Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flags on Luggage

Options
  • 30-01-2014 3:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Was just browsing stumbleupon and came on a page giving out about people sewing flags to there backpack, Ive met a few people on my wanders and always thought it quiet a cool thing to do.
    Am I in the minority in thinking this :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

astonaidan wrote: »
    Was just browsing stumbleupon and came on a page giving out about people sewing flags to there backpack, Ive met a few people on my wanders and always thought it quiet a cool thing to do.
    Am I in the minority in thinking this :o

I have seen that a lot in my travels through the years. Never done it myself though it is a cool thing to do imo also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Errr, people give out about a lot of things on the internet. Did they have any particular reason to give out in this case or were they just channelling Victor Meldrew?

It's been a *long* time since I backpacked, but I still have my original 1980s backpack (internal frame, advanced for the time) with my Irish flag, Dublin Millennium badge & military style name patch sewn on to it. I think it's cool, but then I'm old fashioned. Mind you, it's up in the attic and hasn't seen the light of day in a long time.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

If it's country flags in particular then I don't think there would be much room left on it after one particular hell for leather interrail in the 80s. I'm not sure how many we did, but this was in the days when you just got the "all of Europe, the bit to the west anyway" pass. We had less countries then, but there's still quite a lot you can hit in 30 days.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

On backpacks/rucksacks, I'm good with it.
    Kinda cool if you're into it; only reason I never did in my rucksack travelling years was i wasn't arsed doing any stitching.

On suitcases or 'proper luggage', not so much.
    Although I don't know if people actually do this; can imagine a certain type of cool, trendy retro hipster type doing it and only assume it would make me think they were even more of a dick than their empty glasses frames had already indicated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

The flags sewn on a back pack with all the countries youve been to is the thing Im talking about, supposedly its a oh ive been to all these countries i sure am great statement.
    I love seeing people with random flags like Surinam

I agree with proper luggage, I wouldnt really throw flags on a suitcase :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

astonaidan wrote: »
    I agree with proper luggage, I wouldnt really throw flags on a suitcase :D

Disagree, the more distinctive your luggage looks, the less likely it is to be taken off the carousel in an innocent mistake and equally I'd contend the less likely it is to be stolen since thieves usually go for stuff that doesn't attract attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Looks kinda cool. And what's wrong with someone displaying countries they've been to? If I'd been to lots of places I wouldn't mind being proud of it.

I'm sure there will be some will give out about it. There will always be someone who'll give out about any topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Gatica wrote: »
    Looks kinda cool. And what's wrong with someone displaying countries they've been to? If I'd been to lots of places I wouldn't mind being proud of it.

I'm sure there will be some will give out about it. There will always be someone who'll give out about any topic.
    Thats the feeling Im getting from ye guys, most likely people against something are louder as usual

Advertisement