Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Base for makeup

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭tictac2580

Find these primers great-
    Smashbox Photofinish
    Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch

And Clarins Beauty Flash Balm sometimes to boost moisture and tighten the skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Here's an update 1 year on.

Baby is now a toddler, big girl dresses herself, and I've been tipping away at this, trying to get it right.

You guys were right, when I added a primer with doublewear, I felt caked. I dropped the double wear and went hunting for a new foundation altogether.

Foundation Did a load more testing, and after about 10 products, switched to Giorgio Armani Luminous silk, no reaction, hurray! Got a primer and concealer in the same range. I don't generally need either, unless it's a late night thing on after work as well. Also, copped on that people reapply make-up at the end of the work day if they are going to something else afterwards. You are probably all saying 'well d'uh', but what can I say, my mum's a make-up hating hippy and I have no sisters. Most of my close friends either don't wear make-up at all, or are dudes. Anyway, it's light, it doesn't fall, I can stick it on quickly with a big brush. Sorted.

Cleanser, I'm using the Ren range to take the make-up off in the evening, all working well, I like that stuff, and went mad and got their lovely rose bodywash as well.

Moisturiser, have yet to find one that suits, all seem very thick and give me spots, but I've started using the L'occitane comforting oil after the shower for about a month, and before bed. My skin is lovely and soft from it. Using my spf on top of that in the mornings, no moisturizer.

Exfoliation I think I need one now. Maybe it's my age, or all these changes, but my cheeks are feeling a bit dry, and there are flakey bits of skin appearing. I've tried both of the REN exfoliators (got them as samples when I ordered the cleanser online), but my cheeks are going red, feeling sore/tight/sensitive and dry from that. Plain warm washcloth isn't doing much for them, dry skin remains, and I feel like the oil isn't going in to my skin just there.

So, beauty people, what's my exfoliator for sensitive red/prone skin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Dermologicia have a very good range for older skin. The exfoliator is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't use exfoliator. Always gives me spots. My skin just doesn't react well too it. Although, I really would like to try some more gentle exfoliators.

I have heard good things about the Clarins "chemical" exfoliator. Supposed to be better for your skin or something. Clarins. Also heard the Dermalogica one is supposed to be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Dermalogica and indeed both do a enzyme exfoliator which in my mind are the exact same and are really good. The indeed one is reasonable priced snd is available in boots. They last for ages.

• Advertisement

Dermologicia have a very good range for older skin. The exfoliator is excellent.

I hope I'm a few decades away from being in the 'older skin' bracket, I'm in my mid-thirties. :)

I'll try to get a sample of the dermalogica. When you've sensitive skin, trialling products gets very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Pwurple I know you were saying you changed foundation but just eondering are you still using that spf. I used that spf for ages and it's really good but stopped using it as it was dissolving my makeup. I am now using the keihks one but I am still on the lookout for a good spf for under makeup!!

pwurple wrote: »
    I hope I'm a few decades away from being in the 'older skin' bracket, I'm in my mid-thirties. :)

I'll try to get a sample of the dermalogica. When you've sensitive skin, trialling products gets very expensive.

Haha I should have clarified on that point sorry. I suggested the older skin range for 2 reasons- firstly like you I have sensitive skin and their older/aging skin range is very gentle and one of the few that doesn't cause a reaction for me.
    Secondly older skin generally refers to 40+ so we are pretty close to that unfortunately! It just means we need to look after our skin a bit more than someone in their 20's.

Does your beautician stock dermalogicia? They won't have a problem giving you a few samples.

molly09 wrote: »
    Pwurple I know you were saying you changed foundation but just eondering are you still using that spf. I used that spf for ages and it's really good but stopped using it as it was dissolving my makeup. I am now using the keihks one but I am still on the lookout for a good spf for under makeup!!

I'm using the la roche posay one. Factor 30.

http://www.laroche-posay.co.uk/product-treatments/Anthelios/Anthelios-AC-SPF-30-Matte-Fluid-p10034.aspx

Pwrple this is a months trial and a decent price. It's the dermologicia products I recommended before with a few other goodies. Might be worth it to see how it works for you.

http://www.dermalogica.ie/ir/html/products/age-smart-reg-starter-kit-105.html?type=function&cat=skin+kits

• Advertisement

Thanks, too many products there for me (totally intimidated by those tbh!), but I'll definitely ask at my local beauty salon at the weekend when I'm getting my brows done for samples of the exfoliator.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

pwurple wrote: »
    Thanks, too many products there for me (totally intimidated by those tbh!), but I'll definitely ask at my local beauty salon at the weekend when I'm getting my brows done for samples of the exfoliator.

Just read your original thread and all the responses. Good information and suggestions from all. This might be something you have already done but if you haven't may I suggest you

1. List the 3 products that caused the most adverse reaction
    2. List all the ingredients against the relevant item
    3. Circle the ingredients that are common

The circled ingredients might tell you what your skin is allergic to - it is time consuming but it just might be the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

There's a huge amount of hype atm about a blogger who used her boyfriends Nivea aftershave balm as a primer and said it worked wonders, and is like 7 quid for a bottle that would last you months!! Definitely going to look into that!

Gah, just tried Roc exfoliator, friend swears by it and gave me a bit. Max resurface or something. That was a mistake.

