Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Numb hand

• 11-08-2014 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,232 ✭✭✭✭

I have been cycling fairly regularly all summer. On long rides my left hand goes numb even though I would move my hands around a fair bit on the drop handlebars. Anyone else have this problem? what could I do to rectify it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

fits wrote: »
    I have been cycling fairly regularly all summer. On long rides my left hand goes numb even though I would move my hands around a fair bit on the drop handlebars. Anyone else have this problem? what could I do to rectify it?

Been suffering with this lately. Thought it may have been wedding ring but cycling without it resulted in same numbness. Wore my sealskins gloves last night and it didn't happen so the extra cushion from them seems to have helped.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Two pairs of gloves? Thicker bar tape. Move the brake hoods higher

• Registered Users Posts: 13,232 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just moved the brake hoods recently. Just rose the stem slightly as well. Always wear padded gloves. It happens on the hybrid with bar ends too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

When you're on the hoods is your wrist in a neutral position, I.e. not bent?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Borderfox wrote: »
    Two pairs of gloves? Thicker bar tape. Move the brake hoods higher

Moving the break hoods higher could make it worse, increasing the bend in the wrist.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Probably not in a neutral position. They would be bent I would say. The wrists would be weak enough too.

fits wrote: »
    Probably not in a neutral position. They would be bent I would say. The wrists would be weak enough too.

The most ergonomic position for your wrist is neutral. I'd look at your bike fit.

they/them/theirs

Just tweaked the bike fit this weekend! And it happens on the hybrid bike also. I'll see if I can control the position a bit more on next long ride and try to control it. Its probably some nerve issue or something like that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Possibly a particular nerve that I dare not mention if its the middle and ring finger. go to a Physio, they'll show you a few simple exercises to help it because can be something in the arm and neck too. Leave it unchecked too long and it can get serious.

Had it earlier in the summer, (fortunately I know a physio who told me a few things to keep it in check)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I get numbness in my left hand if I cycle my hybrid for anymore than 20 mins (I rarely use the hybrid). On my road bike I sometimes get a slight tingle in my left hand that cues me to change bar position and it disappears within minutes.

I've issues (foraminal stenosis/radiculopathy) with my cervical spine that can affect my right arm (tingling pins and needles sensation) but it appears that cycling has eliminated this for now. Another excuse to clock up kms :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

There are many causes of hand numbness from cycling, it could be equipment, gloves, or physical, anywhere from back, neck, elbow, all the way to individual fingers, ie wedding ring comment above.
    Go to a sports physio and get a correct diagnosis.

Advertisement