Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wicklow Peaks Cycling Challenge June 28th

• 30-05-2015 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

The Wheels are in Motion for Naas Cycling Club’s Wicklow Peaks Challenge.

- Annual Cycle in association with the Kildare Branch of Down Syndrome Ireland.

Naas Cycling Club in association with the Kildare Branch of Down Syndrome Ireland recently launched the Wicklow

Peaks Cycling Challenge at the premises of NCC main sponsor, Finlay Ford, M7 Business Park, Newhall, Naas.

The 2015 Wicklow Peaks Challenge will take place on Sunday 28th June. The cycle this year has several changes from

previous years but will stillpresent a similar if not greater climbing challenge than ever. The 2015 cycle has two new

routes, 100K and 125K and will start and finish at Finlay Ford Naas. The routes are anti-clockwise this year and we

have also added the testing climb up Lugalla from the Roundwood side onto both routes.

Route 1 - 100km/1350m ascent approx: Finlay’s Naas - Ballymore - Hollywood - Wicklow Gap - Laragh -

Roundwood - Lugalla - Sally Gap - Ballysmuttan - Blessington - Finlay’s Naas.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7116101

Route 2 - 125km/1900m ascent approx: Finlay’s Naas - Ballymore - Hollywood - Donard - Ballinabarney Gap -

Aughavanagh - Slieve Mann - Shay Elliot - Laragh - Roundwood - Lugalla - Sally Gap - Ballysmuttan - Blessington -

Finlay’s Naas.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7116089

Pre-register and sign up online only at: www.wicklowpeaks.com

Entrance fee is €20 for adults, €10 for U16 Youths accompanied by an adult only (+€2 admin fee).

Numbers are limited this year to 300 only at which point registration will be closed, so sign up online early. For

safety and traffic control reasons, there is a staggered start this year from Finlay Ford so you can arrange to meet a

few friends and start the cycle at your own convenience anytime between 8am and 9:30am. Safety, medical,

mechanical and broom wagon support vehicles, road markings, direction signage and refreshments are all included.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Naas Cycling Club

Our Charity Partner - Kildare Branch Down Syndrome Ireland

This year all proceeds will go directly to the Kildare Branch of Down Syndrome Ireland, which is a voluntary

organisation supporting people with Down Syndrome and their families. The Kildare branch was started in 1985 by

a group of parents and it now supports and represents over 190 families throughout County Kildare. Their purpose

is not only to support people and families with Down Syndrome but also to promote a positive attitude towards

Down Syndrome. The organisation’s mission is to help people with Down Syndrome make their own futures as

bright and independent as possible. The Kildare branch is run by volunteer parents working on the committee and

providing members with a wide range of services and social opportunities. One of the services which the branch

provides is Early Development Groups in Newbridge and Leixlip. The overall purpose of our Early Learning

Programme is to facilitate the development of the behavioural, sensory and cognitive skills required for a successful

preschool experience. The group offers structured, pre-school educational activities to progress infant’s speech,

language, social play and communication skills, reading, number and motor skills. We offer each group the activities

that are relevant for the children’s age and stage of social, language and cognitive development.

We have two groups, divided by age. In the younger group the parent/carer stays with the child for the session.

These children range in age from a few months old to age 2. Our older group is aged in the range of 3 to 5 years old.

The Main aims of the groups are to introduce the children to group activities, to develop independence, to

encourage turn taking and peer interaction, to reinforce language, to imitate imaginative play and associated

language and to provide parent to parent support and friendship with other parents who have a son or daughter

with Down Syndrome. All money raised at this cycling event will go towards the Early Development Groups.

Further information at: www.wicklowpeaks.com, Facebook: www.facebook.com/ncctdf, Twitter:

@naascyclingclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Holding my breathe for all the reminders about this.

Although I am in. Will be good prep for letape. Same days as my daughters birthday, so need to start collecting brownie points.

Our webpage got a liitle makeover ....
    Pre register here http://wicklowpeaks.com/site/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Good luck with this, if the food and organisation is anywhere near as good as it was for the Tour de Foothills you will have a brilliant day.

Naas Cycling Club sponsor Finlay Motor Group M7 Business Park, have generously donated a prize to a lucky Wicklow Peaks entrant a new 2015 Trek 1.1 Racing Bike - retail value €895.
    To win this prize we will have entry forms for each participant on the day available on each registration desk.
    Draw will take place immediately after the event.
    Trek Bike supplied by Cahill's Cycles Naas.
    Good luck to all entries
    Naas Cycling Club

https://www.facebook.com/nccwp/photos/a.228556297158783.74834.228551670492579/1091381174209620/?type=1&theater

• Advertisement

Looks like a nice event, signed up!

Thanks to our Sponsors of Wicklow Peaks , Finlay Motor Group, MyFoam.ie , Farmbake . Tipperary Water , Cahills Cycles , Bikeology Naas ,Brennans Bread , Coxs Cash & Carry Newbridge ,Annalitten Eggs, and Kelloggs .

