-together day. So no training. Wanted to get to kbs, but my kids needed me more.

Turbo this morning, and I need a new chain on my bike. Rattles and catches like a beeatch, in spite of oiling, I noticed it first last week. About 4k on it, Ive no idea if thats normal usage for one to wear out. Otherwise the turbo was only ok. An unstructured set, and I found it hard to push into the suffer zone. 50 mins.

Someone wiped all my sbr info off the chart, so Ive guessed it till I go look it up. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭griffin100

About 4k on it, Ive no idea if thats normal usage for one to wear out.

Your chain wore out long ago ;) You may also need a new rear cassette. Your LBS can do a quick check on the chain with a chain wear tool and tell you straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Someone wiped all my sbr info off the chart, so Ive guessed it till I go look it up. :)

I checked the history.

Prior to deletion you were at:

Swim 52.65
    Bike 900.20
    Run 261.70

Your details were deleted by an anonymous user.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Your chain wore out long ago ;) You may also need a new rear cassette. Your LBS can do a quick check on the chain with a chain wear tool and tell you straight away.
    I got a new cassette mid way through last year, so I hope I dont need to shell out for another.

Cheers.

Club swim last night. Very low on distance because the coach did a lot of talking. :) I didn't feel tired but I actually am because I couldn't hold pace and kept burning out on sprints.

Short run this morning as I got up too late to do a proper turbo.

Turbo set. Force session. 3 mins per gear goin up, 2 mins on the way back down. My legs are still tired and this set hurt. I certainly entered the pain cave this morning. Even my arms were shaking when I was done, tho I kept the hr at around 140. My biggest issue right now is cadence. The tiredness is showing in my lack of spin!

2w671hs.jpg

Cycling: I think I can see where I'm going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Cycling: I think I can see where I'm going wrong.

Ah, you wouldn't want to be getting it dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

How do you find that big water thingy you have, I haven't seen one of them before, I presume they are outrageously priced?

Ah, you wouldn't want to be getting it dirty.
    I'm a triathlete. We don't DO dirty. :p

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    How do you find that big water thingy you have, I haven't seen one of them before, I presume they are outrageously priced?
    There is a reason I have that.... Im such a crap cyclist. :o

It works really well, holds just a bit more than a large water bottle, and If I wasnt a crap cyclist I could fill it on the fly if needed.

Yes it was stupidly expensive for a piece of plastic.

Advertisement