Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

never noticed this board... deadly!

• 08-12-2003 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

mad buzz a hip hop board! does this cover hip hop or all urban music ,rnb dancehall drum and bass uk garage etc...? just the music or the whole culture? breakin graffiti scratchin and mcing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I suppose i really should do up a charter....
    Drum&Bass / Uk garage in my opinion belong in the dance/electronica forum, RnB is a definition i have major problems with, weren't the rolling stones called an RnB band? But taking the MTV definition yeah, its in line with the general ethos of the place.
    Music/Culture whatever you want to talk about work away, Hip-hop is inherently self referential so the style and culture are essential if you're gonna talk about the music.
    As for Graffiti, just dont come in saying "check out my mad skillz @ blah blah blah" as i don't think the boards.ie overlords like people dicussing their illegal activities. Keep it general and you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think some of the British stuff isn't clear whether its Rap or garage, plus most people into d&b and ukg are more into hiphop than dance... I think it should be allowed oh and i wanna show summa mah mad skillz..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Ooooh UK beat - The streets. Sorry just felt the urge to say that....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

i think drum and bass is way closer to hip hop than it is to something like techno or hard house or whatever; my idea of it was always that it was a hybrid child of reggae hip hop and hardcore, moulded into a form that could really go to town experimenting, and could be dancefloor music at the same time, in a radically different way from its parents... hip hop and drum and bass are about telling stories and a good hip hop mc mc an articulate guide to where s/he is from than drumand bass has exactly the same thing going on too... its a culture and not just some repetitive ****e with a maddoutttavit kickdrum... its street music not some druggy we're all happy now crap.

admittedly lyrical content in drum and bass mcing is not really at the level of your average hip hop mc [ broadband cru check www.breakbeat.co.uk for the streaming live sets] but at the end of the day jungle mcing is more about creating a vibe than about expressing anything complex [although conrad and drs and if you catch him on a good night irelands own wuzza are all pretty deep voices] and as such is basically a pure descendant of its roots in jamaican dancehall in the 70's... and when dj kool herc a jamaican immigrant in new york in the early 80's figured out how to play the break off one record followed by the same drum break off another copy of the same record and invented turntablism and hip hop at the same time the mc was very probably doing much the same... talking over the tunes, bigging up hs mates and the dj who back then would have been star attraction... the early hip hop crews evolved along the same lines as the reggae soundsytems had done in kingston in the 60's and seventies and just as the soundsytems in brixton and hackney did in the eighties and nineties.

in other words drum and bass really doesnt belong on a forum full of lisa lashes fans, mind you i just wanted to see what the "average" hip hop fans perceptions were of how the two musics were related...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I watched jungle/drun'n'bass come directly out of hardcore/breakbeat techno in the early mid 90's. So I personally still associate it more with dance music,
    other words drum and bass really doesnt belong on a forum full of lisa lashes fans

The dance/electronica title covers a lot more than bullshit house, and drum&bass to me covers a lot more than junglist MC's but YMMV.
    If you want to talk about it here, it doesnt bother me, there's a serious blurring of the genres in the UK anyway, and i despise the pigeonholing of music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

yeah musical pigeonholing for no apparent reason sucks but at the same time it is there for a reason.... i dunno, theres a big kerfuffle over on www.irishdrumandbass.com on their hip hop, breaks, downtempo board about "broken beat" [uk garage with glasses and college degrees in music] right now, but it seems that theres musical pigeonholing inside genres for purposes of criticism and comparison which is fair enough, and musical pigeonholing which creates barriers around music... which isnt.

Advertisement