Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Piece on Cyclists on Prime Time RTE 1 9.35PM - Mod warning see OP/post 102

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The delivery dude with no helmet and taking his hands off the bars. I guess he is cool with the cap reversed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Bit like that horrific spate of deaths in London in the not so decent past. I remember Andrew Gilligan being slated for predicting that there would be regression to the mean (probably not the best time to bring it up, during the spate), but he was right. That high number last year does seem to be an anomaly among a run of otherwise good years.
    IIRC the figure of 5 in 2013 was seen as an anomaly at the time. I think the figure had been hovering around 10-12 for a few years having dropped significantly in earlier years to get to that level in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Larbre34 wrote: »
    They must have shown 20 examples, usual stuff you would see each day in Dublin town.

Well that's not 'many' in the context of the number of cyclists and cycle journeys in Dublin on any given day.

Wonder how long they had to film to get those examples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

Cycling has to be regulated.
    Compulsory for helmet, hi - vis jackets, third party insurance.
    And a health and safety course, with a photo I.D card issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Jawgap wrote: »
    Well that's not 'many' in the context of the number of cyclists and cycle journeys in Dublin on any given day.

Wonder how long they had to film to get those examples?

Come off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ermm...ok, that was pretty pointless..:confused::confused:

RTE paid a reporter and camera crew to walk around town for 8 days, for what, hardly earth shattering investigative journalism!

Pointless waste of licence fee, even Tv3 could have done better!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Beasty wrote: »
    IIRC the figure of 5 in 2013 was seen as an anomaly at the time. I think the figure had been hovering around 10-12 for a few years having dropped significantly in earlier years to get to that level in the first place
    Think 10-12 was fairly typical of the boom years alright. I think you're right: five was anomalously low, but I think twelve was also close to anomalously high in the context of the post-boom years (will have to check that). Mind you, this year looks more like a "five" than a "twelve" (deo volente).

EDIT:
    http://273k.net/cycling/accidents.html says
    1998, 21
    1999, 14
    2000, 10
    2001, 12
    2002, 18
    2003, 11
    2004, 11
    2005, 10
    2006, 13
    2007, 17
    2008, 15

Think the site owner stopped there, which is coincidentally where the boom ended too.

EDIT AGAIN:
    monument to the rescue:
    Cyclists-deaths-in-Ireland-640x399.jpg

http://irishcycle.com/2014/01/01/cyclists-deaths-on-irish-roads-at-joint-low-in-2013/

I think the decline in road deaths up to 2008 (which looks significant, could do a regression calculation on it) is down to fewer cyclists to a large extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The bike lanes in this Mean Streets doc are so narrow. Complete death traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ermm...ok, that was pretty pointless..:confused::confused:

RTE paid a reporter and camera crew to walk around town for 8 days, for what, hardly earth shattering investigative journalism!

Pointless waste of licence fee, even Tv3 could have done better!

I think that there was a last minute edit because of the Aer Lingus sale. I would imagine that the original edit had more detail

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Cycling has to be regulated.
    Compulsory for helmet, hi - vis jackets, third party insurance.
    And a health and safety course, with a photo I.D card issued.

Blah,Blah,Blah.

'The regulators' could start by enforcing existing traffic laws on cyclists. All the things you have listed would only serve to discourage cycling if made compulsory, without much benefit to anyone. Plenty of people in high-vis and helmets breaking red lights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

<snip>

Come off it.

Well my experience of cycling in the city is that a noticeable number, but not the majority by any means, of cyclists jump lights or cycle on the footpad.......

......just like a good proportion of drivers fail to follow road traffic laws (jumping reds, dangerous parking, speeding etc) as do a majority of pedestrians.

<snip>

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They must have shown 20 examples, usual stuff you would see each day in Dublin town.
    It was about 12 actually and all but 4 of them were chosen simply to highlight examples of the 3 situations where the potential introduction of fixed penalty notices may be relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

......just like a good proportion of drivers fail to follow road traffic laws (jumping reds, dangerous parking, speeding etc) as do a majority of pedestrians.

Maybe we should regulate car drivers! Make them take a test before getting behind the wheel..make insurance compulsory, stiff penalties for breaking the ROTR etc. that'll put manners on them! ;)

Blah,Blah,Blah.

'The regulators' could start by enforcing existing traffic laws on cyclists. All the things you have listed would only serve to discourage cycling if made compulsory, without much benefit to anyone. Plenty of people in high-vis and helmets breaking red lights.

