Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netherlands

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You mean I could apply for a dutch EHIC card for my child and get free GP care in Ireland with it? (my child is registered here) I forked out 55 to take her to the GP there at Xmas when we were home in Ire
    Yes. See here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Any idea which website to apply for dutch EHIC card? I know your got yours in Germany you said, so you probably don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Any idea which website to apply for dutch EHIC card? I know your got yours in Germany you said, so you probably don't know.

I'd assume to qualify for a dutch ehic you would need to obey the laws in that country so would need to get dutch health insurance.

Something to look into first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

You mean I could apply for a dutch EHIC card for my child and get free GP care in Ireland with it? (my child is registered here) I forked out 55 to take her to the GP there at Xmas when we were home in Ire

The Dutch EHIC should be on the back side of your health insurance card. Same with German, we have both as our insurance is German but we reside in NL- much to the delight of the doctor I signed up to here a few weeks ago :p. Can't speak for other countries, but I would assume that it is the same wherever you pay for your insurance. I don't think the Irish insurers are as joined up in their thinking yet but because insurance here is voluntary and not compulsory it might be a bit more difficult here.

Thanks for the HSE link aswell, I was wondering what the situation would be!!

I'd assume to qualify for a dutch ehic you would need to obey the laws in that country so would need to get dutch health insurance.

Something to look into first

ooooh harsh irelandrover...what are you trying to say!? :D:D
    FYI I have an A1 cert which means I'm exempt from the mandatory dutch health insurance requirement

But........ I recently went and got dutch h.i anyway coz of the babby - don't trust the dodgy expat Doc in Amsterdam with her care (it was grand when it was just for ourselves) and I don't think dutch GPs will take you on without dutch health insurance - well I didn't try I just had visions of some receptionist saying 'Computer says NO' if I tried.

I have 2 questions I'm hoping you fine people can help me with today. The first one is for a friend that has just moved here:
    1. Can you top up an anonymous OV Chipkaart online here or only at machines?
    2. This qn is for me - I recently signed up for a personal OV chipkaart (yellow one wiht my picture on it) I also signed up for and activated Automatic Reload. I want that when I am running for the train to Schipol on a Fri eve I don't have to go to the machine to top up - that there will always be enough to travel with NS on the card is that possible? Coz it looks like my card will only top up when it gets to 0 euro, but I need it to never drop below 20 euro to be able to travel with NS.

Thanks!!

• Advertisement

The Dutch EHIC should be on the back side of your health insurance card. QUOTE]

Nope it's not just checked. I'll contact the H.I company and see if I can get new cards with the Dutch EHIC on the back - would be handy to get free GP in Ire!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

ooooh harsh irelandrover...what are you trying to say!? :D:D
    FYI I have an A1 cert which means I'm exempt from the mandatory dutch health insurance requirement

But........ I recently went and got dutch h.i anyway coz of the babby - don't trust the dodgy expat Doc in Amsterdam with her care (it was grand when it was just for ourselves) and I don't think dutch GPs will take you on without dutch health insurance - well I didn't try I just had visions of some receptionist saying 'Computer says NO' if I tried.

I have 2 questions I'm hoping you fine people can help me with today. The first one is for a friend that has just moved here:
    1. Can you top up an anonymous OV Chipkaart online here or only at machines?
    2. This qn is for me - I recently signed up for a personal OV chipkaart (yellow one wiht my picture on it) I also signed up for and activated Automatic Reload. I want that when I am running for the train to Schipol on a Fri eve I don't have to go to the machine to top up - that there will always be enough to travel with NS on the card is that possible? Coz it looks like my card will only top up when it gets to 0 euro, but I need it to never drop below 20 euro to be able to travel with NS.

Thanks!!

Anonymous cards can be topped up online but then you have to go to a machine to activate it so easier to just use a top-up point in the first place
    https://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/reizen/ovchipkaartopladen/

If are are using the chipkaart to travel by train your minimum balance will automatically be EUR20. Info is here but in Dutch: http://www.ns.nl/reizigers/ovchipkaart/opladen--activeren/index.html

Anonymous cards can be topped up online but then you have to go to a machine to activate it so easier to just use a top-up point in the first place
    https://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/reizen/ovchipkaartopladen/

If are are using the chipkaart to travel by train your minimum balance will automatically be EUR20. Info is here but in Dutch: http://www.ns.nl/reizigers/ovchipkaart/opladen--activeren/index.html

Ledge Tuesday_Girl thanks a mil.
    I have already gone through that dutch page that you posted and even though I understand dutch I could not find anywhere that it stated that with automatic upload your min balance will always be 20 euro - could you perchance copy and paste the lines (in dutch) from that page where it says that?

