Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trust worthy mechanic ?

Options
  • 19-01-2015 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi there, i got my car serviced . It passed it's nct in June but I needed the oil changed so got a full service. They mechanic came back with a list of stuff that he recommends that needs fixed. I do not trust him. I think he's taking me for a ride.

Does anyone know of a mechanic that is trustworthy in Dublin 15?

I don't want to name the garage here as they might be ok.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I've found Philip Walsh (Scribblestown) to be good & a nice guy to deal with, but there are plenty of other mechanics recommended on threads on this forum already.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've always been very happy with the guys in Coolmine Motors and would have absolutely no doubts about their trustworthiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...The mechanic came back with a list of stuff that he recommends that needs fixed. I do not trust him. I think he's taking me for a ride...

If he was talking you for a ride he would done some of the work and try to charge you afterwards. Recommending stuff is a good route. Then its people own choice to ignore the mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

Hi all

Quick update. I took my car to Philip Walsh (Scribblestown).
    He fixed my drive shaft problem €25 cheaper than the other place quoted.
    Replaced my typres with hancocks, €85 each. Also put them on the front and moved my one good front tyre to the back.
    Told me that there is wear on the back bushes but the didn't need replaced. The front were also fine.

Happy I got a second opinion from the guy that looked at my car.
    In the other place I didn't speak to the mechanic. I spoke with the manager. Didn't like that. Managers push sales !

Thanks for the recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I have been to every garage in blanch and i dont trust any of them as far as i can throw them including coolmine motors. i really wish i had a mate who was a mechanic because imo they are all out for a fast buck. it drives me insane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

I used to go to a guy down by the hospital by the name of Aidan English, he's a good honest mechanic, I don't know if he's still in business though. Otherwise, I've had a pretty mixed response to local mechanics, I tend to go further afield for trusted service. I know its not D15 but I highly recommend Paul Nolan in Clonshaugh (no vested interest), see www.nolanscars.ie , I've used a lot of mechanics over the years and Paul is by far the best I've come across in terms of trust, service and quality of work. For BMW independent service, I use a guy called Valdas (search the web for Motor Confidence) off the the Naas Road, he used to be based in Rosemount but moved a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I go to Aidan English always. highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

George in Lohunda is great. I can't remember his surname but his house has a breakdown truck parked outside. He's very honest and helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭lmmoonbeam1976

Ollie Kelly in Coolmine is brilliant man and he has done a lot of work for me and family

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Larsso30

oconnor cars out in kilshane cross.

looking after my car for years and gone out on his own now, great work and honest most importantly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement