Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jenzx007

Hey everyone,
    I have had my phone interview with Sabis and got on pretty well just want to know what the face to face interview is like?????Also I want to live in the UAE either Dubai or Abu Dhabi is that easy to get???Can you request to live with somebody you know??

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Hi, can anyone tell me about the accommodation? Is it your own place or do you have to share it with others? Are all teachers staying in same apartment block or estate or whatever it is? Anyone ended up with a crap place or are they all nice places? Does it include internet?

And can you tell me the typical school year calendar? Starts in August, ends in June but what about holidays in between?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Katy_B

thebuzz wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone tell me about the accommodation? Is it your own place or do you have to share it with others? Are all teachers staying in same apartment block or estate or whatever it is? Anyone ended up with a crap place or are they all nice places? Does it include internet?

And can you tell me the typical school year calendar? Starts in August, ends in June but what about holidays in between?

Thanks.

Hi you usually share with one or two people and its mostly teachers in the apartment blocks. The place might include internet but alot of people have to set it up once they get here which is easy enough to sort out.

The school year starts in September until June and you have holidays at Christmas and Easter. Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 shellywelly25

Im really interested in teaching somewhere in the UAE. I have sent my CV to Uteach and im on a list. however I am only teaching since 2011 and usually u need 2yrs experience !! Does this also apply to Sabis ?? I have never heard of them until I saw this thread. I went onto there site and filled in the contact form , do I just wait for them to get back to me???

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ilona89

Hey guys, teaching with sabis in Abu Dhabi at the moment, if you leave after one year do you still receive your 12 month salary and governmental increment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭M442

ilona89 wrote: »
    Hey guys, teaching with sabis in Abu Dhabi at the moment, if you leave after one year do you still receive your 12 month salary and governmental increment?
    Hey as far as I know if you leave after one year you receive the 12 month salary and I think an increment of 3 weeks for every year you worked. I think those who left at the end of last year got about 5000 euro when they finished in June. Hope this helps.
    To anyone thinking of coming out net year I think its worth it. In fairness some people get unlucky and have bad classes but most of the people who came to my school in August are planning on staying a second year. It is hard work and the system can be ridiculous at times but it is a great opportunity to travel and save money (which is possible despite what people say!!). There is a lot of negative press about Sabis on the internet but what you read on the web are the worst stories that are out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sparklyEyes111

M442 wrote: »
    Hey as far as I know if you leave after one year you receive the 12 month salary and I think an increment of 3 weeks for every year you worked. I think those who left at the end of last year got about 5000 euro when they finished in June. Hope this helps.
    To anyone thinking of coming out net year I think its worth it. In fairness some people get unlucky and have bad classes but most of the people who came to my school in August are planning on staying a second year. It is hard work and the system can be ridiculous at times but it is a great opportunity to travel and save money (which is possible despite what people say!!). There is a lot of negative press about Sabis on the internet but what you read on the web are the worst stories that are out there.

5000? What?!? Im nearly certain my friend didn't get that much. . ? I though you only get the bonus for finishing 2 years. . ?! That you get your 2 months extra pay and thats it. . ??

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭M442

5000? What?!? Im nearly certain my friend didn't get that much. . ? I though you only get the bonus for finishing 2 years. . ?! That you get your 2 months extra pay and thats it. . ??
    As far as I know you would have the pay for three months (June, July and August), that would come to 4500 and then I think you get 3 weeks pay for every year you work, so that should bring it up to just over 5000. I think thats what they got last year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shenay

Hey, I have already had my telephone interview with Sabis and it went pretty well (I think!) I'm just wondering has anyone else heard back if they have gotten a face to face interview yet with them? I don't even know when this interview is supposed to be although I heard it was this month some time. Thaaanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eoinmjmac

Shenay wrote: »
    Hey, I have already had my telephone interview with Sabis and it went pretty well (I think!) I'm just wondering has anyone else heard back if they have gotten a face to face interview yet with them? I don't even know when this interview is supposed to be although I heard it was this month some time. Thaaanks :)

Hey,

I got the phone interview in Nov. I emailed them last week and they told me that the face to face interviews were to begin in mid March for Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Shenay

Thanks a mill! Did they tell you if you got through to interviews yet? See they haven't told me or my friends if we even got an interview yet which I'm worried about, and seeing as the telephone interview went good I'm wondering if I should email them and see if I have an interview :)

Shenay wrote: »
    Thanks a mill! Did they tell you if you got through to interviews yet? See they haven't told me or my friends if we even got an interview yet which I'm worried about, and seeing as the telephone interview went good I'm wondering if I should email them and see if I have an interview :)
    Eh they don't really tell you over the phone from what I gather. The seemed to be very happy with me on the phone interview and kept in contact since. They have told me that I will be called for face to face but they havent scheduled any date as of yet. So I wouldnt be too worried yet :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carolmarx

I had my phone interview yesterday, now just doing the whole sending off of passport copy/degree! He told me I'd be called for an interview in March, and that he'll give me ample notice because I'll be travelling from Edinburgh. I know some people who are already out there and one girl didn't know she had a face to face until two days before (she had her telephone interview in November!) so I wouldn't worry about not knowing yet! Does anyone know if I'll need to get a translation of my degree as it's in Latin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Power43

carolmarx wrote: »
    I had my phone interview yesterday, now just doing the whole sending off of passport copy/degree! He told me I'd be called for an interview in March, and that he'll give me ample notice because I'll be travelling from Edinburgh. I know some people who are already out there and one girl didn't know she had a face to face until two days before (she had her telephone interview in November!) so I wouldn't worry about not knowing yet! Does anyone know if I'll need to get a translation of my degree as it's in Latin?

Hey Carol I think Sabis accept just an officialy document stating you have graduated. I contacted UCD and they emailed me a simple document stating my degree completion as my degree is in latin also. I don't think it matters that much either way to be honest.

I had phone interview's for a job in Sharjah but just yesterday they mailed me about a recent vacancy for an English teacher in Doha, Qatar. Did anyone else get an e-mail or have interviews for Sharjah? I'm having mixed feelings about going the more I read into it. The pro's and con's are fluctuating!!

Power43 wrote: »
    Hey Carol I think Sabis accept just an officialy document stating you have graduated. I contacted UCD and they emailed me a simple document stating my degree completion as my degree is in latin also. I don't think it matters that much either way to be honest.

I had phone interview's for a job in Sharjah but just yesterday they mailed me about a recent vacancy for an English teacher in Doha, Qatar. Did anyone else get an e-mail or have interviews for Sharjah? I'm having mixed feelings about going the more I read into it. The pro's and con's are fluctuating!!

Thanks for that! For what it's worth, I don't have any personal experience with Sabis but I know a girl who did 2 years in Doha and one in Abu Dhabi and she has mostly good things to say...The impression I get is that there's little input from teachers into anything and you are just a worker. That doesn't bother me as I'm not, nor am I looking to become a teacher long term. I too am having mixed feelings but the more I think about it the more I see it being a better alternative to sitting here contemplating what I want to do next!

Thanks for that! For what it's worth, I don't have any personal experience with Sabis but I know a girl who did 2 years in Doha and one in Abu Dhabi and she has mostly good things to say...The impression I get is that there's little input from teachers into anything and you are just a worker. That doesn't bother me as I'm not, nor am I looking to become a teacher long term. I too am having mixed feelings but the more I think about it the more I see it being a better alternative to sitting here contemplating what I want to do next!

Yeah I think its basically start at the bottom kinda thing. But in fairness, they are taking on non-experienced, non-licensed teachers so lays a path to give them some leeway. Although I hope we are not totally abused work-wise! I mainly applied to get away from Ireland and travel whilst also potentially saving to go back and do a MA or HDip. I agree, it seems to be a definite better solution! Where are you hoping to teach?

Yeah I think its basically start at the bottom kinda thing. But in fairness, they are taking on non-experienced, non-licensed teachers so lays a path to give them some leeway. Although I hope we are not totally abused work-wise! I mainly applied to get away from Ireland and travel whilst also potentially saving to go back and do a MA or HDip. I agree, it seems to be a definite better solution! Where are you hoping to teach?

The girl I mentioned earlier addressed my concerns about being abused work wise, she said it's basically like working anywhere else, you go in do your work and you go home. She said she rarely got asked for extra hours or anything and there were opportunities to help out with the kids extracurriculars if she wanted, and pay was always on time. In order of preference I want to teach in; UAE, Qatar, Bahrain. To be honest Dubai doesn't really do it for me would rather somewhere else in the UAE I think or Qatar. What about yourself?

The girl I mentioned earlier addressed my concerns about being abused work wise, she said it's basically like working anywhere else, you go in do your work and you go home. She said she rarely got asked for extra hours or anything and there were opportunities to help out with the kids extracurriculars if she wanted, and pay was always on time. In order of preference I want to teach in; UAE, Qatar, Bahrain. To be honest Dubai doesn't really do it for me would rather somewhere else in the UAE I think or Qatar. What about yourself?

If you put it like this ; free accommodation, free travel expenses, nice weather and lifetime experience, the idea of working is overshadowed. I'd rather spend one year out living life rather than pitying myself in Ireland being regretful. I think Dubai is first BUT only because I know some people out there and they are enjoying it, having friends there is kind of a plus! Whereas going to Qatar or Bahrain will be solely by myself.

I had a missed call today from Sabis but by the time I rang back their office hours were finished for the day. Anyone get contacted by them through phone? The suspense of what they wanted is killing me, although I'm sure it's nothing big! :P

Hey Carol, I got offered a job in Qatar, the contract was sent to me and all but I had to decline just today due to my current job contract still ongoing until early summer. I hope they are ringing you in regards to the vacancy :D
    I had a missed call today from Sabis but by the time I rang back their office hours were finished for the day. Anyone get contacted by them through phone? The suspense of what they wanted is killing me, although I'm sure it's nothing big! :P

• Advertisement

Hey Carol, I got offered a job in Qatar, the contract was sent to me and all but I had to decline just today due to my current job contract still ongoing until early summer. I hope they are ringing you in regards to the vacancy :D

Well it would want to be after you getting my hopes up!!Hahaha, congrats though for getting the offer! When were they wanting you to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Red-B

Has anyone applied for Oman? I had my telephone interview last week and was told I'd hear within a week or two. He also asked me if I was to have a face to face interview would I prefer Limerick or Dublin. I see someone else has said these are mid march so just wondering if anyone has been called?

I only sent my video CV just today. They never asked for it in the interview but thought it's always better to be one step ahead.

Good luck to the rest of you :)

Hey. Has anyone heard anything about the face to face interviews yet? Limerick or Dublin ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kirstk86

wow... I was really excited and eager to get a position but now I am really confused about SABIS after reading some of the posts.. I was supposed to have a telephone interview last wednesday but it got cancelled..20 mins later.. now I have one on Monday and I am having serious issues regarding my video cv. I made it on imovie on my mac but every time i try to load it onto the SABIS page it says PLEASE WAIT...... then does nothing... can anyone let me know if they have had this problem also?.. or could suggest a way to upload it overwise?. I've tried to ask for assistance by email but they keep avoiding my question... can any1 help?? :eek:

kirstk86 wrote: »
    wow... I was really excited and eager to get a position but now I am really confused about SABIS after reading some of the posts.. I was supposed to have a telephone interview last wednesday but it got cancelled..20 mins later.. now I have one on Monday and I am having serious issues regarding my video cv. I made it on imovie on my mac but every time i try to load it onto the SABIS page it says PLEASE WAIT...... then does nothing... can anyone let me know if they have had this problem also?.. or could suggest a way to upload it overwise?. I've tried to ask for assistance by email but they keep avoiding my question... can any1 help?? :eek:

Hey, I have applied to them also. I wouldn't take much notice about the negative reviews here, I have spoke to many people who have worked and are still working with Sabis and they love it. Yeah I had problems with the upload of the video CV aswell, it took me a few times. If you upload it to something like Dropbox and then open it on another computer, try and add it then that way. If this doesn't work and you haven't heard anything back from Sabis about the problem in the next two weeks, share the Dropbox video with the email address your in correspondance with. Hope this is some help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kirstk86

Hey,

Thanks Eoin... I have tried the dropbox suggestion and hopefully i will hear something back shortly! what a palava!!!! it better be worth it in the end!!:)

eoinmjmac wrote: »
    Hey, I have applied to them also. I wouldn't take much notice about the negative reviews here, I have spoke to many people who have worked and are still working with Sabis and they love it. Yeah I had problems with the upload of the video CV aswell, it took me a few times. If you upload it to something like Dropbox and then open it on another computer, try and add it then that way. If this doesn't work and you haven't heard anything back from Sabis about the problem in the next two weeks, share the Dropbox video with the email address your in correspondance with. Hope this is some help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 medo84

Hello,
    This is my first post on this forum. Please allow me to introduce myself a bit.
    I am vocal coach and Opera singer for past 14 years. I have been hired for many years by the national opera of my country (EU Country) and most famous and respected theater in my region.
    Two years ago, I got married from a man from Egypt and moved there, and right now I am the official vocal coach and choir master of Bibliotheca Alexandrina (library of Alexandria).
    For the past year and half, due to what's happening right now in Egypt it’s not so secure to live here as a foreigner aside that government stopped supporting western arts. They are too busy with doing things their way!! .
    Two weeks ago decided to search the Internet for an abroad job as a vocal coach music teacher and such as, I heard from everyone here that international schools pay well. One of the places I applied to be SABIS.
    After I did that within three days, they contacted me by email asking to upload video CV and fill some huge application with lots of odd Questions. Anyway, I have done this. They called me within the next few hours of my application asking about my husband's job. Also about My age and if I have children! Well! They didn't read all of this long application they asked me to fill or what? Ok let’s just ignore this.
    Right now, I got a second mail telling me the subsystem their pick up my mail, and I should wait for them to tell me if they arranged interview or some sort of , My question, here is :
    1: is it normal for them to contact me that quick? How quick it takes them to Does everything?
    2: why did they ask about my husband's job anyway? Maybe because he’s an Egyptian?
    3: how much they could offer someone like me “master degree and license. To teach by the EU and even my high school was musical high school “simply I didn't do anything in my life more than study singing, sing and teach singing.
    4: are they really interested in performing art or they are just Want any random to fill their ranks? I am coaching international contest students, And I have a great success rate “8/10” passed to finals maybe someone will get 1St Place in Germany in international schools contest . “It’s not finished yet”.
    5: last of all do I really trust all this terrifying review about SABIS or not! There are a lot of mixed views!
    Last thing if SABIS sincerely don’t gives much interest in performing art can you recommend me another place, which truly values this and in the Gulf / Middle East?
    In the end, I thank you all for reading my wall of text and wish you all good-luck hunting jobs.

Literally just got word that my interview is in Limerick Thursday week!

Yeah mine is next Monday. All the best with it

• Advertisement

Eoin is your's in Limerick too?
    Now the fun begins of trying to find the cheapest way there and back from Edinburgh without taking too much time off work! Good luck!

Advertisement