Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ATC recruitment with IAA

• 09-07-2008 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi everyone!

I am an active ATCO working outside Ireland. I have applied for the position with IAA. I have received a letter that my application has been shortlisted and now I am waiting for a preliminary interview. Just wanted to discuss it. Is there anyone else like me?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 qnhhpa

What would you like to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ATCO

I would like to know what are the chances for my interview to be successful and how to prepare for it. What are the next steps of application for experienced controllers (on the website indicated only for students), the working conditions etc. It would be good to listen to those who had previously passed the application process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

ATCO, best of luck with it, and you have a PM:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Best of luck ATCO ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. Will tell the results of my interview

Today I had the interview by phone. They clarified all aspects of my job experience, and I have asked some questions on the recruitment process. We all have clarified everything and they told me that they will be in contact in a couple of weeks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 qnhhpa

Best of luck. If you want any more information just ask.

Yahoooooo!!!!!!!!!!! I got the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They sent me the letter of appointment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Congrats ATCO!Any idea where you are going to be posted yet?Where were you based originally?

• Advertisement

bobmeaney wrote: »
    Congrats ATCO!Any idea where you are going to be posted yet?Where were you based originally?

Shannon ACC:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 celticlunatic

hi, applying for positon as radio officer with iaa, any information or advice on the recruitment process, how difficult is it to pass interviews,what am i likely to be tested on and does anyone have info on what way the shift rotation works, also what are is the salary like once you qualify? any information greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

hi, applying for positon as radio officer with iaa, any information or advice on the recruitment process, how difficult is it to pass interviews,what am i likely to be tested on and does anyone have info on what way the shift rotation works, also what are is the salary like once you qualify? any information greatly appreciated, thanks!

ya id like to know aswell! plus what are an aeronautical radio officer main duties etc?

There was a fairly extensive thread a while back regarding all aspects of Air Traffic Control e.g. recruitment,work conditions.

You can read all about it here.

Best of luck!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

Excuse my ignorance but is Aeronautical Radio Officer much removed from ATCO? I've read the job spec.

Im pretty sure its the same job,but titled differently.Im open to correction on this of course!

edit: just read it more in depth. The jobs being advertised currently on the IAA website are for positions at ballygireen, which has a communications station out of which shanwick is partially based. These (along with the operations centre in prestwick) control the eastern part of the atlantic, and manage aircraft flying from this side to the states. They, along with gander in canada, are responsible for the daily establishment of the north atlantic tracks, which all aircraft must follow when crossing the ocean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 irishatco

Jesus1222 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but is Aeronautical Radio Officer much removed from ATCO? I've read the job spec.

Put quite simply, Radio Officers do not control, they relay control messages from Prestwick to aircraft in Oceanic Airspace.

I've posted a couple of links here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58413707&postcount=292

If you're interested and apply, make sure you visit Ballygireen to get a feel for the job and talk to current Officers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

I've applied for this I should study for the aptitude test. Any advice welcome. Is there a particular brand of test they use?

Can you actually visit? I presume you have to ring ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Yeah it would be beast to ring ahead, but I'm sure they would make an exception for Jesus!lol Ah but seriously, I've been down to Shannon Centre and the Tower in Shannon and Galway airports and they're always very friendly and nice to me, but saying that I was asked about 5 times on the phone if I was in the Student Controller Programme so the procedure may be different if you're in that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

what's the test like so? for radio officers i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭iceax

Hello ATCO ,

I have just applied for the new positions that are comming on stream jan 2009,
    Got a few IQ question books to shake the old mind, ha ha
    Would / Could you suggest any more i can do / read etc
    Kind regards
    iceax

iceax wrote: »
    Hello ATCO ,

I have just applied for the new positions that are comming on stream jan 2009,
    Got a few IQ question books to shake the old mind, ha ha
    Would / Could you suggest any more i can do / read etc
    Kind regards
    iceax

I might not be following you, what positions are you referring to?

And it is many years since I last completed an aptitude test, so I'm not sure I can help you with suggestions.

any hints though? something like an iq test?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I'd imagine working on spacial awareness would be wise, as this is a central part of an ATCO position.

electron wrote: »
    any hints though? something like an iq test?

I can't offer you anything more than the IAA have published on it's website:

http://www.iaa.ie/files/2009/docs/RecruitmentProcessNote11122008.doc

That document mentions:

Numerical aptitude
    Verbal aptitude
    Non-verbal aptitude

how were you tested yourself, irishatco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kpg22

Hi all

Just wondering of anyone who has applied for Aeronautical Radio Officer has heared anything yet from IAA? I have applied myself but haven't heared anything from them except for an email saying they reieved my application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 EI573

I'm surprised at how many people seem to have applied for this position but have absolutely no idea what a radio officer actually does!

Information and job description were provided along with the IAA application form..

The aptitude test is standard, but not something that can be studied for.

This is not an ATC position, it is a totally different job. Some ATC positions should be available again in the not-too-distant future. I'd predict a couple of months.

The Aer Radio facility (where you've applied for a job....) is not permitting visitors at this time. A tour of the facility will be provided during the recruitment process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JonnyK

Hi all,

I'm glad there seems to be some uncertainty about the position as I have applied too but don't know too much about it. I contacted the IAA about sample aptitude tests but none are provided. Presumably numerical tests will feature significantly as they say maths is important. I have also heard nothing back except an acknowledgment of my application.

Does anyone - possibly who has worked or works in the IAA - have any tips about the aptitude test?

Advertisement