Come on, do not deflect.
    Cyclists are on public roads and have a right to be on them.
    but they should have some insurance and health and safety gear.
    It is common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Beasty wrote: »
    It was about 12 actually and all but 4 of them were chosen simply to highlight examples of the 3 situations where the potential introduction of fixed penalty notices may be relevant

Do you deny that they couldnt have filled hours of footage with law breaking cyclists in Dublin. I know they could have.

Do you deny that they couldnt have filled hours of footage with law breaking cyclists in Dublin. I know they could have.
    Well, really, they could do that for any transport mode. This programme sounds as if it was put together with all the rigour of a YouTube channel.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Maybe we should regulate car drivers! Make them take a test before getting behind the wheel..make insurance compulsory, stiff penalties for breaking the ROTR etc. that'll put manners on them! ;)

......only if they're made to drive hi-viz coloured cars :D

• Advertisement

They stayed quite clearly "the vast majority of cyclists do obey the rules of the road" - probably similar to motorists

Come on, do not deflect.
    Cyclists are on public roads and have a right to be on them.
    but they should have some insurance and health and safety gear.
    It is common sense

Putting barriers in the way of the wider acceptance of cycling just increases the costs to society.

More people cycling means less congestion and a fitter healthier population.

Motorists - unless they are also cyclists - just don't get it. If they help create a benign environment for cycling, more people will cycle freeing up road space.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

......only if they're made to drive hi-viz coloured cars :D

And make helmets compulsory for convertible car drivers! :)

Putting barriers in the way of the wider acceptance of cycling just increases the costs to society.

More people cycling means less congestion and a fitter healthier population.

Motorists - unless they are also cyclists - just don't get it. If they help create a benign environment for cycling, more people will cycle freeing up road space.

It is cyclists like you that do not get it.
    How could someone be against a helmet and a Hi- Vis.
    How could someone be against cyclists having insurance, considering bicycles come so close to cars,trucks,pedestrians.
    These is no point a cyclist saying motorists do not get it, if they are dead or badly injured.

I have no problem with cyclists, but it is time for tough new rules regards who can take a push bike onto a road with heavy traffic.

How could someone be against cyclists having insurance, considering bicycles come so close to cars,trucks,pedestrians.
    These is no point a cyclist saying motorists do not get it, if they are dead or badly injured.

I have no problem with cyclists, but it is time for tough new rules regards who can take a push bike onto a road with heavy traffic.

You've already been directed to the mega thread on helmets and HiVis, before you lecture educate yourself.

What type of insurance do you propose ? Has there been any cases where insurance would have helped ?

I'm not against any of that - but where is the evidence that hi-viz, helmets etc are beneficial?

I have insurance - but who else should have it? My 9 year old nephew who has just got his first road bike? My 16 year old son who is only interested in riding off road? Or another 6 year old nephew who loves his BMX?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ourheritage

I see it all the time. Cyclists crashing the red lights. Going down a one way street or like what I saw today. A woman cycling down the wrong lane of a two way street. Since May I have become extremely critical of cyclists that will break the rules of the road as I was crossing at a set of pedestrian lights when I had right of way, and was nearly knocked to the ground by a cyclist crashing the red lights. I am going to suggest to the people who were talking on Prime Time tonight, and the minister for transport that number plates be made a law for cyclists so that these cyclist can be brought to justice and given what they deserve. I COULD HAVE BEEN KILLED.

Helmet and hi-viz mega-thread contains most of the usual arguments:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057030568
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057136508
    There is no country I'm aware of that compels cyclists to have insurance, though some cyclists voluntarily pay for it. Funny inversion you used, where it's the bikes coming close to the cars and trucks. Motorists are compelled to have insurance because of the extremely large liabilities they can face, given the size and power of the vehicle.

I see it all the time. Cyclists crashing the red lights. Going down a one way street or like what I saw today. A woman cycling down the wrong lane. Since May I have become very critical of cyclists that will break the rules of the road as I was crossing at the green man, and was nearly knocked to the ground by a cyclist crashing the red lights. I am going to suggest to

On my daily commute along the N11 I can guarantee you that at every junction at least three cars will brake the red light.

Now ask yourself what damage a bike can do braking a red light Vs a car braking a red light.

Busses are another problem , speeding up behind cyclists , stopping at stops and opening up exit doors on to the cycle path without ensuring its safe for passengers to jump off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I drive and I cycle like most people here, and you clearly don't have a clue.

Advertisement