Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Greystones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Banser

I remember Basil jacksons record shop opp mrs Mooneys shop started as a jewellers
    Muffins delicatessan beside frank clarkes an fenelons butchers
    Quinlans electrical opp Evans selling state of the art Betamax videos
    Also remember insurance brokers next door because the woman working in it was a stunner and had the best legs I had ever seen as a fourteen year old still can see them now.
    Watching the girls from top of the shelters on south beach then watching them swimming at the men's bathing
    John flynns shop at the cinema
    Robbing frank loves shop
    The stables, the pool hall
    Great days

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    6523062023_7022ab637e_z.jpg
    Orchard Utd.1 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr
    Great photo can u put up any names there's a few familiar faces just can't put names on them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Banser wrote: »
    Can you shed any light as to who they are yourself?

Vincent Offington, Eugene Barry, Tony Kelly, Michael Mc Gowan, Noel Whiston to name a few

Greystoned wrote: »
    • Rubex cube race-offs in CBS - Redmond O'Hanlon and David Maher I think?

Great discussion. I'm enjoying this. Yes I remember that Rubix cube race - the winner got a homework-free day from Master Barry.
    Another memory from CBS, was when a fight broke out in the "field", we'd all chant out "AG, AGR, AGRO-aggro" - or am I imagining that? It doesn't seem to work, because I (now) realize that there are two Gs in aggro!

Anybody remember the cubs and scouts trip to Germany. 1982 - I think.

Anybody remember a guy called Chris Wilson - I think that's the name. From England. He took his mother's silver serving tray to the golf club the time of the snow and it was the express route to the bottom. Couldn't stop. I heard a rumour that he rode his bike along the harbour wall (the top!) - but I did not see that myself.

Cabanas, Woodlands bar, Bitz and the Stables - what a loss! Excellent memories.

One or two people have mentioned that would like to see old photos. G'stones has to be one of the best documented towns in Ireland thanks to Derek Paine's books. There are seven of them - Mrs. Mooney (Trafalgar Rd.) might still have the most recent. The library certainly has some which can be consulted there (probably not for borrowing). If anybody is very interested in these books I can get back to you with the ISBNs and exact titles etc so you can try to purchase them via ebay etc.
    Another must-read is Peter McNiff's 'Stories from a small town' - very nice collection of mini-biographies of older Greystonians.
    I remember the scout trip to jägersburg in Germany in 1982 it was a great trip

Great photo can u put up any names there's a few familiar faces just can't put names on them

Deccie Byrne holding the cup, a few of the Gilberts, Flann Glynn, Shay Kinsella, Pa Redmond, Gary Byrne RIP. Mossy Gaskin, Gary Campbell.

• Advertisement

Deccie Byrne holding the cup, a few of the Gilberts, Flann Glynn, Shay Kinsella, Pa Redmond, Gary Byrne RIP. Mossy Gaskin, Gary Campbell.
    Is that Michael kelly beside Michael mc Gowan at the back and Johnny sutton and mick noble, recognise the red headed guy front left just can't put a name on him

Is that Michael kelly beside Michael mc Gowan at the back and Johnny sutton and mick noble, recognise the red headed guy front left just can't put a name on him

Is it Derek Greene RIP. ?

Is it Derek Greene RIP. ?
    the red headed guy at the back 2nd to the left of michael kelly looks like derek greene r.i.p. the red headed fella front left with the tashe looks familiar cant put a name on him though

the red headed guy at the back 2nd to the left of michael kelly looks like derek greene r.i.p. the red headed fella front left with the tashe looks familiar cant put a name on him though
    Michael Gilbert ??? not sure myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Vincent Barry, Joe Deitrich, Jimmy Murphy, Ray Barry

John - where is Gary Campbell?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

(Not sure about the etiquette of lifting the photos and posting them here, so here's the link instead)

