Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The best SIM Only deals [Updated regularly][Work in progess]

• 14-03-2014 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭

We're all looking for a bargain on our phone's price plan, right?

With all the various networks and their websites, confusing 'limits' and charges, and with the helpful, but badly organised CallCosts.ie,
    there's a real need for clarity and simple, straightforward information.

Please welcome, the Irish SIM Only Mobile Offers spreadsheet.

http://smarturl.it/BoardsMobileDeals
    (This link is masked in able to track visitor hits, nothing else)

---
    What is it?

Following the success of the 'Best SIM Only Deals' spreadsheet that features the UK operators,
    kindly put together by a member of Hot UK Deals, there was a need for a clear,
    transparent, and easy to use Irish version.

This guide, which is a work in progress, offers a quick glance at some of Ireland's biggest networks.

Who is included in this guide?

- Three
    - O2
    - Meteor
    - - Vodafone
    - Tesco Mobile
    - Lycamobile
    - eMobile
    - Blueface

Who isn't included in this guide?

- Postfone - Postfone do not have SIM only plans

These will be added in the coming weeks.

Eh, where's the 'best offer' bit? Isn't that the point?

Good on you, Sherlock. You've spotted something that is very important!
    As it is a work in progress, the 'best offer' will be added shortly. I'm considering offering a highlighted 'good offer' and a 'best offer', similar to the UK version. The 'good offer' would be the cheapest, but a reasonable plan. The 'best offer' would be the offer which gives you the most bang for the most reasonable buck.

Does it include any tariffs which come with a phone/tablet?

There is no inclusion of any contract plans with mobile devices, as there are far too many special offers, complicated tariffs and other information that would make it too difficult to include. Also, since there are upgrade and loyalty offers, customer discounts, and in-store specials, this would be too problematic to include. If you're looking for a good deal with a phone, pop to the Carphone Warehouse, as they'll be able to give you a better indication of what offers are available.

Are there any affiliate links or other charges for using the guide?

Nope. That would be sneaky and mean. There is no charge for using the guide.

However, if you've changed plan, or you've found a better deal and have saved money, consider engaging in a random act of kindness, or maybe throw a few quid to a charity of your choice. If you want to show your appreciation to me, just throw me a 'thanks' on the thread. If you want to do none of these things, that's fine too! The guide is released under a Creative Commons license, so it is for the benefit of the community!

I don't want to click your dodgy looking link. What can I do?

The short url is only created so that I can track how many visitors are using the guide. It is purely for analytical reasons and nothing else. I'm not selling, sharing, or using the data for any reason, and it doesn't change the outcome of the guide whatsoever.

The guide is on a publicly visible Google Spreadsheet, hosted on Google Drive.
    If you really want to visit the link without telling me that you've done so (you big meanie!), you can visit the link by clicking below. Just highlight it with your cursor and go!

Hey, you big eejit! I found an error!

Whoops. I'm sorry to hear that. Just post a reply in this thread, or send me a PM and I'll get on it as soon as I can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Hey thanks!

The TescoMobile 12 Month SIM onlys can be added easily.
    €10.00per month 150 any network minutes 150 any network texts 500MB monthly data
    €20.00per month 300 any network minutes 10000 any network texts 1GB monthly data
    €30.00per month 10000 any network minutes 10000 any network texts 15GB monthly data

• Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Thanks, that was an ommission. It was on my draft, so I'll get on that shortly. Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

With the Three sim only Classic Flex Max tarriff, you can use up to 50% of your units to make calls to UK.

Update: 18 March 2014

Recently added: 48, eMobile, and Blueface.

Recently updated: Tesco Mobile (+ 12 month sim only plans)

Other updates: Information why Blueface business plans are included, and other network's aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 userone123

Why have you a FUP of 15GB on Three when there is no FUP? Also you can no longer use 50% of your units to call the UK, you now need an add on.

• Advertisement

userone123 wrote: »
    Why have you a fun of 15GB on Three when there is no FUP? Also you can no longer use 50% of your units to call the UK, you now need an add on.

Three do have a fair usage policy, which you can read below.

Three continuously monitors network performance to ensure that the service received by customers is not impacted through a minority of users placing high demand on network resources (e.g. large bandwidths over long periods). Should your data usage exceed 15GB in a 30 day period and your usage affect other network users, we reserve the right to limit your Service.

Also, customers on grandfathered plans (and some offers) may still use their units.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 userone123

'Granfathered ' plans as you like to call them got 2GB not 15GB. The 15GB figure is in place to stop abuse. If you go over 15GB you won't get charged nor cut off (they'll probably do nothing), thus no fair usage policy. In fact my My3 account shows over 2000GB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

userone123 wrote: »
    'Granfathered ' plans as you like to call them got 2GB not 15GB. The 15GB figure is in place to stop abuse. If you go over 15GB you won't get charged nor cut off (they'll probably do nothing), thus no fair usage policy. In fact my My3 account shows over 2000GB

You're data speed gets throttled back to almost unusable when you go over 15GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

hallo dare wrote: »
    You're data speed gets throttled back to almost unusable when you go over 15GB.

I've used about 19gb this month and my speeds are still fine. Maybe they throttle you if your always at it but it doesn't seem to be automatic once you hit 15gb

Yes, that is the case. However, there is a policy in place should you go over limits and they think that you are acting the eejit. They have the right to slow down or limit your service if it is affecting other customers. It doesn't mean that it is necessarily enacted, but it is there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Just an FYI
    The Micro SIM Only and Maxi SIM Only are not 4G. Only the Mega SIM Only plan is 4G.

Many thanks for information. I'll update that shortly. It may take a few hours to reflect the changes.

