Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the point of pre ordering digital games ?

• 22-05-2012 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

i seen Psn having now a pre order for digital games and i cant understand why .
    i thought pre orders were so you can place money for someone to hold onto your copy but this is digital so its not like its going anywhere . can someone explain this to me please, there must be something im not getting here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You normally get extras - I believe Steam gave you Max Payne 1 and 2 free when you pre-order Max Payne 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Same as how Steam do it.

You can pre-install it onto your console or PC so that the moment the game is officially released you can play it straight away without having to wait for it to download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

chrislad wrote: »
    You normally get extras - I believe Steam gave you Max Payne 1 and 2 free when you pre-order Max Payne 3.

i seen that on steam but from games on psn arent offering anything extra from what i see

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A lot of services let you preload as well. You can download most of the game a week or two before launch so you have a smaller download on launch day to activate the game. Not sure what PSN are giving as an incentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I believe it's not so much pre order but more pre download. As we know it can take a while to download a retail game so this way they are allowing you to download it before release, then on release day they will give you the unlock code to play it. Kinda like a preinstall steam game

At least that's what I heard on a podcast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A lot of services let you preload as well. You can download most of the game a week or two before launch so you have a smaller download on launch day to activate the game. Not sure what PSN are giving as an incentive.

PSN have a lighter-wallet feature. It's where they charge you more than retail and you also have to wait ages for it to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,468 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya, paying 69.99 for a new game on PSN which takes ages to download and doesn't come with a box, manual, any goodies, etc. is f*cking ridiculous. It's like they don't want digital sales to take off or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Retr0gamer wrote: »

And it's less strain on the distribution servers on the day the game is released/unlocked. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Polar101

At least on the PC you often get 10% off or something like that if you pre-order. And a cheap-o DLC extra maybe.

If you get nothing, then I don't really see a point in pre-oreding..

Advertisement