Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Pink Run

• 08-08-2013 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all,

Great Pink Run takes place on the 31st of August at 10am. New location at the furze road in Phoenix Park.

5k and 10k options. Detail at www.greatpinkrun.ie

Special feature this year for those who fancy running sub 40 mins for the 10k: Sonia O Sullivan is looking for takers to form a group to run sub 40 with her. Check out her weekly blog in the lead up to the event www.ten40withsonia.livejournal.com

Hope to see some of you there....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Hey,

Looking forward to it myself, if not a bit nervous. Only training the last week :/ Does the route have many hills, did the half in the Phoenix a few years back and remember miles 7 to 11 were a killer with hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Danniboo wrote: »
    Hey,

Looking forward to it myself, if not a bit nervous. Only training the last week :/ Does the route have many hills, did the half in the Phoenix a few years back and remember miles 7 to 11 were a killer with hills.

The route is on the Great Pink Run website - I see that it's a 2 lap race that brings you from Chesterfield Avenue down towards the Knockmaroon gate. I run there fairly regularly and there's one fairly tough hill as you come out of the Lower Glen; other than that it's reasonably flat. You're never going to get a perfectly flat race in the Park, but this isn't too bad!

Love the idea of running with Sonia for a sub-40 but away that weekend. Gutted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

It's the same course as Aware, Operation Transformation and others. The only steep bit on the lap is the climb out of the Furry Glen, apart from that the finishing straight seems to go on forever :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ezikel

Sonia has just written her second blog in the lead up to the GPR. Some interesting tips in there as she details what training sessions she is doing..

Many people up for the running group with her on the day?

www.ten40withSonia.livejournal.com

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sub3wannabe

I am anyway. I'm a marathon runner generally and have only done a handful of shorter distance races. But as I'm going for a sub 3 marathon in October I had better be able to achieve sub 40 over 10k by all known benchmarks!

The novelty of running alongside a legend like Sonia is great. Will she have a clear marker like the ballons that the pacers in marathons have I wonder? I'm sure there's likely to be a scrum to get close to her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

"Scrum" will I imagine be an understatement. Sure you know what most of the bigger races are like with hundreds lining up in the wrong wave etc....even without anyone famous taking part!! I'm not around for this one, but even so sub-40 is a bit beyond me at the minute anyway...best of luck.

Best of luck everyone, getting excited, even though not as prepared as i'd like :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 pico84

Wonder did the Frank Duffy crowd pick out the pink t-shirts with this in mind?

I hope Sonia will be visible at the start line. Want to tuck in beside her and get this sub 40!

I'd say she's going to be mobbed

• Advertisement

Danniboo wrote: »
    I'd say she's going to be mobbed

And without trying to come across as condescending, by birds who realisticly will be lucky to break an hour:mad:

It's not condescending, just sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 pad-cam

Advertisement