Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi Internet Radio - 16th Aug

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Hi

I bought one of these today and it seems to work fine.

However I can only get the media player to work if I de-activate my AVG firewall.

Would anyone know what I need to change in AVG to allow this device to work with firewall activated?

Thanks in advance.

Max

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

The easiest way is to set the firewall to alert you when it blocks a connection and then simply authorise the application(s) which start popping up when you run the local software & save as permanent rule. Covered in detail (for a different program) here:
    http://www.incrediblecharts.com/help_troubleshooting/ic_avg_firewall.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

All sold out

Can anyone recommend something similar from Komplett/eBay etc ?

Dont like the sound of the mono only Logik - anything similar to the Aldi out there ? Liked that it had FM also

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bald? er, dash!

Am looking for a solution for my garage, and preferrably with built-in speaker (the Roku's require an external receiver/powered speakers). For anyone who's bought the Aldi jobby, what music server software is required for the unit to playback files stored on a pc. I have three Roku Soundbridges in the house at the moment which are served by Firefly (mt-daapd) on an Unslung NSLU2 and would prefer to stick with one server if possible.

The lack of ethernet on the Aldi model is a drawback... streaming high bitrate (>320kbps) mp3 over wifi can be trying at times...

Any other alternatives?????

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dojo

This is a great machine, the Reciva system and price encouraged me to buy it, but the wifi signal is brutal!

If i go more than 6 foot away from the wifi router the stations stop playing, so I had a look inside there's a wlan usb stick (no cover) sitting there sandwiched between two plated PCBs.

So I ran a USB extension lead out of the usb socket and put the stick into the other end and got better results but only another 10 foot away. I've tried this with two different wlan routers and got similar results.

So it's back to the shop for this one, I could put a USB to Ethernet adapter on it, but going wired kinda defeats the work of Marconi and all the other wireless enthusiasts.

My mate has one and is not having the same problems, so I'd say it's defective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 dojo

This is a great machine, the Reciva system and price encouraged me to buy it, but the wifi signal is brutal!

If i go more than 6 foot away from the wifi router the stations stop playing, so I had a look inside there's a wlan usb stick (no cover) sitting there sandwiched between two plated PCBs.

So I ran a USB extension lead out of the usb socket and put the stick into the other end and got better results but only another 10 foot away. I've tried this with two different wlan routers and got similar results.

So it's back to the shop for this one, I could put a USB to Ethernet adapter on it, but going wired kinda defeats the work of Marconi and all the other wireless enthusiasts.

My mate has one and is not having the same problems, so I'd say it's defective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

I have a Linksys router in the attic of a bungalow. The radio happens to be in a room under it. Maybe 15ft away from it currently and it works fine. When I get a chance I will try radio on other side of house and report back.

I have connected the headphone socket of the radio to the aux input of a mini hifi and the sound is very good.

Someone asked about what file server it uses. I only briefly tried it. It will pick up shares on other pc's on your network. I had one album that was legally downloaded but it didn't seem to like that - possibly DRM issue. There was MS Windows music files on another share and it played them no bother. It also uses Windows Media Player 11 to act as a UPnP server - I suspect the downloaded album should work on this - hadn't time to try this out yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

The nokia 770 internet tablet is much better than this, wireless range is great and you have a proper interface to listen to whatever streams you want.

Its instant on and about the same price, plug it into your Hi-Fi :)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

craichoe wrote:
    The nokia 770 internet tablet is much better than this, wireless range is great and you have a proper interface to listen to whatever streams you want.

Its instant on and about the same price, plug it into your Hi-Fi :)
    The 770 doesn't support windows streaming media, which unfortunately quite a lot of stations use. I can't listen to todayfm on mine for example (I think newstalk is also a no-go).

Hmmmm, Nokia 770 doesn't have built in speaker or ethernet AFAIK... nice looking device though, also not sure about the proprietary software

• Advertisement

Hmmmm, Nokia 770 doesn't have built in speaker or ethernet AFAIK... nice looking device though, also not sure about the proprietary software
    It does have a speaker but not ethernet. In my opinion it would not be suitable for use as a dedicated wireless internet radio (although I sometimes use it for this purpose).

Ok, was talking about a proper speaker which could be heard from, say 10 - 15 ft, not a little built in micro speaker....

Ok, was talking about a proper speaker which could be heard from, say 10 - 15 ft, not a little built in micro speaker....
    The sound from it is not actually that bad, but as I said it's not suitable for use as a dedicated wireless internet radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Shared my windows media player music library tonight and the radio picked it up fine. It looks like DRM protection is an issue but cd's I own, which I ripped to hard disc, play fine. One can browse by artist, album etc. Excellent. Bit rate was 128kbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Anybody got any feedback on this? I bought one and at first it seemed to work perfectly but now it drops stations after a few seconds (mostly on BBC if that's relevant) but works OK on others. Very impressive when it is working but this drop off is a pain in the ar*e. I'm just wondering if this is a problem with BBC or is the unit faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

bmaxi wrote:
    Anybody got any feedback on this? I bought one and at first it seemed to work perfectly but now it drops stations after a few seconds (mostly on BBC if that's relevant) but works OK on others. Very impressive when it is working but this drop off is a pain in the ar*e. I'm just wondering if this is a problem with BBC or is the unit faulty.
    I got one but I haven't used it very much. Today I could get it to play BBC Radio 4 "live" but not "on demand". I don't know if thats much help. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

I got one but brought it back last Sunday for a refund as it only picked up a strong enough signal in the same room as the router, no real point in that case, pity because I thought the radio was gonna be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

dal wrote:
    The sound from it is not actually that bad, but as I said it's not suitable for use as a dedicated wireless internet radio.

Oh .. What i meant is i already have a small Sony micro hi-fi and just plug the Nokia into that. :)

WMV streams can be played with mplayer no problem. On top of that you can browse a streaming radio site such as shoutcast.com with no problems :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Albert09

I bought a OXXdigital internet radio from Aldi but could not play the user guide as it was on a mini-disc which my MacBook will not accept. Happily after a struggle I found the guide on www.oxxdigital.com and could down-load and print pages out. The radio:) works fine but the drawbacks are that connecting can take 3/5 minutes at times; though not always. There are only 4 storage buttons for station selection. Also there is a 15-20 second delay compared with aerial transmission so time checks are not more accurate than this. )http://static.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

ZOMBIE THREAD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Thread-Crap-Wont_Die.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Is it Aug 16th 2007 yet :confused:

Didn't know what I was reading on the 1st 2 pages until I noticed the date.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement