Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boy Racer On L Plates Car Confiscated.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I'm all on for factual reports but in this case I dont see anything wrong with a little scaremongering.
    Maybe if storys like this start to get around then those little scumbags might actually think about how they behave. They might actually start to think twice about driving in circles around housing estates all night if they are afraid of getting their car taken off them and having to walk home to mammy and daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

mondeo wrote: »
    Good to hear them towing that car away, regardless if it was because he was a boyracer or not...One less inconsiderate driver of the road thank god.

Loving the sweeping comments being made based on absolutely NO information.

I especially like the way if you're a young male learner driver you're automatically assumed a boy racer. (That's not directed at you mondeo)

There's just as many grannies/grandads or just grossly incompetent middle-aged men and women out there that rarely get any grief. Mostly because they're your mams/dads and you've just come to accept their **** driving due to sitting in the backseat of their car for so many years.

I've had loads of near misses from people who should definitely be made sit their test again, yet I don't think I've ever had a near miss from a boy racer. I'm not saying they're never involved in accidents because they are, but I think it's blown way out of proportion and they're totally being used as scapegoats for the Irish people's serious lack of driving skill.

For example, had this been your Aunt who's been driving on a provisional license for the past 25 years, who got pulled up in New Ross and had their car confiscated, would we even be discussing this? I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I hope it lasts longer than the usual kneejerk reaction from the higher officers. Nice to see it happening though, always warms my cold cold heart! :D

I reckon the accompanying driver rule should be enforced thoroughly, the accompanying driver might be able to stem the moments of utter stupidity that can be so prevalent in all of us when we were learning to drive.

Hey MA, quick (semi-related) question.

What kind of liability/responsibility does the accompanying driver have for the actions of the learner driver. Are they merely there to be able to drive the car home if the learner can't continue the journey, or do they have a duty to intervene if the learner is being irresponsible or unsafe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Vertakill wrote: »

I especially like the way if you're a young male learner driver you're automatically assumed a boy racer. (That's not directed at you mondeo)

There's just as many grannies/grandads or just grossly incompetent middle-aged men and women out there that rarely get any grief. Mostly because they're your mams/dads and you've just come to accept their **** driving due to sitting in the backseat of their car for so many years.

I've had loads of near misses from people who should definitely be made sit their test again, yet I don't think I've ever had a near miss from a boy racer. I'm not saying they're never involved in accidents because they are, but I think it's blown way out of proportion and they're totally being used as scapegoats for the Irish people's serious lack of driving skill.

+1 - there's LOADS of people who are unsafe drivers and should be put off the roads.

I don't think being a young male learner driver instantly qualifies you as a boy racer, but being a racer nearly guarantees you're a young, male, probably learner driver.

I'd much rather be hit by
    a) some old incompetent biddy at 5 miles per hour because she can't see over the steering wheel
    or
    b) some young learner girl at 10 miles per hour because she was too busy rearranging her nodding dog collection on the dashboard of her Nissan Micra (that she's named Dolly)
    than
    c) the "boy racer" who's coming around a blind corner well beyond his abilities or the abilities of his car

That's a lot of stereotyping before noon, but you get my point...
    For example, had this been your Aunt who's been driving on a provisional license for the past 25 years, who got pulled up in New Ross and had their car confiscated, would we even be discussing this? I doubt it.

I'd hope that they get equal coverage, it's only by publicising the enforcement of traffic laws that you get changes in driver behaviour.

"[it] is of fundamental importance that justice should not only be done, but should manifestly and undoubtedly be seen to be done" - Lord Hewart CJ

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭af666x

+1 also.

If there's even a shred of truth in the OP, I'd laugh.

But hey - you'd make a great tabloid journalist!

EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!!
    INTERNET USER WIELDS STEREOTYPE AND PROVOKES DEBATE AND SARCASM AMONGST FORUM USERS

TOPLESS PICTURES OF LINDSAY LOHAN ON PAGE 16!!!

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Where's pg16?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

af666x wrote: »

But hey - you'd make a great tabloid journalist!

Or the Indo... ;)

Either way, this is the same old debate about Boy Racers. I'm of the firm belief that if we shot them all or sent them to work in labour camps the problem would disappear soon enough.

/tongue in cheek. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Okay. Talked to the guys from New Ross this morning.

Point 1. It was a young male driver in a Glanza.
    Point 2. It was not just down to L plates. He was not properly taxed or insured either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Just as an aside. Can a cop order an illegal L plater to stop driving on the spot and make his/her own way to their destination?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Just as an aside. Can a cop order an illegal L plater to stop driving on the spot and make his/her own way to their destination?

I would assume so.

Illegal driving is illegal driving.

It's a bit like asking "should a drunk driver be allowed to continue on after getting a ticket?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Okay. Talked to the guys from New Ross this morning.

Point 1. It was a young male driver in a Glanza.
    Point 2. It was not just down to L plates. He was not properly taxed or insured either.

ah the old 1.3 on log book trick, the amount of young lads insured in them as 1.3 starlets is a joke, the gardai should be stopping and checking them all!

SteveC wrote: »
    I would assume so.

Illegal driving is illegal driving.

It's a bit like asking "should a drunk driver be allowed to continue on after getting a ticket?"

It is as simple as this
    You cannot drive on the road if you only hold a provisional license. the exemption is if you have a qualified driver with min 2 years full license and they have to be fully insured to drive the vehicle and capable of driving (not drunk).
    and it is up to the discression of the Guard as to whether they allow you to drive after being stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

draffodx wrote: »
    ah the old 1.3 on log book trick, the amount of young lads insured in them as 1.3 starlets is a joke, the gardai should be stopping and checking them all!

Ye thats true! Everyone I heard off who had one when they were 17 always said " just insure it as a 1.3, No one is gonna know like "

Either if your an old Biddy at 10kmh with L plates or boyracer with L plates the same practice of punishment should be implemented.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Slig wrote: »
    and it is up to the discression of the Guard as to whether they allow you to drive after being stopped.

I've often wondered about that.

Guard stops you for doing something illegal, issues a summons / ticket, and then sends you on your way doing the same illegal thing - doesn't make sense.

Anyone know if the unaccopmanied drivers are just sent on their way after a checkpoint or do they have to wait for someone to 'collect' them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Anyone know if the unaccopmanied drivers are just sent on their way after a checkpoint or do they have to wait for someone to 'collect' them?

Depends entirely on the location of the detected offence. TheNog is correct in his interpretation of the Road Traffic Act. Cars cannot be seized except where they are suspected of being involved in a crime or where they are not insured or taxed. You can make sure they don't drive unaccompanied, I hope it might knock some sense into them through the sheer inconvenience and bollicking they get when caught.

In the case of VRT evasion. I'm not too clear on it but I assume its possible to seize a car for non-payment of VRT within a reasonable time-frame.

The only time I have heard of somebody being stopped and told they cant drive has been when there was a question if they were over the limit. The guard drove their car back to their house and then walked from there.
    I think the more likely senario is:
    Heres your fine now on your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Yes a learner driver can be ordered to park the car and make their own way or have a full licensed driver collect them and their car.
    The car can also be siezed under VRT legislation in the Finance act.

AFAIK, it can also be 'removed' if it's deemed to be parked illegally / dangerously or causing an obstruction.

True on all counts but rarely happens. For VRT a car can be seized but Customs are notified and if the car is not worth much they will not bother towing it away to their compound. It is then left to the guard who seized it to get rid of it one way or another. Most guards don't want the hassle of it cos it is just hassle. However if the car was worth 30-100 grand customs would be down in a flash.

Seizing car dangerously parked are again rarely towed away. It is usually handier and quicker to contact the owner to have it moved rather than wait for a tow truck. Same for causing an obstruction but it would depends on what the car is obstructing. Different matter if the car is obstructing any emergency services vehicle.
    Slig wrote: »
    it is up to the discression of the Guard as to whether they allow you to drive after being stopped.

True discretion can be used but technically a learner driver should not let on their way of at all possible. If the car cannot be parked in a safe manner near the checkpoint it would be better to send them home bound.
    I've often wondered about that.

Same as above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

TheNog wrote: »
    That's not correct. A car cannot be seized for no NCT. A car can only be seized if there is no tax or insurance under Section 41 of the Road Traffic Act 1994
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yayamark
    A car can be siezed for not having An NCT.

Under what law ?

Under the New Road Traffic Act that came in well over a year ago a car can be siezed under Sec 41 for no Nct

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

yayamark wrote: »
    Under the New Road Traffic Act that came in well over a year ago a car can be siezed under Sec 41 for no Nct
    Is this what you mean?
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/act/pub/0023/sec0019.html#id1151527007.25

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

yayamark wrote: »

Ah my bad :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

kbannon wrote: »

Thank you sir, the amount of people on boards that have argued that with me over the last 18 months is unbelievable.
    TheNog wrote: »
    Ah my bad :o:o

No bother but i'd have thought you'd have known really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

legs11 wrote: »
    Guardai should take all boyracer and skanger cars irrespective whether they have full licences or not tbh.

there, I said it..:cool:

Ridiclious comment, im 22, love cars and have 0 penelty points, i'm lookin into buying a Integra Type R orr s2000 because i love em, I'd be paying to look after it and work very hard to afford it, why should that be taken off me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I'd be paying to look after it and work very hard to afford it, why should that be taken off me?

If you

a) Have a full licence
    b) Have proper insurance as primary driver not getting mammy to insure it
    c) Have taxed it in living memory
    d) Are fully VRT compliant if you imported it
    e) Have a valid NCT if applicable

Then you are clear to drive it as you wish within the parameters of the Road Traffic Acts .

I trust that sets your mind at ease :)

Otherwise its not compliant, its also an obstruction when you are told to get out of the drivers seat and it must be towed away for safety reasons .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If you

Otherwise its not compliant, its also an obstruction when you are told to get out of the drivers seat and it must be towed away for safety reasons .

But the thing is that i'm looking into buying a performance car because i love em not because i want to race it or cause trouble on the roads but as soon as you hear type r you automaticly assume lil boy racer. I hate it.

But i hate this crap also of parents buying high power cars for thier kids, they don't respect the car and will cause trouble. They're the lil boy racer that causes trouble

Advertisement