Thanks for supporting Down Syndrome Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

This is a great challenge its the WW200 without the flat boring bits I wont get to suffer this year as i will be in the rear with the gear AKA driving one of the broom wagons

Roads marked today online registration closes on Friday and all pre-reg's are entered into a draw for a trek bike fill in form on the morning
    https://www.facebook.com/nccwp/photos/a.228556297158783.74834.228551670492579/1091381174209620/?type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

Hi all,
    To those who've done it before, is there a good spread of abilities? I'm quite slow on hills, although I'd get round it eventually but I wouldn't want to be holding up everyone from going home.
    Most of my long spins are about 60km. I've done a few 75km (1100m approx height gain) in about 4 hours. Is that too slow for an event like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

valerie wrote: »
    Hi all,
    To those who've done it before, is there a good spread of abilities? I'm quite slow on hills, although I'd get round it eventually but I wouldn't want to be holding up everyone from going home.
    Most of my long spins are about 60km. I've done a few 75km (1100m approx height gain) in about 4 hours. Is that too slow for an event like this?

You do it at your own pace.

Don't be worrying about anyone else.

That's the way I do it these days :)

I'm super slow up hills, if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

You do it at your own pace.

Don't be worrying about anyone else.

That's the way I do it these days :)

I'm super slow up hills, if it helps.

Thanks soldier! It's not the competition - more worried about marshals needing to stay out just for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

valerie wrote: »
    Thanks soldier! It's not the competition - more worried about marshals needing to stay out just for me!

You'll be fine.

When you look back, I'm the fella behind you, suffering :)

Possibly singing to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Hi

Any boardsies interested in meeting up to roll out together on this?

Last few hours for online registration weather is going to be great so get going

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭nilhg

It's killing me but I'm going to miss this, really sorry I can't make it, it's my favourite of NCC's events and looks like a really lovely route, best of luck to all who take part.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

What kind of numbers are expected

3102derek wrote: »
    What kind of numbers are expected

somewhere between 300 to 600

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nilhg wrote: »
    It's killing me but I'm going to miss this, really sorry I can't make it, it's my favourite of NCC's events and looks like a really lovely route, best of luck to all who take part.
    I'm unable to do it also - due to work commitments. :( Really enjoyed it last year - probably one of the best sportives on the calendar.

Good news
    After consultation with Kildare Branch Down Syndrome we have decided to accept registrations on Sunday morning.
    Registration on the morning will be €25 and as it is a staggered start you can sign on at Finlay Ford, Newhall, Naas anytime from 8am to 9:30am.

• Advertisement

After consultation with Kildare Branch Down Syndrome we have decided to accept registrations on Sunday morning.
    Registration on the morning will be €25 and as it is a staggered start you can sign on at Finlay Ford, Newhall, Naas anytime from 8am to 9:30am.
    Forecast is for a warm, breezy morning, with the chance of a spotty shower in places, with times of sun and clouds - great climbing weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Did the 125km route,enjoyed the spin around.Road was very well marked and marshals at main junctions etc.The food stop in Laragh was topclass,plenty of everything,and nice ladies serving the tea/coffee.
    Headwind all the way back to Naas more or less from Laragh,just put the head down and pedalled.More food and drinks at the finish in the Ford showroom,again great ladies helping out.Special mention to the DJ,he played great music at the correct volume,not too loud and not too soft.
    All in all a great event,well done to all involved,the weather was even warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

Great day out today apart ftom a mechanical.
    had to turn back on the 125k route after 43k, due to a broken RH shifter. So finished the day with 86k covered.

No way was I going up the hills stuck in 39/12
    On the bright side I was the first one home!!

Nice welcome back at the end.
    Very well run event as always thanks to NCC

Looking forward to the Martin Early to make up for today.

Nice route. Good event. Well done NCC!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Hard route, great day, well organised and well marshalled. Nice one. :)

3102derek wrote: »
    Great day out today apart ftom a mechanical.
    had to turn back on the 125k route after 43k, due to a broken RH shifter. So finished the day with 86k covered.

No way was I going up the hills stuck in 39/12
    On the bright side I was the first one home!!

Nice welcome back at the end.
    Very well run event as always thanks to NCC

Looking forward to the Martin Early to make up for today.

Felt very sorry for you with the broken lever i did offer you a spin in the broom wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Another really well organised event from Naas CC. Good route marking and mashals at all the right places. Great food stop in Laragh and waterstops along the route. Good challenging route, and the change to an "anti-clockwise" direction is better imo. Well done to Naas CC and the army of volunteers, top class.

A big thanks to the sponsor, Finaly Motor Group for making their gleaming showrooms available as a base for this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Doc07

Well done Naas CC. Great day out. Wind was pretty tiresome on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mgbgt0_0

Some Pictures from Hollywood hill Wicklow Peaks 2015
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133249831@N04/?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Did the 100k route with a mate yesterday. Nice route and the organisation from start to finish was first class. Definitely do it again next year. Although that sneaky hill on the way down from Sally Gap to Blessington was unexpected and a bit of a shock to the system when I thought I'd just be able to freewheel all the way back to Naas.

Advertisement