Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AC solar panels, anyone used them?

Options
  • 11-05-2014 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

As per title, anyone any comments on them? they look more managable if your not looking to store power...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

What exactly are you talking about? Solar panels with mini inverters attached?
    Or something different.

AC panels? :confused:
    No such thing.

I'd rather spec a separate inverter so I have some quality assurance.

Voltage drop is not an issue exclusive to DC it's a percentage loss relative to available voltage. I'd just up the conductor size or the generator voltage if it's an issue. Inverter losses on every module sounds messy.

Over 50VAC means you legally require a sparks to install them...DC is a bittova grey area I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Yes, these have small inverters attached. The beauty is you can easily add on as a modular system. If, (and they are reliable apparantly) the invertor malfunctions, the other panels function as normal.
    I take it nobody on here uses them? A group in Newry Co Down supply them.

http://www.phonosolar.com/EN/ACModules.html

All solar modules are modular.
    I prefer big-a$s reliable pure sine wave, swiss-made inverters with a decent conversion efficiency myself.
    I'd be interested to know the conversion losses on the end of the line of the system you are inquiring about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

All solar modules are modular.
    I prefer big-a$s reliable pure sine wave, swiss-made inverters with a decent conversion efficiency myself.
    I'd be interested to know the conversion losses on the end of the line of the system you are inquiring about.

You'll need to read the data sheet on the link.

This system is more modular, in the sense that you can go from 250watt to 4Kw as funds allow, without the need for upgrading your inverter wattage in between.

Your idea of an efficient one off inverter is not better than several smaller ones. The cumulative effect of smaller ones are more efficient and proven, especially with shading,cloud edge etc

• Advertisement

I didn't say one inverter. I'd prefer 3 actually; low, mid, high or low, mid and mid. I'm still deciding the best stand-alone battery system. AC coupling seems to have a lot of potential but I'm still researching. I'm thinking put the DC generators on the DC loads and the AC generators on the AC loads at present...should save some energy not heating electronics.
    Here's a thread with some good links.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

There are a few companies offering micro inverters that mount on the module. I only know of one of them have the EN50438 certification required in Ireland. The only application I would think they are useful or is where there is partial shading. Modules generally last for at least 25 years, whereas inverters are generally only guaranteed for ten. Do you really want to get up on the roof if an inverter fails?

I would prefer to have an inverter on the wall where I can get at it and see what's happening. I would also prefer to have my panels in series and get the voltage up a bit to reduce cable losses.

I've done some AC coupled systems. Works well. My own turbine and modules are all DC so I'm kinda stuck with that, but I would like to move to AC coupled. My turbine cable had to be 70mm to keep losses < 10%... Nobody was talking about AC coupling at the time.

DC turbine? Rectified surely?
    How retrofittable are those Provens? Could you pull the bridge rectifier and install new coils?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

DC turbine? Rectified surely?
    How retrofittable are those Provens? Could you pull the bridge rectifier and install new coils?
    Yes - rectifier, but its a 24V DC system, and there aren't grid tie inverters that would work with such low voltage. Even at 48V, I'd be hard pressed... I guess I could do a rewind, but probably not worth the bother. On the plus side the Midnite Classic, which I use for solar happens to do a nice power point tracking table option for wind turbines, but mine is a tad too big.

Those new MPPT wind controllers look the business. Yeah I'd leave well-enough alone too. You'd lose the certification on a modified turbine.
    On the bright side if you ever have to retire it, god forbid, the inflation on that fine conductor of your's might pay for the repairs. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement