Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

can they block my phone

• 15-03-2017 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi.
    My bill pay phone provider recently increased my bill and gave me the option to cancel.
    The bill is now to expensive so i have cancelled the contract. I received my final bill and paid it except for 18 euro which there is a question mark over.
    The provider gave me the unlock code for the phone and i am now on prepay with another phone provider.
    My question is if i refuse to pay the disputed 18 euro can my original phone provider still block my phone even though it is unlocked and now working under another sim card from vodafone.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Yes they could. It's the imei they block. Whether they will or not is a different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Hi.
    My bill pay phone provider recently increased my bill and gave me the option to cancel.
    The bill is now to expensive so i have cancelled the contract. I received my final bill and paid it except for 18 euro which there is a question mark over.
    The provider gave me the unlock code for the phone and i am now on prepay with another phone provider.
    My question is if i refuse to pay the disputed 18 euro can my original phone provider still block my phone even though it is unlocked and now working under another sim card from vodafone.
    Thanks

No - but they can chase you if the €18 is valid

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Case of cutting your losses I'd think. I'd just pay the 18 quid if they weren't budging just to be free to move networks without any aggravation. You'll presumably save at least that much on the new deal in the first month or two anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Yes they could. It's the imei they block. Whether they will or not is a different thing.
    But can they still block imei if the phone is unlocked and under another network?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

But can they still block imei if the phone is unlocked and under another network?

The phone isn't under any network as such. Every cell tower has a list of IMEI numbers that the tower will refuse to communicate with. The networks all cooperate to all use the same list on every tower from every network. Any phone company can add an IMEI to the blocked list and the other networks won't ask any questions, it doesn't matter what SIM card is in the phone, the IMEI is completely separate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement