Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

surfacepower

• 17-12-2013 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hello,

I've just discovered these guys selling a new type of solar system, where they claims to be more efficient than the common solar system we have nowadays. Anybody has any opinion or experience about it? I wanted to have the hot water and central heating, anybody knows, roughly, how much it costs?
    I tried to look for information about them here and all I found was wind generator system.
    I need some sincere advises, as I am a complete noob and don't want to be fooled around by sales people :P

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

no idea

but a reminder that sunlight is free, so efficiency is not the be all and end all ;)

a less efficient system might be bigger but that doesn't tell you if it's more reliable or how the price compares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rickcv

I sent them an email asking for guiding prices and more information..Once I get these, I will share here. On their website they have live monitors from their actual clients showing the temperature of the water at the moment in the boiler etc, and it's very appealing..Hope it's just not only a good old advertisement strategy lol

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Ask for certified data to the relevant standards (EN standards or ETA for example) from an accredited body. Are the claims backed up by a favourable listing and associated data on the HARP database, Solar Keymark etc? How does it compare to other solar thermal systems when entered in DEAP, PHPP etc?

When I see a statement "It is designed for easy retrofit (or new construction) so can be utilised in a domestic home built in 1788 with 40 year old radiators as easily as a brand new home or factory."

..and it uses "daylight" rather than sunlight to do so, one phrase springs to mind: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

I see they claim the "HONE" product is listed on the HARP database. The only surfacepower listing therein is the SP501:
    http://www.surfacepower.com/certification.html
    http://www.seai.ie/Your_Building/BER/BER_Assessors/Technical/HARP_Database/Solar_Thermal/?f=1&man=Surface+Power

If this is their high performing solar collector, then it appears to have far worse performance (Lower efficiency and higher heat loss) then other solar collectors on HARP.

They also make claims that their system is not "solar thermal" and is able to carry out functions (such as space heating) that solar thermal isn't. I'm thinking this is a sales pitch without fact to back it up.

Thanks for the information MOTM. Very helpful. I didn't know about this database..I was checking that according to this database they tube has a lot of heat loss, compared to other companies..It turned me off a bit now..
    I see you know a lot about this subject, could you recommend me any solar system which is very efficient and not so expensive? I live with my partner in a 3 bedroom house in south dublin. Not sure, if that's enough to give an advice..
    Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

rickcv wrote: »
    I see you know a lot about this subject, could you recommend me any solar system which is very efficient and not so expensive? I live with my partner in a 3 bedroom house in south dublin. Not sure, if that's enough to give an advice..
    Thanks,

I don't have the answer to that I'm afraid. Maybe someone else here can chip in. However, you could do worse than working through say the top listed products on HARP and phone around for quotes.....

• Advertisement

Is it more efficient the solar system or the wind turbines?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rickcv wrote: »
    Is it more efficient the solar system or the wind turbines?
    Solar is obviously more efficient on a sunny day , and wind power wins on a stormy night.

Solar is guaranteed to give ZERO power 50% of the time.

And unless you can tap in to the Katabatic wind down in the Antarctic wind isn't continuous either.

They complement each other.

Look at the traffic cameras powered by wind+solar, the panel is very roughly the same area as the swept area of the six bladed fan, so that's probably a good starting point size a system.

It depends on whether you are grid connected / cost of batteries / cost of standby generator / how little power you can live with / how fast you can peddle.

I think I will go to have the house insulated externally..I believe this will guarantee me to save some money in heating. I am not 100% convinced about the wind/solar systems so far :( It doesn't seem very effective to me..I mean, I am not saying it's bad, however it seems that I wouldn't be able to guarantee having the heat or etc through whole year but occasionally when the weather and other factors help for the system to work with full power.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

ctbere wrote: »
    Be grateful if you've avoided doing business with them.

Surface Power are a shower of **** anyway. The fella who owns it is a serious cowboy.

Sounds like ye had somepne install them who didn't do it right. Which is a shame because the solar systems can be amazing.

my source for this is that my brother worked for surface power for over a year. Installed his own solar system on his house and it is amazing. Hot water 24/7 even in winter.

It's a lot to do with the quality of the install!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

truedoom wrote: »
    my source for this is that my brother worked for surface power for over a year. Installed his own solar system on his house and it is amazing. Hot water 24/7 even in winter.

What system did he put in?

• Advertisement
Advertisement