Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Yesterday I had a puncture, I changed tube and went to put the wheel back on but while doing so the quick release broke.

I was stranded 25k from home. After making a few calls I eventually got somebody to come and collect me, though I was an over an hour in total standing at the side of the road in the pissing rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I washed my bike, dried and lubricated. Does that count here? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

ThOnda wrote: »
    I washed my bike, dried and lubricated. Does that count here? ;)

I hope so!

That's what I did yesterday evening. I also managed to eliminate some (but not all :() annoying noises. Found two quite loose spokes on the rear wheel, tightened them and spend a few minutes making sure the wheel stayed true. Nice job for a sunny evening with the dog helping as best he could. May have a little look for the remaining noise over the weekend. Seems like something is touching the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Swapped out my bars and stem. It was some craic putting the bar tape on I think it's a black art getting that stuff on right. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Swapped out my bars and stem. It was some craic putting the bar tape on I think it's a black art getting that stuff on right. :confused:

hardest part is around the shifters, once you have that its a piece of piss :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

from extremely cheap Vittoria Zaffiros to realtively cheap Conti Ultra Race. Instant difference.

I'm riding super cheap slick zaffiros now (10gbp for the pair ;-) ) and I am quite happy with them. Good grip in any weather, reasonably fast. What can I expect from better ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

alkos wrote: »
    I'm riding super cheap slick zaffiros now (10gbp for the pair ;-) ) and I am quite happy with them. Good grip in any weather, reasonably fast. What can I expect from better ones?

The realisation that what you thought was good grip and decent speed was way off. I have them on my back up wheels, and they're great at sucking the joy out of cycling.

In other news, i changed my track fork for one with a brake drilling, fitted a brake and lever. I can now start racing the track league because i can cycle there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Changed frame, fork and seatpost today.

Massive thanks to Lennymc for sorting me out with a frame, fork and seatpost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Changed frame, fork and seatpost today.

Massive thanks to Lennymc for sorting me out with a frame, fork and seatpost.

looks good. how does it ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

lennymc wrote: »
    looks good. how does it ride?

Thanks, will try it out tomorrow morning, didn't find the time today to get out. Did weigh it though, 9.36kg with the pedals (450g) and bottle cages (80-90g for the pair). That's roughtly 0.5kg lighter than the previous bike, very happy with that :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Glad you got sorted so quickly Himmzis, fair play Lenny for sorting him out! :)

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Thanks, will try it out tomorrow morning, didn't find the time today to get out. Did weigh it though, 9.36kg with the pedals (450g) and bottle cages (80-90g for the pair). That's roughtly 0.5kg lighter than the previous bike, very happy with that :).

happy days :)

best of luck with it.

Done it last week, but thought I'd contribute to the thread anyway...

Rotor 3d power2max with q-rings
    Look carbon blade pedals
    FSA SL-K seatpost
    Fizik Antares braided carbon saddle

null_zpsab7723dc.jpg

Also glued tubs for the first time to my new wheels, 2 races in and they haven't rolled off yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Just got myself a new 11-28 cassette, chain & jockey wheels not going on the bike till new wheels arrive in a weeks time. Gearing myself up to heading to the alps in sep

colm_gti wrote: »

Look carbon blade pedals
    FSA SL-K seatpost

null_zpsab7723dc.jpg

Also glued tubs for the first time to my new wheels, 2 races in and they haven't rolled off yet...

black bar tape would really suit that bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Look carbon blade pedals
    FSA SL-K seatpost

null_zpsab7723dc.jpg

Is your down pipe going into your bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

ABEasy wrote: »
    Is your down pipe going into your bin?

Home made water butt I'd imagine.

sweet bike though I like the white tape is it the easton cork tape?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I've been stripping my frame in order to sell it.

Been trying to remove these cranks for nearly 2 hours now, any ideas on how to get them off? I'm using a crank extractor that takes an 8mm allen key that just won't turn anymore. Made feck all progress too, they're barely off.

stetyrrell wrote: »
    I've been stripping my frame in order to sell it.

Been trying to remove these cranks for nearly 2 hours now, any ideas on how to get them off? I'm using a crank extractor that takes an 8mm allen key that just won't turn anymore. Made feck all progress too, they're barely off.

Start by putting on some shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I'm thinking of dropping my stem this evening in advance of a race on saturday, surely a 20k TT couldnt cause much hassle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Start by putting on some shoes

It was too warm for shoes, you're just lucky there wasn't a chest-high picture.

Gave up in the end and dropped it to the LBS shop, 1 minute with a better extractor and they were off. Lesson learned, don't buy cheap tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

And so my newbie cycling addiction spirals out of control...

frame.jpg
    groupset.jpg
    day1.jpg

First steps towards building my first road bike - so I can do longer rides and join a club once they start accepting members again come October.

It's a Ridley 2012 frame that CRC had on major reduction plus a Tiagra groupset that merlin cycles were doing a special on.

It's getting whatever I can get on special offer added to it - I got a FSA stem for 4.90 euro from CRC on flash sale as well as drop-bars for 12e because they were slightly (I can't see it) scratched from being used in a display model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

I finally filed down an old fork crown so I could put a 26.4mm race onto the 27mm fork crown.

I have been putting it off for months and it took 10 minutes last night. Having a digital calipers really helped. Now I just have to get the cups into the frame tonight, and I know there will be issues, there always is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Half clip are a-go.

262378.png

Next up, staining the leather to match the saddle. After that, further shallac-ing to match the handlebars to the saddle and grip. I have far much time on my hands.

Got a set of second hand Aksiums from mick.murphy :)

Swapped the campy freehub for a Shimano one that he provided, put on my new cassette and mounted the wheels. It's starting to look like a bike now!

wheelson.jpg

Still need the chain, and all the cabling but it's coming along.

I fitted the chain and cabled and adjusted the brakes last night after the kids went to bed.

Still no gear cables so I now have the world's least hip single speed bike!

1speed.jpg

I took it for its first ride last night around the local school playground. It was my first time ever using a drop-bar bike and it felt a bit like a circus act at the start but I got to like it pretty quickly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Fitted a new set of Fulcrum Quattros the other night. Have to say they look fantastic, haven't been out for a spin yet but they seem to spin forever. They're not the lightest at 1810gr but their looks make up for the weight.

Update: went for a short 30k spin this morning. Had a reasonably strong head wind for the first 15k but my speed was up and I wasn't putting in any extra effort. The wheels definitely do spin easier and for longer. I rode the route as I normally do and didnt try any harder yet still managed to knock a full 4 minutes from my previous best time. Result, I think.

I managed to do this whilst trying to take off at a set of lights. Not cool.

9567643317_9efdcb503e.jpg

Screw must have found it's way out during the week and I didn't cop it, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

OldBean wrote: »
    I managed to do this whilst trying to take off at a set of lights. Not cool.

http://mdotmay.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/01/29/legs.jpg

??

• Advertisement

Advertisement