Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Length of Babs

• 09-09-2010 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Just back from Mat had another scan and doctor is now convinced that babs is due in November because of its length which is crazy because I am SURE of my dates and the 1st scan confirmed date to be circa December 19th
    I dont want them inducing me in November almost 3 weeks early just cos the babs is long
    I'm 6ft my hubby is 6ft 2, our 9 year old daughter is now the average height of a 12 year old so being leggy kinda runs in the family :D

How can I get them to listen to me??????:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Stand your ground.

My sister was in the same situation as you on her first baby. She absolutely knew the date she conceived. Her hubby was in the Navy and they only got to spend one night together in the month she conceived. He's 6'7" and the baby was long so the hospital kept trying to insist she was due 3 weeks earlier than she could possibly be.

This was 6 years ago, but she was treated appallingly and because it was her first baby she put up with a lot of it, on the second she politely told them they didn't know what they were talking about and to leave her alone.

I won't go into details, but after being told on various occasions to "get your butt in here now", "you're killing your baby" and other such rubbish, only for them to unsuccessfully try to induce her, it was too early for that to even be effective, my sister gave birth on the date she had always insisted was her due date.

The trauma that hospital put her through was inexcusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I had this crap with No. 1 as well and like your SIL it being my first time I was bullied into being induced when they said I was 10 days over but i figured I she was due 7 days later :(

After she was born and measured she was in the top percentile for weight and height there followed 12 months of PHN visits and me being told she was too heavy for her age while they never bothered taking into consideration her length! :mad:

as I said she is now 9 and the height of a 12 year old therefore well in the top percentile for her age :D

I'll be sticking to my guns this time though i do NOT want to be induced this one will come when it wants not when some puny 5ft nothing doctor thinks he/she should!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Good luck with it angelfire9. It's difficult enough being pregnant, with everything that involves, without the people who should be supporting you giving you grief.

On Number 2 my sister actually told them, very calmly, that if she would be into the hospital when her contractions started and not before, other than for normal checkups, and that if they called her once more trying to pressure her into being induced she would sue them for causing her mental anguish and attempting to harm her baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

The most accurate time to date a pregnancy is in the first 12 weeks. Any midwife or abstetrician will tell you the same thing. If you have had a scan within the first 12 weeks, politely remind your consultant of this fact and that you strongly feel that your original date is the most accurate.

If he/she is quite persistent that they wish to change your dates, suggest to them that you want to keep your original date and if you go over the 2 weeks that they would want to induce you, you would be happy to attend the hospital for closer monitoring until (if the occasion arises) that you go over by 2 weeks from your original due date.

At the end of the day they cannot force you to be induced, so don't be afraid to stand your ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I also had this when I was pregnant and was getting pressure from one obstetrician to come in for induction well before my due date. I knew 100% the date of conception as well as there being 42 week pregnancies as the norm in my family, so I felt that what this doctor was trying to pressure me into would result in my baby being induced almost a month early. I spoke to the midwives and they arranged for me to see a different obs. at my next antenatal check-up (I went public) and all was well after that. I did have problems with high blood pressure but the medical staff were more than happy for me to come in for regular monitoring. Eventually I was induced at 40+10 (3.5 weeks after the first obs wanted to induce me) due to dropping fluid levels and my boy was born after a 4-hour labour. They can tell by the condition of the baby and the placenta if you were too much overdue - we had none of the signs and probably would have been waiting another 5 days or so for the baby to come of his own accord. He was 9lbs 4 and almost 60cm when born and has been consistently in the 95th centile. I don't get any grief over his size, I just point to my very tall husband and brother and smile nicely.

Don't be pressured by anyone. I later learned that the doctor who pressured me also has the highest rate of emergency c-sections in that hospital. Of course you can't second guess every medical opinion, but as long as your own or your baby's health is not at risk, don't be coerced into needless interventions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement