Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plastic roofing for shed

Options
  • 05-02-2016 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just looking for feedback on getting a plastic roof(where to buy, what is the best/worst to buy, how much it costs/best value etc)for a block shed.

Trying to work out if its better value than a traditional roof or if anyone has done their own sheds, what good ideas/hints/tips have you to offer.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Have you got insulation under the current roof?

If not, plastic or metal will cause condensation and drip like crazy.

I'd put T&G or whatever covered with DPM, 75 - 100mm insulation and then the outer shell. OSB with felt / shingles or metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Steve wrote: »
    Have you got insulation under the current roof?

If not, plastic or metal will cause condensation and drip like crazy.

I'd put T&G or whatever covered with DPM, 75 - 100mm insulation and then the outer shell. OSB with felt / shingles or metal.

No roof at all at the minute Steve as just in the planning stage.
    Structure will be block and just trying to decide on the best option for the roof at this point(shed will only ever be used as storage so looking to keep the cost as reasonable as possible)

Have seen some sheds out there with plastic slate effect and was wonder what the cost is/how it holds up etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm not an expert by any means on this, and don't really know the costs.

That said, if you have a really well ventilated shed and heating it is not a priority then i'd go for Tegral sheeting with anti condensation layer or felt over OSB depending on price.

The last thing you want is water dripping on whatever you are storing in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I replaced a roof on my dads brick shed a couple of years ago. used OSB2 or 3. (3 I think, but can't remember exactly.

The expensive part was the felt Shingles I put on it. It is a really solid roof now and was well worth doing right. Cost a few hundred quid, but could have saved a lot by just going with rolls of felt i'm sure, but then again to do that right, I think you have to torch it on or something.

You could also look at the likes of done deal and see if you can pick up some second hand tiles. something we only considered afterwards.

I replaced a roof on my dads brick shed a couple of years ago. used OSB2 or 3. (3 I think, but can't remember exactly.

The expensive part was the felt Shingles I put on it. It is a really solid roof now and was well worth doing right. Cost a few hundred quid, but could have saved a lot by just going with rolls of felt i'm sure, but then again to do that right, I think you have to torch it on or something.

You could also look at the likes of done deal and see if you can pick up some second hand tiles. something we only considered afterwards.

• Advertisement

Advertisement