Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why have you probably not heard of Hector Lombard ?

• 05-02-2010 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17 con-chance

Why have I not heard more about this fighter?
    He's a relentless beasteating nutbag, Olympic Judoka and fast as fcuk!!!

Record 22 - 2 - 1 (Win - Loss - Draw) ( 1 NC )
    Association: ATT
    Height 5'9" (176cm)
    Weight 185lbs (84kg)

Last 3 years: 15 wins (11 in a row), 1 Draw, O losses

Says he wants Henderson AND Mousassi this year.
    I reckon would be an epic war between him and Alves OR GSP(if GSP comes up a bit)
    UFC really need to get this guy!!

Here's a good HL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdbU7HgyEGQ

some high'n'mighties will pull out the 'who has he fought' card
    ....either way he looks seriously good

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭mkahnisbent

Well, who has he fought?

I could get a 22 - 2 - 1 record by picking my fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Brawler more than anything , seems to have a big punch in fairness.

i dont see him being able to beat hendo or Mousassi.

Always a Punchers chance?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 con-chance

Who you beat is massively important, but in this case that's the whole point - this guy hasn't been given a chance at the top top guys yet (although he has fought some good fighters) and he evidently disserves that chance, otherwise people will be making similar conjecture as we are 2 years from now.
    I wouldn't say he's just a brawler either although I don't think that's necessarily a slight on a fighter as I think the 'art' of boxing i.e. combinations and the 'Sweet Science' is over rated in Pro MMA and I'd say if you broke down the last 100 K.O.'s in the UFC you could put 80% or more into the 'got one in there amongst the barage or exchange' category as opposed to the 'I parried, he hooked, I Slipped and threw an intended left hook right cross combo' etc..
    - his style seems to be ultra confident shock'n'awe type relentless aggression to overwhelm and find an early opening and finish the fight with strikes a.s.a.p.- the obvious goal in fighting, whether he has a fall back plan is another story - he is a decent wrestler and from his judo fights and submissions achieved I reckon he is a decent and powerful grappler as well, add to that good cardio (and apparently he has bags of that) and all in all you have the MAKINGS of a top drawer contender which IS my point otherwise we would have heard plenty about Hektor and a thread like this would have no point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

He was supposed to fight Karo in the UFC a couple of years ago but couldnt get his visa issues resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

He is defo interesting to watch. Got some mean GNP on him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

The guys a total beast, went to the 2000 Olympics in Judo.

Like to see him fight some top 20 guys then eventually top 10. i think it would be a touch preemptive to jump in against Mousassi or Henderson just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

looks messy tbh
    more of a street fighter than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I concur with Sid justice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Seems to just charge at the opponent. Good game plan though and it seems to be working for him.
    I didnt like when he just start punching the other fella who wanted to touch gloves in that video, Very cheap shot.
    According to his record Mousassi already beat him and I reakon he would again.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

One to look out for.Explosive,killer instinct.Seems to be very strong,can strike and seems to have good jitz,but then again cant really judge from a few clips

• Advertisement

Spoiler about recent bellator fight
    Hector knocks late replacement (paulo filho withdrew) ufc veteran jay silva out in 6 seconds of first round

Hector is training out of ATT in Florida and is on a tear at the moment, he got his BJJ black recently from the ATT crowd, no small feat. So Judo bb (olympian), bjj bb and viscious muay thai makes this guy one of the most important MWs outside of the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

The fight is on youtube.
    Its lombard vs jay silva
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bg4cneBmME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

Goin for a guy trying to touch gloves? dirt.

Neither of them went to touch gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Quote Joe Silva from the UFC 110 Q&A "We made a deal and were on the verge of signing him but he ran into visa issues and couldn't get a visa."

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

I'd love to see Lombard/Palhares and Lombard/Jacaré down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

didnt this guy already lose to mousasi?

didnt this guy already lose to mousasi?
    A while back in his career yeah. But lombard should be fighting at the top level. Hes got power and is quite a good striker. Unbelievable ground and pound and has conditioning for days. Cant remember the last time i saw him on his back though.
    When and off who did he earn his bjj bb kev?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Yeah, lost a decision nearly four years ago and hasn't lost since.

A while back in his career yeah. But lombard should be fighting at the top level. Hes got power and is quite a good striker. Unbelievable ground and pound and has conditioning for days. Cant remember the last time i saw him on his back though.
    When and off who did he earn his bjj bb kev?

Got his Blackbelt off Marcus "Conan" Silveira a Carlson Gracie Sr. black belt earlier this year (March) . Read it on wikipedia mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Dana White: 'If Hector Lombard wants to fight in the UFC, we'll probably end up with him'

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/3/7/2851942/ufc-bellator-dana-white-hector-lombard-bjorn-rebney

here we go again... talk of him signing... Will Dana price Bellator out? I can't imagine that Bellator have offered him a new contract at anything like the level Dana would be willing to go to... interesting business dynamics at play here methinks.

Is he just a can-crusher? I don't reckon so... but I've been hypin this guy for years after seeing him do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_8KfmSZrw
    and that was only up to 2006 !!!

since then

he's done this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLXhvSYndUQ&feature=related
    and this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm86yS8hg94&feature=related
    and this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAGATeuVql4&feature=related
    and this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3s8YHv7BiM

Easiest way to look at it is.. who out of this list do you think he'd beat?

1. Anderson Silva

- no but maybe

2. Chael Sonnen

- great fight... don't know

3. Vitor Belfort

- another great fight... don't know

4. Michael Bisping

- would take Bisping down at will and great JuJa fight on the deck - prob end in Lombard G'n'P TKO

5. Mark Munoz

- The Perfect fight... don't know

6. Tim Boetsch

- Boetch is an animal...great heart...never say die... but he'd be massacred... although Lombard might have to stick him with a wooden stake and then burn his corpse or he'd come back and win!

7. Yushin Okami

- dead... too slow...take down...dead

9. Rousimar Palhares

- great fight... BRILLLIANT FIGHT... Hulk v The Thing

65770thing_vs_hulk.jpg

10. Chris Weidman

- nah...dead

Would need to offer him $200,000 per fight for 3 fights
    Pricey but if he steamrolled 3 top 10's it could get very interesting very quickly and I reckon he could do that by this time next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,920 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Would need to offer him $200,000 per fight for 3 fights
    Pricey but if he steamrolled 3 top 10's it could get very interesting very quickly and I reckon he could do that by this time next year!
    Why $200k? He isn't getting near that in belator is he?

For the first season. The tourney winners got paid well. Winning the lot (3 x show money + 3 x win money) was $175k. But it dropped in season 2.

He prob up the top of the pay ranks. But I'd say he is $50k to show and same again to win.

I can't see Lombard beating any of those guys. Send him to Strikeforce. God knows Rockhold needs actual middleweights to fight.

He's a good fighter but he's hardly fought the cream of the crop at middleweight. Shlemenko would be the best he's fought in a while. I wouldn't go as far as calling him a can crusher but the opponents he's had have been questionable.
    He's not in the top ten MW's so that'll bring the bargaining down a bit.

haha fair enough 200k is ridiculous alright but I'd still say around 100k for couple fights so Dana can see if this lad can beat Boetch or Okami say... Surely you think he has a decent chance against either of them?

I reckon he could walk through them..... judo, subs, strength, speed takedowns and one punch KO power!

haha fair enough 200k is ridiculous alright but I'd still say around 100k for couple fights so Dana can see if this lad can beat Boetch or Okami say... Surely you think he has a decent chance against either of them?

I reckon he could walk through them..... judo, subs, strength, speed takedowns and one punch KO power!

Yushin Okami got paid 50,000 for his title fight with Silva. If he would've won then he would have gotten 100,000. Only real fans know who Hector Lombard is so he's hardly going to earn them huge PPV money so I think 30 and 30 would be the max for a guy like Lombard.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Yeah, can't see him getting any 6 figure contract (unless he gets win bonus and FOTN as well), he's just not proven against top guys. But do you put him into Strikeforce which Dana is obviously trying to wind down? I reckon get him in the UFC but start him against a Court McGee or someone like that. Get him a few wins against up and comers then maybe see if he's ready for a top 10.

PauloConn wrote: »
    Yeah, can't see him getting any 6 figure contract (unless he gets win bonus and FOTN as well), he's just not proven against top guys. But do you put him into Strikeforce which Dana is obviously trying to wind down? I reckon get him in the UFC but start him against a Court McGee or someone like that. Get him a few wins against up and comers then maybe see if he's ready for a top 10.

Might seem like I'm mad or have something against Lombard but I reckon Court could take him to a decision...
    I like Lombard myself but he's 10 pound of manure in a 5 pound bag if you excuse the expression

PauloConn wrote: »

Might seem like I'm mad or have something against Lombard but I reckon Court could take him to a decision...
    I like Lombard myself but he's 10 pound of manure in a 5 pound bag if you excuse the expression

Hahaha fair enough I guess we'll have to wait n see...
    (but when he's throttling Sonnen in a contender decider next year I promise I won't say I told yez so)

Have a feeling Lombard will end up staying in Bellator .... It'll cost Dana min 200k to show, for a 3 fight deal I reckon and he may just leave him to Viacom and Bellator what with Lombards age and risk factor etc

personally I think he's got 3 years top level fighting in him if he can continue to get in under 185... He probably walks around north of 210..

Best guy UFC doesn't have!

Who else is at that level that they haven't grabbed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

Lombard would do quite well at 185 but he has gas issues. He could easy make 170 if he trimmed down on some of the muscle mass and if he did sign to the UFC he'd probably fight at welterweight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bagels90

shinya aoki.. gilbert melendez definitely... id like to see ben askren in the ufc dont think hes anywhere near GSP but definitely worth a shot.. hector is a beast and definitely in the top 5. id also like to see jacare in there as well .. technically nate marquardt is probably the best outside the ufc but obviously he aint heading back anytime soon

Advertisement