Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rogue US soldier went on rampage in Afghanistan, 10 civilians dead, five wounded!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Daniel S wrote: »
    16 dead now
    Back to 15 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

robman60 wrote: »
    I'm calling in advance that his punishment will be extremely lenient, as the US will make up some bull**** that he was provoked. In My Lai, the only sentence handed down was two years house arrest.

Extremely lenient?

Look up the Mahmudiyah killings. One person is serving life without parole, 3 others recieved sentences which when combined total 300 years.

They don't do extremely lenient all that well these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Ghandee wrote: »
    I'd have imagined the compounds would have their own fully self sufficient bars no?
    (genuine question)

No, they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

robman60 wrote: »
    This is what happens when young, impressionable people are shown that killing is okay.

It's hardly the first time something like this has happened either, see below:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre

I'm calling in advance that his punishment will be extremely lenient, as the US will make up some bull**** that he was provoked. In My Lai, the only sentence handed down was two years house arrest.

Oh really now?

http://www.king5.com/news/local/JBLM-soldier-convicted-of-murder-for-killing-unarmed-Afghans-133652258.html

What I find interesting about this event is that it is still too earlier to know all of the facts. In this report, it is mentioned that it was a group of soldiers that left the base, entered homes, and began firing.

http://news.yahoo.com/soldier-detained-afghanistan-over-civilian-casualties-060915360.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Oh really now?

http://www.king5.com/news/local/JBLM-soldier-convicted-of-murder-for-killing-unarmed-Afghans-133652258.html

What I find interesting about this event is that it is still too earlier to know all of the facts. In this report, it is mentioned that it was a group of soldiers that left the base, entered homes, and began firing.

http://news.yahoo.com/soldier-detained-afghanistan-over-civilian-casualties-060915360.html

The harshest sentence handed down in the Maywand District murders was to Gibbs, a life sentence, however he's eligible for parole in 10 years.

Next harshest was Morlock, 24 year sentence, eligible for parole in 7 years.

That's a far cry from justice.

• Advertisement

karma_ wrote: »
    The harshest sentence handed down in the Maywand District murders was to Gibbs, a life sentence, however he's eligible for parole in 10 years.

Next harshest was Morlock, 24 year sentence, eligible for parole in 7 years.

That's a far cry from justice.

A life sentence isn't justice? Nor is a 24 year sentence? Even though they may be eligible for parole, it does not mean that they will be granted it. Many people serving on murder charges routinely go before parole boards and are denied. What would be justice in your opinion? The death penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Poccington wrote: »
    Extremely lenient?

Look up the Mahmudiyah killings. One person is serving life without parole, 3 others recieved sentences which when combined total 300 years.

They don't do extremely lenient all that well these days.

Unfortunately, the people in the areas where these kinds of killings take place probably think that "lenient" means not killing the guilty.

A life sentence isn't justice? Nor is a 24 year sentence? Even though they may be eligible for parole, it does not mean that they will be granted it. Many people serving on murder charges routinely go before parole boards and are denied. What would be justice in your opinion? The death penalty?

Not the death penalty no. However, this was a clear case of premeditated murder, proved by the courts martial, a fair sentence would have been life without the possibility of parole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Me too poor little mite couldn't handle the job he signed up for and slaughtered innocent women and children. He should be given a massage, a blow job, a hot bath and a nice home cooked meal.
    And a hug.

Not the death penalty no. However, this was a clear case of premeditated murder, proved by the courts martial, a fair sentence would have been life without the possibility of parole.

I see. So, anything less than a life sentence without a possibility of parole is to be considered lenient?

There have been convicted child killers who were given life sentences with the possibility of parole, and they have been continually denied parole. Simply because there is a possibility, does not mean that it will come to be reality.

• Advertisement

I see. So, anything less than a life sentence without a possibility of parole is to be considered lenient?

There have been convicted child killers who were given life sentences with the possibility of parole, and they have been continually denied parole. Simply because there is a possibility, does not mean that it will come to be reality.

In that particular case, where premeditation was determined, then a harsher sentence should have been handed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I'm surprised a US soldier has gone on a shooting spree against members of the ANA/ANP yet.

In that particular case, where premeditation was determined, then a harsher sentence should have been handed down.

But is a life sentence with the possibility of parole considered to be lenient? Or, simply not harsh enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

If somebody had fought back against him they would be labeled as an insurgent and this would be an entirely different story.

But is a life sentence with the possibility of parole considered to be lenient? Or, simply not harsh enough?

In the US -
    Premeditated murder is usually defined as one of the most serious forms of homicide, and is punished more severely than manslaughter or other types of murder - often with the death penalty or a life sentence without the possibility of parole.

In the US -

Right, the two harshest sentences. The poster that I responded to said that they will walk away with lenient sentences. I am now asking you if a life sentence with a possibility of parole, or even the 24 year sentences are to be considered lenient or simply not harsh enough.

Right, the two harshest sentences. The poster that I responded to said that they will walk away with lenient sentences. I am now asking you if a life sentence with a possibility of parole, or even the 24 year sentences are to be considered lenient or simply not harsh enough.

For premeditated murder, there should have been no possibility of parole. Hardly a controversial opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Not new. In this video the comment "they are looking for an excuse to shoot them" says it all about the US military.

For premeditated murder, there should have been no possibility of parole. Hardly a controversial opinion.

Lenient or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

If the example of Lieutenant Calley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre ) is anything to go by, this dude can expect a brief spell in the hoosegow or house arrest, followed by a presidential pardon and can then go on to earn a lucrative living touring the country and giving talks to groups of Tea Party whackos, religious fundamentalist and various other right-wing groups who don't like rag-heads Arabs and other inferior peoples.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Calley and his men massacred 500 or so people in a village in Vietnam, and he was eventually convicted of 22 murders, but served only about 3 years house arrest before Nixon pardoned him. The reality is that human life matters to the Americans only when it is American - and not even always then, either.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

This isn't the first American spree killing and it won't be the last. It's not even the first by a soldier (See Fort Hood, or Sgt Akbar).

I find it interesting that in most such cases, such as Virginia Tech or Tuscon, most posters blame access to guns more than anything else, yet in this case because of the fact it's happened in Afghanistan, it's due to the inhumanity or brutality of being in the Army. BS. Soldiers are just like anyone else you will find on the street in the city, because that's where we came from.

Assuming this is fundamentally just another killing spree, albeit one with significant political ramifications, and there is no reason yet to believe it isn't, my first question is how he got off the base on his own to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

...my first question is how he got off the base on his own to begin with.

He used the parts of his brain which concern themselves with spatial awareness, and locomotion so as to engage his legs, back muscles, abdominals and buttocks in the art of walking, which is technically a sort of "controlled, continuous falling".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

They were probably more concerned with people getting into the base.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Red Hand wrote: »
    ...my first question is how he got off the base on his own to begin with.

He used the parts of his brain which concern themselves with spatial awareness, and locomotion so as to engage his legs, back muscles, abdominals and buttocks in the art of walking, which is technically a sort of "controlled, continuous falling".

You've never left an American base in Afghanistan on foot, have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Daniel S wrote: »
    Back to 15 now.

At last some good news,

Hopefully the rest of them can make it back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

You've never left an American base in Afghanistan on foot, have you?

Many a time with my stalwart soldier chums. We'd hop the wall, and run down to Farmer Mujahammideen's orchard and steal his apples, while his rosy cheeked daughter kept lookout. Then after a quick fumble in the hay with her, I would bid her "Adieu!" and run back up the hill to the barracks, laden with apples and high jinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Someone from 'our crowd' goes on a killing spree and people deem him insane.

How convenient.

If it was, say, an Arab in the US who went on a killing spree his sanity would not be in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

This isn't the first time a Yankee soldier has went on a killing spree of destruction and mayhem and it won't be the last. Afghanistan is now a mess. I hope the UK leaves the Yankee army to it.

This isn't the first American spree killing and it won't be the last. It's not even the first by a soldier (See Fort Hood, or Sgt Akbar).

I find it interesting that in most such cases, such as Virginia Tech or Tuscon, most posters blame access to guns more than anything else, yet in this case because of the fact it's happened in Afghanistan, it's due to the inhumanity or brutality of being in the Army. BS. Soldiers are just like anyone else you will find on the street in the city, because that's where we came from.

Assuming this is fundamentally just another killing spree, albeit one with significant political ramifications, and there is no reason yet to believe it isn't, my first question is how he got off the base on his own to begin with.

There had to be motive for him, this wasn't just a random targeted spree, he had the wherewithal to walk off the base and not attack his fellow soldiers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Seachmall wrote: »
    There are plenty of cases where they don't.

Howard Unruh
    Charles Starkweather
    Christian Dornier
    Julain Knight

Not to mention these 2 nutters.

Martin Bryant

Anders Behring Breivik

Advertisement