I can see where it says your min balance has to be 20 to travel with NS 'Let op: Om te kunnen reizen bij NS dient u minimaal het instaptarief van € 20 op uw kaart te hebben staan ' but I don't see anywhere that it says with automatic upload that you min balance always will be 20. Do you have actual experience of this?

like here it says: Altijd de zekerheid dat er voldoende saldo op uw OV-chipkaart staat zonder daar ooit nog moeite voor te hoeven doen? Kies dan voor automatisch opladen. Zodra uw saldo lager is dan € 0 wordt er via uw bankrekening automatisch een vast bedrag op uw kaart bijgeschreven. Automatisch opladen kan alleen met een persoonlijke OV-chipkaart. Ook bij reizen met de trein zorgt u bij automatisch opladen voor voldoende saldo en kunt u dus altijd in- en uitchecken. Het opladen gebeurt automatisch bij de in- en uitcheckpaal.
    So it says it will top up when your saldo gets to 0, not 20?
    Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

Once your card is enabled for "Automatisch Opladen" and for travelling by train the card will automatically be loaded with credit as soon as it goes under the EUR20 minimum.

So the minimum opstaptarief applies as mentioned below, but it happens automatically instead of you manually doing it.

https://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/reizen/tarieven/instapenbasistarief/

I travelled for years like this, never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

What's the job situation like here at the moment for casual work, anyone know? Avoiding the obvious Amsterdam, like in Rotterdam, Utrecht, Eindhoven etc. Thanks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Lot of my mates here seem to be finding jobs easy in most cities! :) I applied for three part time jobs, in Amsterdam though, and got accepted for all three. So it's positive for sure from my point of view

I think I've mentioned this before but there seems to be a lot more activity on this thread now and wanted further opinion on people's experience with Dutch Nationals, personally.

I am quite dismayed that my view of them is tarnished more and more, they are really such unfriendly/cold people! I have a few Dutch mates now but again majority international expats. I just find that days you have experience in stores, streets or anywhere in public, their lack of manners and friendliness really puts you in a bad mood. Am I the only one who finds this very pronounced? It really affects me, I hate that I have to just stay in expat circles, it doesnt seem worth it to try with locals to become friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

shortys94 wrote: »
    I think I've mentioned this before but there seems to be a lot more activity on this thread now and wanted further opinion on people's experience with Dutch Nationals, personally.

I am quite dismayed that my view of them is tarnished more and more, they are really such unfriendly/cold people! I have a few Dutch mates now but again majority international expats. I just find that days you have experience in stores, streets or anywhere in public, their lack of manners and friendliness really puts you in a bad mood. Am I the only one who finds this very pronounced? It really affects me, I hate that I have to just stay in expat circles, it doesnt seem worth it to try with locals to become friends.

My gf (who is from Gelderland) has remarked on the opposite of this a few times in Ireland. How polite and friendly people working in shops are. Surprised me a bit at first, but I do see what she means now!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think you're mistaking unfriendliness for just being more direct and businesslike in their dealings. When I moved here from the Netherlands I had to get used (again, being English born) to having to engage in a bit of chit-chat first about the weather or whatever when dealing with people, whereas the Dutch attitude is more to get down to the business at hand straight away. They also don't beat around the bush when it comes to personal dealings either, if there's something they want to tell you they'll tell it to you straight, and not attempt to clothe it in subtleties or woolly language.

Another thing I found when I was there was that although I found it quite easy to make casual acquaintances, making close friends was much more difficult. Dutch people seem to form their 'vriendenkring' or circle of friends fairly early in life and it can be difficult to break in to that as an outsider later on. Beware though that once you do, I found they can become quite the opposite, i.e. very clingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Alun wrote: »
    I think you're mistaking unfriendliness for just being more direct and businesslike in their dealings. When I moved here from the Netherlands I had to get used (again, being English born) to having to engage in a bit of chit-chat first about the weather or whatever when dealing with people, whereas the Dutch attitude is more to get down to the business at hand straight away. They also don't beat around the bush when it comes to personal dealings either, if there's something they want to tell you they'll tell it to you straight, and not attempt to clothe it in subtleties or woolly language.

Another thing I found when I was there was that although I found it quite easy to make casual acquaintances, making close friends was much more difficult. Dutch people seem to form their 'vriendenkring' or circle of friends fairly early in life and it can be difficult to break in to that as an outsider later on. Beware though that once you do, I found they can become quite the opposite, i.e. very clingy.

Exactly my experience as well. The random chats about anything can become a bit disconcerting if you are not used to it anymore :)

Although I do find people working in shops and restaurants in Eindhoven a bit more outgoing than in the Hague or Amsterdam.

Alun wrote: »
    They also don't beat around the bush when it comes to personal dealings either, if there's something they want to tell you they'll tell it to you straight, and not attempt to clothe it in subtleties or woolly language.

you're certainly right there! I'm still recovering emotionally from the conversation I had at the coffee machine last week where a guy said to me 'Oh you already had a baby? Really, coz I thought you look pregnant now' (points at stomach)

you're certainly right there! I'm still recovering emotionally from the conversation I had at the coffee machine last week where a guy said to me 'Oh you already had a baby? Really, coz I thought you look pregnant now' (points at stomach)

He just sounds like a pr!ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I like small talk and beating around the bush, I feel like those can be the instances where you make new friends/relationships. I feel as if there is no spontaneity in Dutch culture.

I can message the expats and ask hey wanna meet up for a coffee or beer and most of the time its go. But with the Dutch they check their Google Calender or have to make an appointment. I know your argument will be that in this way you keep social appointments, but its so rigid!

Lot of my mates here seem to be finding jobs easy in most cities! :) I applied for three part time jobs, in Amsterdam though, and got accepted for all three. So it's positive for sure from my point of view

I don't believe in stereotyping any nation, based on my experience of living in different countries all nations have sound people, nasty people and everything else in between. From what I've heard making appointments far in advance and sticking to your agenda is a very dutch thing alright and I certainly agree with you regarding customer service or lack thereof in restaurants etc however I don't agree that dutch people are cold and unfriendly - I work with mostly dutch and they are very friendly, good craic - ok yes definitely blunt! - but by and large I find them quite similar to the irish.

I don't believe in stereotyping any nation, based on my experience of living in different countries all nations have sound people, nasty people and everything else in between. From what I've heard making appointments far in advance and sticking to your agenda is a very dutch thing alright and I certainly agree with you regarding customer service or lack thereof in restaurants etc however I don't agree that dutch people are cold and unfriendly - I work with mostly dutch and they are very friendly, good craic - ok yes definitely blunt! - but by and large I find them quite similar to the irish.

It also depends a lot on the part of the country .. Just like the big smoke vs the sticks :D

Lot of my mates here seem to be finding jobs easy in most cities! :) I applied for three part time jobs, in Amsterdam though, and got accepted for all three. So it's positive for sure from my point of view.

What sort of work? More importantly, in English or Dutch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭HardyBuckFan

South Holland - can anyone advise?
    Hi all, have read through all the pages, very interesting.
    My girlfriend (Dutch) lives in Maastricht and I am here in Dublin
    Am considering the move over there
    Have been there about 6 times and like it as a city
    Can anybody advise whether it would it be easy for me to get a job over there (or within an hour commute of there) considering I don't speak a word of Dutch
    I am a qualified accountant by trade with 5 years post qualified experience
    Thanks in advance all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Can anybody advise whether it would it be easy for me to get a job over there (or within an hour commute of there) considering I don't speak a word of Dutch

I think without Dutch you will have a lot of difficulty outside of North or South Holland. IN Holland you have a chance due to the volume of English speakers to set up independently, but Limburg is a different kettle of fish.

You'd probably be able to find more opportunities in Belgium or Germany than in Limburg. But that could still be easy commuting.

pajor wrote: »
    You'd probably be able to find more opportunities in Belgium or Germany than in Limburg. But that could still be easy commuting.

The only problem is the cross border transport down around those parts totally sucks. Its only really feasible if you have a car.

pajor wrote: »

Only with a car really, it's an hour by bus to Aachen from Maastricht (30/ 40 mins by car) and the train connections can be a bit patchy to Belgium. The only direct service to Maastricht is Liege and I haven't heard that there are many opportunities there. Noord Brabant is also an option though, living in Roermond and commuting to Eindhoven by train would be very viable.

Zuid Limburg is great because you're so close to the Drielandenpunt as long as you have a car but they have basically limited the border crossings for public transport to Venlo for Germany and Roosendaal for Belgium.

I suppose I did mean by car, considering how sparse public transport is around where I am.

I was going to suggest Belgium as well. For example a friend of mine was living in Antwerp for the last 5 years working there and he doesn't speak a word of dutch. Obviously Brussels would be grand. There's also lots of non-dutch speaking irish working in Wavre (GSK)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭HardyBuckFan

Thanks for all the replies
    Any job sites anybody could recommend so I could have a search

Thanks for all the replies
    Any job sites anybody could recommend so I could have a search

Indeed.nl
    Expatjobs.eu

• Advertisement

I think Monster.nl is probably a start, but ask your gf what she thinks- it can be really dependant on your area of expertise, number of languages spoken and your experience level. Maastricht is mostly academia, health and some IT in Eurocontrol. Eindhoven is IT, Physics and Engineering.

Advertisement