Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open a UK Bank Account from Ireland

• 18-04-2008 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I need to open a UK bank account but I live in Dublin-anyone know if I can do this over the phone and by post, or even if it's possible?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 sTuMbLeD

I'm fairly certain you need an address in the country you want to set up an account in, and probably some utility bills too, but check the eligibility criteria on the application form of any bank you are considering, it might be spelled out there.

I had friends who came to work in Ireland last summer and got work OK, but bit of hassle getting paid as employer wanted an account to pay into, but bank wouldn't give them one coz they hadn't utility bills with their names on it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Fraid you'll have to be there, for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

You would have to live in a UK address and be able to provide full proof of this and proof of ID. The money laundering laws in the UK are the same as here as regards ID AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Cheers for the replies guys. Ended up getting a bus up to Newry. Ulsterbank sorted me out very quickly. Pain in the balls, but had to be done.

My sort code for my UB branch here is 98....something and the Newry branch is 98....something else. Why wouldn't my new employer be able to pay into my ROI account? It seems strange!

You might think so..but it doesn't work like that alas:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 CrossReach

Hi,

I'm interested in this. Did you have an Ulster Bank account already in Dublin?

Was it easy to get it in Newry? Did you have to transfer your account to Newry or do you have two accounts now?

Sorry for the questions. I've been contemplating this and I want to know the journey would be worth it.

Thanks
    cunnins4 wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies guys. Ended up getting a bus up to Newry. Ulsterbank sorted me out very quickly. Pain in the balls, but had to be done.

My sort code for my UB branch here is 98....something and the Newry branch is 98....something else. Why wouldn't my new employer be able to pay into my ROI account? It seems strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

you do not need a uk address to open a uk bank account.
    not sure if you can do it by post or not but you will need to provide

2 proofs of address (bank statement from a bank with your irish address, credit card statement with same irish address or any other suitable proofs)
    1 valid proof of identity (irish passport will do) having 2 forms of id will also help ( e.g driving licence)

RBS offered me to open a bank account on my irish address when i first moved over here as i had no proof of address in the uk ( this is how i know its possible )

other banks have some ridiculous policies, for example needing to have 3 years uk banking history before they will even talk to you.....

FT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

you do not need a uk address to open a uk bank account.
    not sure if you can do it by post or not but you will need to provide

2 proofs of address (bank statement from a bank with your irish address, credit card statement with same irish address or any other suitable proofs)
    1 valid proof of identity (irish passport will do) having 2 forms of id will also help ( e.g driving licence)

RBS offered me to open a bank account on my irish address when i first moved over here as i had no proof of address in the uk ( this is how i know its possible )

other banks have some ridiculous policies, for example needing to have 3 years uk banking history before they will even talk to you.....

FT

I was in the same position as you when i first moved to the uk. As i was attending university the banks were 'oddly' falling over themselves to set us up on campus.

While i think it is true that the uk banks are more consumer friendly in this aspect (i found it much harder to open a new acc after moving back) i dont think they will flat out open an account if you are permanent irish resident. Am i right in saying that you are now living in the uk?, i think they opened an acc for you based on the fact that you were or were going to be a resident in the uk for a significant amount of time.

I moved back to ireland a few years back and still hold an acc with lloyds tsb, got cc and isa with them also. I still go back to uk at least 4 times a year so its handy. They have my full time address in ireland and send all correspondence here. Having said this, i fear that if i (or my acc) was subjected to a more intense scrutiny they might ask for it to be closed. As it happens, im sure they are happy to take the 8.95 per month in acc fees out of my acc.

Im havent fully got my finger on the pulse of it these days regarding opening a new uk based acc but i am interested in the option of opening an ulster bank acc up north. Coincidentally, i just moved to them from halifax, opened an acc in 5 mins and had debit card through the post within a week. Does anyone know if ulster banks in the north hold the acc's in both euro and pound denominations?........all im asking here really is, would both ulster acc's have potential to be linked or is it straight up one euro acc in the south and one pound acc in the north?.......ie, 2 cards, one in euro, one in sterling, both with same permanent ROI address?

If anyone could clarify any of the above for me it would be much appreciated, allthough il probably pop into the branch early next week.

all im asking here really is, would both ulster acc's have potential to be linked or is it straight up one euro acc in the south and one pound acc in the north?.......ie, 2 cards, one in euro, one in sterling, both with same permanent ROI address?

The latter :)

daithijjj wrote: »

While i think it is true that the uk banks are more consumer friendly in this aspect (i found it much harder to open a new acc after moving back) i dont think they will flat out open an account if you are permanent irish resident. Am i right in saying that you are now living in the uk?, i think they opened an acc for you based on the fact that you were or were going to be a resident in the uk for a significant amount of time.

i am currently living in the uk.
    they did not inquire as to how long i intended to stay. i asked did i need to be resident to open the account and they said no. they said anyone can open an account as long as they meet the identificaiton citeria need for anti fraud measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

i am currently living in the uk.
    they did not inquire as to how long i intended to stay. i asked did i need to be resident to open the account and they said no. they said anyone can open an account as long as they meet the identificaiton citeria need for anti fraud measures.

Things have changed a bit so since i moved to the uk. How many banks did you try before RBS just out of interest?. Most of the banks require you to have a job and a lease agreement or have proof you will be a student for a full academic year etc before they will talk to you.

I was with natwest as a student but the account was opened on university campus, had that for 3 years, moved to lloyds tsb. Even with my 3 year history with natwest i had issues getting a new account. Had to get a friend to come in who was uk born and act as a guarantor on the account. (and i had been working for 36 months at that stage and had a national insurance number etc)

tried santander also - wouldnt talk to me without 3 years uk banking history
    tried AIB but they dont do personal banking in the uk
    also tried lloyds tsb ( easiest to open an account )

things have changed then,
    lloyds tsb seem to be the easiest to get an account with now.

all you need is a EU passport for them, nothing else
    no utility bill required no other form of id, no NI number. simples.

FT

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

Looking around for a bank account in the uk, couldn't find out how tom open it from Ireland. Sending money over once over there is a waste of time, the banks will rip you off in the exchange rate.

Opened an account with Transfermate in Dublin, booked and held the exchange rate, opened a bank account through quickstartuk and transferred.

Very handy for anyone moving over, check with your bank and compare rates obviously but very easy the whole process

cooper38..please don't drag up almost year old threads, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement