Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dungarvan-Waterford Railway to Greenway

• 23-03-2013 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I've moved to Waterford recently. As I explored the county, I came across the old railway line along the Coast Road out of Dungarvan. The views are amazing and I walked some of the unused track a couple of months ago- tunnels, viaducts, bridges... really impressive. I did a bit of googling about the railway and saw that there had been plans to redevelop it as a greenway (much like the Great Western Greenway in Westport but with so much more potential!!!)from Dungarvan to Waterford city. I can only imagine the huge tourist attraction this project would represent... its very exciting prospect for Waterford. Anyway, I was just wondering where these plans are at... there was plenty of chat about the project up until 2007 - 2008, but seems to have dropped off radar since. I know approx 4km from Dungarvan to Clonea have been re developed, however what about the remaining 40km???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm sure it'd be possible to have cycleways/road walks following the coast on to Ardmore and then to youghal, and along the old line to midleton...?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

How well has the reopening of the City to Midleton section done? They might not want to permanently rule out a line back to Youghal

flazio wrote: »
    How well has the reopening of the City to Midleton section done? They might not want to permanently rule out a line back to Youghal

Doubt if it'll be re-opened in the next decade or two, but if it was re-opened at least a walking track would mean the line was clear...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Greenways are an excellent way to protect public land ( old railways) from squatting and encroachment like those chancers near Listowel and their FG town councillor ally are trying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's a public consultation open on this now; closing date 14th March 2014; public display until end Feb2014

There's a heritage train running from Kilmeaden towards Waterford which is why the greenway proposal stops at Kilmeaden.

http://www.waterfordcoco.ie/en/media/community/greenwayfiles/Dungarvan%20to%20Kilmeaden%20Greenway%20Part%20VIII%202014.pdf

http://www.waterfordcoco.ie/en/community/cycleandpedestriangreenway/

There were 2 level crossings, I can remember as a young Carawaystick getting stopped at both crossings as the train crossed the n25 and back again. I guess the third crossing is grade seperated. (The line starts off east of the N25 and finishes west of the N25...3crossings)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bizguy

Apparently Kilmeaden to Waterford is a separate project for which funding has already been applied for. The train and greenway would run side-by-side.

Sources: www.deisegreenway.com and www.facebook.com/deise.greenway

Waterford to New Ross is also gaining momentum:

http://www.cklp.ie/wp-content/uploads/New-Ross-to-Waterford-Cycleway-quote-invite.pdf

I got the train from Kilmeaden, I can't see where there'd be room from the station towards Waterford for a greenway, there's a bridge over the line with maybe a foot space either side of the train as you leave the station and it's in a cutting for a good bit of the way afterwards.

With most of the traffic off the old n25, I could see space being made on it to make cycle lanes, to Waterford.

Plus I can't see the operators of the train liking easier/cheaper access to the train line, if they've the only views of the Suir, then it's a big loss to their attraction, letting anyone cycle along fro free...

Could be a big plus to say ,get a heritage train to kilmeadan, go for long or short hike get the train back,if there's room for bikes all the better.
    A lot of the time tourists (local and foreign just need a little excuse to go somewhere,to use a track,heritage line ect, and face it Kilmeaden isn't exactly where springs to mind first when you think of tourism , yet .
    Fair dues to Waterford , they'll probably get both projects going properly without all the hoohaa that others make ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Markcheese wrote: »
    I'm sure it'd be possible to have cycleways/road walks following the coast on to Ardmore and then to youghal, and along the old line to midleton...?
    flazio wrote: »

The Cork/Midleton/Youghal line is a different line to the Mallow/Dunganvan/Waterford line

I got the train from Kilmeaden, I can't see where there'd be room from the station towards Waterford for a greenway, there's a bridge over the line with maybe a foot space either side of the train as you leave the station and it's in a cutting for a good bit of the way afterwards.

I thought the exact same so I checked the drawings that were published last week and the width is there in the cutting:

http://www.waterfordcoco.ie/en/media/community/greenwayfiles/phase6/Drawing%2021%20P6-003-P6-003-1.pdf
    Plus I can't see the operators of the train liking easier/cheaper access to the train line, if they've the only views of the Suir, then it's a big loss to their attraction, letting anyone cycle along fro free...

I had a look at the train operator's facebook page and found this interesting quote from just a few weeks ago, looks like they support it:
    Waterford City and County Councils made an application to the National Cycle Networks for funding for a cycle and walkway from Bilberry to Kilmeadan, the first 10km leg of Deise Greeway. We met Minister Alan Kelly last week and he indicated a decision would be made on the application in early February. We hope for positive news!

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    Could be a big plus to say ,get a heritage train to kilmeadan, go for long or short hike get the train back,if there's room for bikes all the better.

The train starts and finishes at Kilmeaden, it heads towards Waterford, but stops near the toll on the N25 and heads back.

@ Bizguy
    the link you posted shows <1000mm between the rail line and bridge parapet.
    I wonder if the rsc would have a conniption with the use of the live railway as a cycle lane...

the link you posted shows <1000mm between the rail line and bridge parapet.
    I wonder if the rsc would have a conniption with the use of the live railway as a cycle lane...

Yeah I think there'll be a tricky 600-800 metre stretch but we live in hope that there's some plan if funding has been applied for.

As for the RSC, I suppose it depends on how it's secured...this photo from the UK shows what can be done, and much of our regulations follow theirs:

avon_valley_steam_railway.jpg

Hopefully the next round of greenway funds will be announced this month and some of these much-needed greenway projects can get started ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Part of an interesting series from 1997

Advertisement