Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jayjayxxx

anytime from end of this month. but i'd advice u 2 get a form just incase everyone who applied before is supposed to get it automatically..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

i did get it last year just find it strange no one has a letter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

jayjayxxx wrote: »
    i was told if u got it last year and ur circumstances r the same u would recieve it automatically into ur local post office.

How will they know your circumstances are the same unless you fill out a form!?

they would have everyone on record i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You're giving the government a little bit too much faith here...

If that were the case would they not just go through the DSFA records and give the payment to everyone who is on the list with children of school going age the payment automatically?

• Advertisement

as its from the social they will have all up to date records and i will imagine that it will be paid with your child benefit in july

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭easy1

I receive today a letter,saying when Back to School payment will be available to collect with my Social Welfare payment .
    My friends also got letter today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭upinthesky

easy1 wrote: »
    I receive today a letter,saying when Back to School payment will be available to collect with my Social Welfare payment .
    My friends also got letter today.
    great news so i take it anyone that does not get there letter by the end of the week should apply for the form hope i get one it would be so much easier!

no letter here..... will you be getting it this week in your social welfare and i get paid into bank so i guess it will be in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭katiebelle

Got no letter yet but hopefully will did not actually get the allowance last year until start of October. Heres hoping I get the letter soon. Thanks for all the really great info on this one people , much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackmax

no letter here either today :( at least some people are getting theirs now so we know they are on the way hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

My sister has received this payment the last two years and hasn't received any letters yet, either. Nor have two of her friends.

Seems ridiculous to tell people they will be notified in mid-June, yet very few people seem to have gotten any notification as of yet.

If this decision was made to supposedly speed up the process and decrease the backlogs, come the 1st July, I reckon they will be almost as bad as they were before they brought this new measure in, if they don't pull their socks up and start letting people know where they stand!

What's the point in setting themselves a deadline if they aren't able to deliver on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 im a believer

i just rang the "helpline" got automated answer says that if you dont get a letter by the end of this month you need to apply as usual, just a few days left then!keeping my fingers crossed cause i dont want to go through the ordeal again!! is a brilliant help to low income families but surely the process could be made easier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I recieved a phonecall from a friend who claimed their cousin got it. A bit long winded I know but as I got it last year and forgot all about it this year, I popped around to my local post office and it was in there for me today.

i just rang the "helpline" got automated answer says that if you dont get a letter by the end of this month you need to apply as usual, just a few days left then!keeping my fingers crossed cause i dont want to go through the ordeal again!! is a brilliant help to low income families but surely the process could be made easier.

I think they were aiming to make it easier with this new system. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to to be working too well and is just causing a lot of confusion as far as I can see.

I sent the text. No point in waiting. If I get the payment in the meantime great but if I don't I want that form asap. I don't want to be waiting till October to be paid again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Received Letter today confirming payment with Social Welfare payment week commencing 26th June 2011. Thank God. Can get things bought and packed away for September.

Yawns wrote: »
    I recieved a phonecall from a friend who claimed their cousin got it. A bit long winded I know but as I got it last year and forgot all about it this year, I popped around to my local post office and it was in there for me today.

Did you get a letter telling you it would be there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Have heard nothing and i have always been anal about the form same day i received it its filled in and sent off getting a lil bit worried here

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

I've never received this before but I'm in receipt of maternity benefit this year so I believe I can avail of it this time round. Is any documentation required to be submitted with the form, e.g. proof of social welfare payment, letter from school etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ Giana Unimportant Nitroglycerine

Also got a letter today saying that it will be available to collect during the week commencing 26/06/11, thank god, can go and get uniforms/books sorted Friday and out of the way for the "summer".

I do think it's strange though that we didn't have to fill out a form, I mean how do they know whether circumstances have changed? They haven't, but still.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Did you get a letter telling you it would be there?

Nope no letter. I moved at the end of last year to a different county too :D

I completely forgot about it. No letter arrived or anything. Just received a phone call from someone who said someone else got it so as I was in the town I popped into my local post office and it was there.

Social welfare are looking after it now so they have all our details on the computer so thats how they know things are still the same.

I did have to provide some documentation when I applied last year and the year before. You may have to but it should say on the form or they will write to you telling you what they need. There should be a valid phone number manned by an actual person at some stage so if you are not sure send off the form and ring and ask them if they have all they need. It can drag on otherwise

Alot of people I know recieved it today so i checked and it wasn't there.. I have got it the last 4 years so don't understand why it wasn't there

Plus a million in having an actual person answering the phone on the other side another thing that's really passed me off today!

Alot of people I know recieved it today so i checked and it wasn't there.. I have got it the last 4 years so don't understand why it wasn't there

Same boat here

• Registered Users Posts: 26 zumi

I haven't seen the 'letter' yet either, I hope Im one of the lucky few to get the 'letter' as if I remember correctly the 2 month minimum wait from before to get the allowance which lands me arseways rushing around in September troving through the leftovers and kids going to school missing books.
    I think its brilliant that Social Welfare supply these badly needed funds and are streamlining the system to save money and make it more efficient but it seems to me from my own experience that they have the same organisation communication skills and workings as the inside of Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.

Yawns wrote: »
    Nope no letter. I moved at the end of last year to a different county too :D

I completely forgot about it. No letter arrived or anything. Just received a phone call from someone who said someone else got it so as I was in the town I popped into my local post office and it was there.

so it wasnt paid with your social welfare like a few others

i just don't want to wait til september when some books won't be available.

• Advertisement

i just don't want to wait til september when some books won't be available.

exactly if no letter by friday il text the number

Advertisement