As the thread is 37 pages, I'm not sure if anyone has posted this link to a Flickr group with photos of Greystones through the 50s and 60s

slideshow is particularly good

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

left to right (back row)
    Francy McGowan,Pa Redmond,dont know,Paul Bolger,John Elliott (R.I.P.)
    Rusty Sutton,Walty Gilbert,Tony Duggan

left to right (front row)
    Mossy,Danny Nolan,Jimmy Brady,Brendan Walsh,Gary Campbell, David Morris (mortice R.I.P.)

back row
    Ray Barry,Joe Dietrich,Kilcooler,Rusty Sutton,Christy Reilly, Jimmy Murphy
    Front row
    David Morris R.I.P. Jimmy abo Gilbert,Decky Byrne, Ciaran Gaskin (mossy)
    Pat boxer Doyle;)

"back row
    Ray Barry,Joe Dietrich,Kilcooler,Rusty Sutton,Christy Reilly, Jimmy Murphy
    Front row
    David Morris R.I.P. Jimmy abo Gilbert,Decky Byrne, Ciaran Gaskin (mossy)
    Pat boxer Doyle "

Kilcooler is Paul Kelly. Well done Bettyboop :D

left to right (back row)
    Francy McGowan,Pa Redmond,dont know,Paul Bolger,John Elliott (R.I.P.)
    Rusty Sutton,Walty Gilbert,Tony Duggan

left to right (front row)
    Mossy,Danny Nolan,Jimmy Brady,Brendan Walsh,Gary Campbell, David Morris (mortice R.I.P.) "

Well done again.
    The don't know was Eamonn Reilly RIP. ( Christy's brother)
    Jimmy Brady has passed on too RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WiCkLaMuLlA

anyone remember back in the late 70's early 80's there was an auld fella who cycled around Greystones from time to time on a bicycle which was cleverly adapted by having a sharpening stone driven by the pedals enabling him to sharpen scissors and knives ??

Remember the army used to accompany the cash delivery vans to the Bank of Ireland on main st. You would see the rifle toting soldiers crouched in the doorways just in case the IRA or some udder gougers would attempt a robbery !!

Remember the Pizza Mill had 2 motorcycle pizza delivery riders, can you name them ?

Anyone remember Dessie Redmond (RIP) who died in a road accident in about 1987 ?

Mrs Brennan who lived near Paddy's newsagents/tobacconists ?

Fairfield Park still there i wonder ? we used to live there in the early 1970's.

Remember Mr. and Mrs. Derry Kelleher who were a lovely older couple back in the late 1980's and used to frequent the Burnaby lounge from time to time sporting these russian type bear skin hats and sturdy winter coats in the colder winter months, i remember branding them 'russian dissidents' on one occasion to which they both heartily laughed. I believe their son(s) were the 'Soul Bats' musical duo ???

I too remember the 'strange movements' flyers/posters from the late 1970's which was advertising a local band, was Dennis McGrane Jnr. a member ????

Anyone else remember Kenneth Farrell from New Road(1986 RIP) and the lovely Tom Chapman from Windgates (RIP 1994), Alan Behan from Blacklion (RIP circa 2004/5) ??

Remember Dowlings butchers that was next to a cafe and Frank Clarkes on the main st. ??? a good golfer Oliver Whyte (RIP) worked there for years. I was the apprentice butcher there albeit only from 1986-1988 ?

Before that i worked in the fish factory (Irfish) with Gareth Nolan from the Boghall road in Bray!

Mrs. Coughlan that lived by the train station ???

Remember Martin O' Donohue and his wife (off supermarket fame) used to go to Cabanas quite regularly despite being 'a tad older' than everyone else frequenting that den if inequity, Mrs. O' Donohue used to dance with her hand bag around her neck in case it 'upped and walked away by itself' ???

Tony Farrelly (butcher from Delgany) working down the Woodlands Hotel serving cheap cider and yer complimentary sausage n' chips !!

I can remember what must have been the Orchard Inn ladies football team (circa mid to late 1970's) being transported onto the Bog pitch in the back of John Connelly's (of Grattan Park) lorry where he then tipped them out onto the grass !

I definately remember the donkey rides in the field next to Joe Sweeneys amusements...

Amos Lennon playing games in the Anchor and shouting at the top of his voice which used to annoy the living daylights out of Joe !

Bru Mooney (RIP) wandering into Bitz disco bar late one sat. night by himself and smiling at us as he ordered a drink, i always remember the long coat and boots he'd be wearing !

The chippy at Sharavogue i remember as a kid right enough, aswell as Baldy Redmond's lumber yard at the rear of Killians Hall ?

The scouts trip to Germany in 1981 or was it 82, Yep i was there too.

Liam Whiston, Al Nolan (1976/7 yellow Honda 400/4), Catherine O' Toole, Paddy Nolan, etc etc all giving up their time to run the cubs and scouts back in the day.

Pat Carthy and his slaughter house at the bottom of Applewood Heights, I wonder what ever happened to Pat ?

Remember the phone box at the crossroads in Killincarraig which was reputed to be 'the most vandalised phone box in all of Ireland' !!! ???

Remember in the early to mid 1970's the end bar (which is now still called Danns i suppose ?) in the Beach House was open for business and had a pool table ???

The Horse and Hound bar was deemed a dangerous place in the 70's and 80's !

remember the large house which was practically across the road from the pizza mill which contained a family and the father had a Ford Sierra Cosworth back in 1991/2 when nobody else really had money for an expensive sporty car yet this guy had a 'rip snorting ride' ! !

You remember well my friend. Lots of changes but Fairfield Park is still there.
    Tom Chapman was killed on Windgates on a Saturday afternoon, Kenneth Farrell was killed in Enniskerry in Powerscourt as far as I remember and Alan Behan died having a gastric op. in Loughlinstown Hospital. Sad times for everyone involved. And Dessie Redmond rip another one killed in a car accident on the Mill Road.
    Derry Kelleher was a strong Republican and wrote many articles
    8232912075_920ed32ee2_c.jpg
    Orchard Girls 1975 001

John your spot on regarding the Greystonians that have passed on as i remember the last time i saw Ken Farrell (Foddler or Fiddley) as we called him in school and shook his hand in Bitz bar, a few weeks later he was gone on. Tom Chapman (Chappy) used to pull wheelies on a Honda H100s or was it a Yamaha RXS100 outside the beach house during the seaside festival when he was only 16 or 17 years old and what a gr8 laugh he was, i was in the USA when the phone rang one morning in 1994 delivering the bad/sad news, after all of Tom's bike crashes and two wheeled lunacy he ended up dying in a car crash ! I used to booze it up with Alan Behan and worked with him for a while too in AO Smiths in Bray, the last time i spoke to him and shook his hand must have been 1999 or 2000, another good man from Blacklion gone on too soon.
    Dessie wasn't alone that fateful night as i remember but the young trainee accountant or solicitor by his side perished too.

Adrian Kelly and Eggy White, names still lodged in the memory banks. I think Adrian has lived in London for years now.

There was a chap that lived up in Kindlestown near Vincent Byrne called Cedric back in the late 70's early 80's, he had a sister too but alas i cannot remember their family name.

Rodney Quinn, anybody remember him and his family which lived in Fairfield park and Kindlestown park many years ago, i think his dad worked on the railways. I believe they ended up in London.

Alan Hayden snr. a lovely man who was a mechanic and lived up in Kindlestown, he was the first ever black person i met if memory serves me correctly, and what a gent, I think his people hailed from Nigeria possibly. (RIP).

Remember Angie / Angela who lived in the flats..... which i think was called Rivendell Grove, she was how shall i say ? 'a right character' !!

Jackie Murnane the politician used to be 'a parker' too till they upped sticks and moved, Anthony his son was nearly 'the big kahuna' winner on Sunshine 101 radio back in the late 80's, instead he's had to settle fer reading the news on RTE !

Remember Mr. Morrisey from Grattan Park, a sound ole boy he was. He lived near the McGraines and Coffeys, i think his daughter was a cub scout leader way back when and she went be the name of .......?? now i'm struggling to remember !!!

Carol Coffey and 'Washer' Mark Gorman RIP.

Freddie Cox from Kindlestown anyone ??? A blind man that wore dark glasses and a white suit and hat if i remember correctly ?

All the Bealin clan that possibly lived in Fairfield pk. then Kindlestown? Think they were from Tottenhan in London, Daithi was one of them at CBS.

can ya place names to the pic of the ladies football team above ? edit; is Missy Hayden in there ?

Just remembered old Mr. Lindsay, i think he was a retired doctor and Louise (RIP) was his daughter and she in turn had a daughter. Mr. Lindsay used to come into Dowlings butchers with his then very young granddaughter, God she must be in her late 20's by now !!! Louise did marry at some stage but i think her husband passed away prematurely too.

Remember some poor old soul passed away in the Orchard Inn one night.

Remember Bray cabs had an office at the train station for a short while.

Jeffrey Pegman bombing around 'stones in his loud, immaculate white mini till he rolled it near Killincarraig with co-pilot Pat Brady.

• Advertisement

Orchard Girls Team.
    Back Row L to R.....
    Pauline Morris, Phil Kane, Kay Kearns nee Campbell, Una Campbell nee Donnelly.
    Front Row L to R.....
    Missy Hayden, Bridget Commons.....Bernie White

8236404460_8e6300d964_c.jpg
    20120804-DSC_0514 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

Adrian Kelly in the Beach House last August with David "Messy" Campbell, Sean Lynch and I cannot name the other chap.

More guys I bet you know!
    8236445888_1ae82f5d38_c.jpg
    20120803-DSC_0444 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

Thanks John ! i recognise Vickers but whose d'udder fella ?

remember Brendan O Carroll appearing at the La Touche Hotel and doing a filthy stand up routine !

now i'm going to throw a curve ball, does anyone remember an asian family that lived in Fairfield park in the 70's, i'm fairly certain they were from Vietnam or Korea perhaps and the story goes the father was or had been in the military? The lads name was Brendan Chow (spelling ?) and he had a sister but thats all i remember of them.

Freddie Cox had a dog called Shadow:D in the pic Neil Stewart:)

Thanks John ! i recognise Vickers but whose d'udder fella ?

remember Brendan O Carroll appearing at the La Touche Hotel and doing a filthy stand up routine !

now i'm going to throw a curve ball, does anyone remember an asian family that lived in Fairfield park in the 70's, i'm fairly certain they were from Vietnam or Korea perhaps and the story goes the father was or had been in the military? The lads name was Brendan Chow (spelling ?) and he had a sister but thats all i remember of them.
    Mothers name was Gemma ,daughter Rosealeen and another brother Milo

Bettyboop and Pixbyjohn must be related !!!! I'm a broken man, i'm amazed at what ye two remember. I remember Brendan had a sister alright, perhaps slightly younger but it was soooooooooooo long ago and i too was a child so my grey matter is struggling a bit. They say an elephant never forgets and ye two are on par with Nelly ! I thought i had a good memory (but i'm prolly alot younger too) as i can remember things that never happened atall atall !!

I don't know Neil Stewart but there are 2 ladies in the back ground, would the one on the right be Mrs. Gildea by any chance ?

I don't know Neil Stewart but there are 2 ladies in the back ground, would the one on the right be Mrs. Gildea by any chance ?

It certainly looks like Betty Gildea.

• Advertisement

white haired man with glasses is a Greystoner i recognise but don't know. Lady sat down in black top looks familiar too but again i don't know her by name, and the lady on the LHS is she or was she a Ban Garda....... Lohan ???? well and truely broken now i am.

basically i don't know any of them !!

Advertisement