My cheeks are like bosco.

Good news is that aveno emoliant takes down the reaction a bit.

I am pinning high hopes on dermaolgica.

Gah, just tried Roc exfoliator, friend swears by it and gave me a bit. Max resurface or something. That was a mistake.

My cheeks are like bosco.

Good news is that aveno emoliant takes down the reaction a bit.

I am pinning high hopes on dermaolgica.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I don't use exfoliator. Always gives me spots. My skin just doesn't react well too it. Although, I really would like to try some more gentle exfoliators.

In all my 71 years I have never used an exfoliator and whilst I have been tempted I don't think I will succumb. I use a soft sponge and gently rub my face with aloe vera gel a few times a month and rinse with cool water.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

There's a huge amount of hype atm about a blogger who used her boyfriends Nivea aftershave balm as a primer and said it worked wonders, and is like 7 quid for a bottle that would last you months!! Definitely going to look into that!
    Add your reply here.

This thing is from a few years in America. Only making its way over here now. I tried it didn't work. Dried out my skin and made me smell like a teenage boy. If anything my makeup lasted less time.

What I do know is that another makeup artist came out with a statement at the time claiming that the original blogger/youtuber only said it as a way of proving that her followers would believe anything she said. No idea if that's true or not. But there are thousands out there who claim it works for them however it didn't work for me.
    If it does work for you the bottle is massive and would take months to run out.

Yesterday, chatted to the skin person at the beauty therapists, and she gave me a few samples of dermalogica.

I have the daily microfoliant, and a barrier repair cream samples. She said from looking at my skin (and tried a few things on it, saw reactions etc) that the Ultracalming set would be the best for me.
    http://www.dermalogica.ie/ir/html/products/ultracalming-treatment-kit-132.html?type=function&cat=skin+kits

Gave me a blast of the ultracalm spray mist, which was actually brilliant. took down any reaction straight away. MIght buy that one for travelling etc, but will leave it a few months.

I've used the microfoliant sample once, and while fairly faffy (mixing powder into a paste in my hand) it definitely suits me so far. No redness from it, and skin felt very clean, no bits of dry skin hanging around. I don't want to overdo it. She said it can be used everyday, but I think once a week would do me.

I popped the barrier cream on, as I was out in the wind and cold all afternoon yesterday, and was gardening all this morning. Skin today feels so much better than it has in ages. Normally I'd be very dry and a bit red from the high winds and stress from hauling things around, but it's all smooth and calm instead.

Impressed with the barrier and the exfoliant anyway. I guess I am quite hard on my skin, outdoors in our weather a good bit, travel and sleep disruption, in and out of controlled environments, aircon, pressurised hoods etc, so a bit of extra protection won't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I've got sensitive rosacea prone skin since my early 30's and after much trial and error I've found a series of products that work really well. Unfortunately, dermalogica despite how it is marketed is not great for sensitive skin. I used to use it all the time until I started reading up on rosacea and realised it has a lot of ingredients which are irritants to sensitive skin.

Try a balm as a first cleanse in the evening especially if you wear spf and makeup. Boots botanicals balm gets good reviews and it's probably the cheapest. I'm using Clinique take the day off. Then I use a Clinique redness solution but lrp have a good toleraine cleanser with no perfume etc. use a decent facecloth for cleaning your face. After that I use an acid toner like nip +fab pads. Then I spray lrp serozinc ( the most fanastic product for sensitive skin and only €11!). Then a serum like Vichy aqualia and on top an oil such as jojoba, trilogy rose hip.
    In the morning I cleanse once with my Clinique or lrp. The serozinc, aqualia serum and moisturiser. I'm using lrp hydrsphase at the moment and no bad reaction. It has sod which is probably enough for winter. If it's a particularly windy or cold day I'll use lrp cicaplast over my moisturiser as a barrier.
    For foundation I'm using bourjois healthy mix serum which I find great for my skin. I hate heavy foundations.
    Another thing I realised is that spf can irritate my skin so I try to use a zinc/titanium based on like Clinique city block spf25 and then I have no reaction.

3 great resources for info on skincare are Caroline hirons (ignore that she loves super expensive products), beauty pedia (should appeal to the science side of you) and Sali Hughes in the guardian.

LinF wrote: »
    In all my 71 years I have never used an exfoliator and whilst I have been tempted I don't think I will succumb. I use a soft sponge and gently rub my face with aloe vera gel a few times a month and rinse with cool water.

I have succumbed! I use a Monsia facial cleansing brush instead of a sponge but I still use the aloe vera gel (squeezed from homegrown plant). It does a better job than the sponge but I only exfoliate once every 2 weeks - so far it is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Hi OP - just going back to your original post when you said you use suncream under your make up - are you using regular suncream or something specific for the face?

Even within facial suncreams I find some of them too oily. I now use the Image spf 50 under my doublewear and it lasts well. The Kiehls spf 50 is also quite good. I wouldnt stop using some soft of spf cream for any reason, long term its just too important.

I also (when i have time/can be bothered) finish off with some of the MakeUp Forever HD powder. Its so incredibly fine that it won't make you look caked.

Maybe give that a while because I'm the same age with similar sounding skin and I use the same foundation as you :)

Advertisement