Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

is muscle memory a myth?

• 26-03-2013 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭

as in if you go a few months without training and then start back you'll get back the gains you lost quicker? ive recently returned from abroad and am planning to hit the weights again a few people have said ill make back the mass and strength i had a lot quicker! has this ever happened to anybody?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jeziorski

I do not think so, sorry :D The only way is training, training and training. You should also combine training with diet but it is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

beano345 wrote: »
    as in if you go a few months without training and then start back you'll get back the gains you lost quicker? ive recently returned from abroad and am planning to hit the weights again a few people have said ill make back the mass and strength i had a lot quicker! has this ever happened to anybody?

yes it has happened to me a number of times after long layoffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

it is certainly true with returning from injury and operations

a strong well conditioned body will return to full fitness much quicker than others

eg after a knee operation if your legs were in great shape beforehand then your recovery time should be shorter

your body and mind create the muscle memory together for movements
    as in, it is only by practicing something thousands of times that it becomes ingrained as second nature

the Australian institute of sport reckon it takes at least 2000 repetitions to improve a skill
    and they reckon that in any one training session, that you must get up and above 200 repetitions of any one skill before your brains, muscles, nerves are even in the zone for improvement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    it is certainly true with returning from injury and operations

a strong well conditioned body will return to full fitness much quicker than others

eg after a knee operation if your legs were in great shape beforehand then your recovery time should be shorter

your body and mind create the muscle memory together for movements
    as in, it is only by practicing something thousands of times that it becomes ingrained as second nature

the Australian institute of sport reckon it takes at least 2000 repetitions to improve a skill
    and they reckon that in any one training session, that you must get up and above 200 repetitions of any one skill before your brains, muscles, nerves are even in the zone for improvement

i reckon the first few sessions are going to be pathectic! but after a while ill get back up to near enough hopefully more than were i was before!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It's absolutely not a myth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Its true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

beano345 wrote: »
    as in if you go a few months without training and then start back you'll get back the gains you lost quicker? I've recently returned from abroad and am planning to hit the weights again a few people have said ill make back the mass and strength i had a lot quicker! has this ever happened to anybody?

Muscle memory is something that happens in the brain not the muscles. If the muscles get smaller the memory persists in the brain. Its just like riding a bike - you never forget.

More here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory

• Registered Users Posts: 39,002 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Muscle memory is something that happens in the brain not the muscles. If the muscles get smaller the memory persists in the brain. Its just like riding a bike - you never forget.

More here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory
    That's a different kind if muscle memory. It relates to motor skills. How your brain can remember complex movements. Playing a instrument, movement, writing etc

Muscle memory in relation to weight training refers to a physical adaption in the muscle, not the brain.
    In short: When you lift weights and get bigger/stronger, your muscles physically alter on a cellular level, when you stop lifting even though you may lose those gains, some of the cellular changes remain. So when you start back lifting, you can return to the previous state quicker because the process is already partially complete.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory_(strength_training)

Advertisement