Update: Done - thanks again to Dudda

Blueface have a Special Offer going till 31st March.

The Ireland Unlimited plan is €19.50 + vat @ 23%

The Ireland & UK Unlimited plan is €23.50 + vat @ 23%.

You must sign up by 31st March 2014.

Great minds think alike, Kristopherus: I was only looking at that and I was chatting to staff to get more information about it before I added it to the spreadsheet. I need to confirm that it is, in fact, a mobile (with a standard 08 prefix) rather than a VOIP offering. It seems to be the case.

Not only am I a Blueface customer, who received the email, but I am someone who is looking at moving to it. :)

Update - Done - thanks again to Kristopherus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Blueface have a Special Offer going till 31st March.

The Ireland Unlimited plan is €19.50 + vat @ 23%

The Ireland & UK Unlimited plan is €23.50 + vat @ 23%.

You must sign up by 31st March 2014.

I cannot find this offer on the Blueface website, would you have a link?

Thx.

Vexorg wrote: »
    I cannot find this offer on the Blueface website, would you have a link?

Thx.

Its not on the site. I got the initial info here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056638431&page=107

The relevant posts are on that page. Then go to blueface.ie. At the bottom rhs of the home page you will see a nag-ad to chat with them. Open that up & you can have a webchat with them. You can ask as many questions as you wish. I asked them to email me the offer. In short its the €25 reduced to €19.50 and the €29 one reduced to €23.50. Best of luck.

Update: 26 March 2014

Recently added:
    Blueface 'Unlimited' plans special offer - €19.50 (Ireland) / €23.50 (Ireland & UK) [Ends March 31st]

Recently updated:
    Added the network colour and styling. Looking sexy and sharp!

Other updates:
    Information why Blueface business plans are included, and other network's aren't.

---

Update: 25/04/2014

Clarification/Error:
    There was an incorrect statement that 4G was available on all Meteor Bill Pay plans. This is not the case: 4G is only available on 'Mega SIM', and not on the cheaper plans.

---

Upcoming developments

Now that the tariffs are complete and accurate, I intend to add the 'best value' offer information over the coming days.
    I am still in the process of figuring out and identifying the best way to define the 'best deal', so it will take time.

If you have any recommendations on how to achieve this, or care to highlight/nominate your opinions, get involved in the thread, or give me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

eMobile have TWO Select Unlimited plans. One for eircom customers [€24 per month - 5GB data] and one for eircom and non eircom customers [€32 per month] - 15GB Data. Otherwise they are identical.

Update: 26/04/2014

Clarification/Error:
    There was a clarification and distinction made to the Eircom packages.
    Eircom customers pay €24 per month for the Select Unlimited bundle, whilst non-Eircom customers pay €32.

Thanks to RangeR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭wba88

Update: 26/04/2014

Clarification/Error:
    There was a clarification and distinction made to the Eircom packages.
    Eircom customers pay €24 per month for the Select Unlimited bundle, whilst non-Eircom customers pay €32.

Thanks to RangeR.

The first 'Select Unlimited' in eMobile is €5 - pricing error and the link doesn't work

• Advertisement

Typo. Apologies. Link fix on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

you are forgetting the tesco deal.
    unlimited calls and unlimited texts plus 1 gb of data for 15. but if you have clubcard vouchers you can use 1 x 5 euros cc voucher for your 15 euro top up.
    so 8 x 15
    and 4 x 5 cc voucher * given you get them quarterly = 140 obviously less if you get more in cc vouchers.
    http://www.tescomobile.ie/priceplans/conductyourplan.aspx

apparently from 2moro you no longer need to text all the info in, you will just get the deal by just signing up for it

Yes, I am aware of that.

The Tesco Mobile price plans are rather complicated, so I need to take a good look at the formatting of them now.

Update: 25/03/2014

Clarification/Error:
    Update to Tesco Mobile - The grid now has a clearer view of 'Clubcard customer' only offers.

Update to Tesco Mobile - URL links for the packages and tariffs.

Formatting changes - Costmetic changes to the matrix and grid for ease-of-reading.

Error fix - I was posting revised changelogs as an April date. Doy!

Upcoming developments:

I am testing 'Best offer' plans. This will no doubt have some controversy. I welcome feedback from users. I will not accept suggestions from network representatives, or third-party clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

RangeR wrote: »
    eMobile have TWO Select Unlimited plans. One for eircom customers [€24 per month - 5GB data] and one for eircom and non eircom customers [€32 per month] - 15GB Data. Otherwise they are identical.

You mixed the data allowance on the two unlimited plans :) The €32 is 15GB and the €24 is 5GB

:)

Done.

So you actually get better data allowances as a non-Meteor customer? Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

apparently the tesco deal changes 2moro, instead of having to opt in every month for the club card unlimited talk and text you will just automatically get it. * might be wise to check this out 2moro though.
    looks really good btw, thanks for such a concise and thorough list

You're welcome.

And yes, it does change tomorrow. I will be updating it then, and changing the Blueface plans, which are to increase in price.

Update: 01/04/2014

Recently updated:

Blueface -
    The special offer has ended, and pricess have reverted to their original price.

Tesco Mobile -
    Removed older tariffs and replaced them with new ones.
    Updated bundles and opt-in information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Quick few questions... I think that 48 network is superb value:

1. Do you have to lie about your date of birth to sign up (im over 23... by a few years :P but don't see why I shouldnt get a good deal).

2. I assume you can port your number in and out if needed, this is law right?

3. Is the network solid/good etc...?

4. They dont have asia listed for Roaming... am I scuppered if I go there on hols?

Thanks,

Advertisement